Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This will probably be the most focus group driven production in human history.

And that's okay.

It will probably be so focus-grouped that it can't actually be bad-bad.

Or good.

Duncan Jones is cool tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It's pretty remarkable how Warcraft lore really doesn't suit the 2015 fantasy landscape at all. I guess that's one of the problems with being in production for 9 years.

Post-Hobbit audiences are probably still at least a little soured on goofball fantasy.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I played WoW back in the day but I don't keep up with any current fantasy books/shows/movies so I have no clue why WoW doesn't suit the current fantasy landscape.

These are just my personal observations, I probably take in less fantasy media than most goons, but as I see it here are some big trends that shifted around since they seemed to have started production in 2006.

1. Young Adult fantasy, which is basically the entire publishing industry's bread and butter at this point, continues to grow every year way way more than other genres. More adult readers than teens.
Clashes with Warcraft on a lot of basic levels, lack of a ~just like me~ teenager protagonist is probably the biggest one. Also not much romance in the Warcraft universe.

2. George RR Martin/Game of Thrones: Obviously the big pop culture fantasy trend of the moment. Dark and morally ambiguous.
Basically the huge clash here is how both series view/reward morality, in the Warcraft universe, morality is always the path to victory. In GoT, those who don't limit themselves with morality are usually the winners.
This is probably the biggest trend in fantasy at the moment, no real heroes on any side.
Now clearly the story is going to have good guy orcs and good guy humans and some morality bits, but it would be surprising if there were any *serious* moral choices made by either side that didn't all work out in the end.

3. "No elves"
Anti-Tolkien. Certainly not a trend born of hatred for LOTR or anything like that, but lately it just seems like if you want to be taken seriously at all these last few years, your best bet is to keep elves out of it (or do it perfectly).

Also on a more general note, the space exploration genre is obviously blasting off and we're probably going to get a ton more space movies than any traditional fantasy in the next few years.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This is still going to be the best video game movie tho probably.

• Locked thread