Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Wait so the story is there are good orcs and bad orcs and they each have different skin colors and the good orcs team up with humans to fight the bad orcs? That's the story they decided to make for this movie?

I never saw Smurfs 2 but this feels like Smurfs 2. Is this Smurfs 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

To be fair, there's a thematic elephant-in-the-room, since Wacraft 3 retconned the Orcs from mindless evil people to noble savage/hosed-by-demons. You want to use the latter (because if you're thinking Warcraft, you're thinking WC3/WoW), but this is set in the time when the Orcs were the blatant bad guys, so you kinda have to use the cliched-as-gently caress "good guys on both sides are ignored to commence with the fighting" story.

I don't understand why this movie is being made, comprehensively. WoW isn't the Game Everyone Knows And Plays anymore, its not going to get major butts in the seats, etc. And even if it was, the poo poo-but-enjoyable-poo poo isn't the Warcraft 1 poo poo.

If you wanna do an origins/WC1 story, you can have the demon-rage orcs from that time invading Azeroth and have infighting among the orcs because that's just how they are, so you get your orcs vs humans and also orcs vs orcs that they're going for in this movie. I don't even know if they're bringing up the demon stuff or not, but then you also lightly touch on that too.

Or maybe you can have demon-rage orcs vs humans and then OH NO IT'S THE DEMONS BEHIND ALL OF THIS ORCS AND HUMANS UNITE TO FIGHT THEM or something like that I dunno. But then you set up for a sequel where you have the displaced and orcs that are trying to find a homeland and fighting for their place in the world and ally themselves with other races and the humans ally themselves with other races to strengthen themselves against the potential threat of the horde and all hell breaks loose when the demons start unleashing an undead plague on the world or something like that I dunno.

My Warcraft lore isn't that strong so maybe this isn't that coherent for a streamlined plot and is just as bad an idea as what they're doing in the movie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

For comparisons sake heres the WoW:Legion cinematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNCCu0y-Is

Why couldn't Blizzard just give us a full movie of their amazing cinematics? :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

a) Being good at constructing 5 minute scenes of cool stuff doesn't mean you're good at making movies.
b) They're expensive and time consuming as gently caress to make.

I've said for years a movie made in the style of Blizzard cinematics would be about as good as Japanese animated vidya movies like that Tekken film or Advent Children. ie Not very.

Would it have ended up being more expensive, time consuming, and worse than what they ended up doing with what we're actually getting?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean that's basically what this looks like tbh. There are human actors, but I guarantee you could pluck out some orc focused action scene from the film and put it as the intro in the next game and no one would notice the difference

Yeah, but Warcraft is filled with so much unrealistic elements that making the movie live-action is actually kinda limiting, and then when you fall back to CG for some of those more fantastic moments, they stick out in a negative way because they are juxtaposed against the real-life elements that can't keep up.

• Locked thread