Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I haven't followed Blizzard games since the original Warcraft III came out more than 10 years ago but aren't you guys forgetting the third Blizzard story cliche, "heroic leader sacrifices themselves to defeat the ultimate evil"? Or is that less common than I'm remembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

porfiria posted:

You mean Jesus?

For Tassadar so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Lothar that we might drive a soul stone into his forehead to contain an ancient evil.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

What's most striking about this to me (other than how bad a lot of the visual effects look whenever you look at a screen shot) is the total absence of any meaningful characterization. A decent fantasy or sci fi story almost always needs to be grounded with some kind of interesting characters, even if the narrative is plot driven. Think of the contrast between the Original vs the Prequel Star Wars trilogies - the characters in the original

In this Warcraft movie, what do any of these characters want? What distinguishes them as individuals? What endears them to the audience or makes you hate the villains? We get the most boilerplate dumb sounding motivations possible. The villains are "the racist guy" and "the guy who loves war", the heroes are "the guys who want peace", and maybe they love their families too. Oh boy I can already feel the excitement!

The movie's apparent lack of interest in those questions is the greatest red flag to me. There's no indication in this trailer that the film understands how important decent characters are for this kind of movie. You could have a cornball movie about Orcs throwing around horses and it might still have some entertainment value if you make the other elements work, but if you don't give a poo poo about any of the characters then these CGI driven movies get soooo loving boring.

• Locked thread