Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I feel like I'm being shitposterty, but I wish I could see what mind boggling terrible thing(s) you guys are seeing. The movie ain't going to be good, but those shots look fine to me.

I mean, the only way I can see someone thinking those shots are bad are the same folks who'd show screenshots of the Thing prequel and swear up and down the Carpenter movie effects were somehow better.

Show me one finished screen shot from the Thing prequel that looks better than the original's effects shots. I am not counting the inproduction shots that actually looked decent, but the actual released movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I don't have the movie on my tablet, but every CGI shot in the prequel looks better than the stuff from the original, especially if you're going for "Monster that can literally be anything it wants to be at any time." You don't use Power Rangers monsters because you want to, you use em because you don't have a better option. Now, we do, and the only ones kvetching about that progression are the comparitive luddites.

Carpenter's movie is to the prequel as the black-and-white movie is to Carpenter's, effects wise.
You might be arguing past me. Practical effects aren't inherently better than CGI, that'd be silly to argue. However the original is a much better shot film, there is just way more skill in the cinematography, direction, and art design. On a technical level yeah it's as big of a leap as from the black-and-white Thing from Another World, but the resulting movie is nowhere close. It's like comparing the cgi blood swimming pool in Ghost Ship to the practical blood elevator scene in the Shining. Yes I'm sure the cgi blood pool was a technical marvel it doesn't make up for how terrible everything else in the movie was.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The green skin was probably just inspired by Warhammer, back when they hoped to obtain a license to make a Warhammer game. If anyone thought about avoiding racial connotations it was probably the early creators of the Warhammer franchise.
Haha no. The creators of the warhammer franchise were the ones who thought "pygmy" was a good idea as a fantasy army race and the same about modeling orcs are skullshape displays on scientific racism. The orcs in warhammer only started looking not horrifically racist after they started copying warcraft right back in the mid 90s.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My point was that orcs being green had nothing to do with not being racist, and likely came from blatantly copying UK LotR illustrations that had green orcs/goblins.

• Locked thread