Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blizzard's cutscenes usually look really good, why didn't they just make a feature length one. This looks about 300 times uglier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yes, Warcraft will be saved by its writing.

I wonder if someone will become corrupted by power and betray the other characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just for comparison, this is a cutscene from World of Warcraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

The writing and voice acting is pretty terrible, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather watch a movie that looks like that than a movie that looks like the Warcraft trailer.

Of course that would probably be like 300 million dollars more expensive to make.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chieves posted:

The joke is that every character does that.

Yeah it's literally the only plot that Blizzard ever does.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

That actually does happen this early in the series, with Doomhammer betraying Blackhand. (I don't think 20-year-old games need spoiler tags).

This is a bit Trap Sprung but I just noticed you got it backwards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

And Warcraft 1 doesn't have elves.

According to THE LORE warcraft 1 had elves involved in the backstory, kind of in a council of elrond situation, but they didn't take part in the war.

E: Trying to remember the specifics made me remember a bunch of the dumb contradictions that piled up into the story over the years and now I have a headache.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 5, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

The fact that Warcraft doesn't give a gently caress about canon and is willing to ignore whatever gets in the way of what they're trying to do with the actual game sounds really cool and good.

Of course you do. Anytime someone does something stupid and alienating to its audience, someone on SA will rush to praise them for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

The Warhammer thread stands in pretty stark contradiction to this sentiment.

I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks WH40k's terrible writing is "dope" because it makes nerds mad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

No, Doomhammer betrays Blackhand, kills him, takes his place as Warchief, and Metzen drew this to summarize it:

Oh yeah. It's just that Doomhammer was the kinda heroic one, and Blackhand was the big jerk who got retconned into being a pawn of Gul'dan, so his betrayal doesn't really fit the kinda Blizzard cliche I was talking about, where everyone is either Saruman or Anakin Skywalker.

Why is so much of my brain space occupied by Warcraft lore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

I never read those retcons so I just remembered Blackhand as "placeholder 1st warchief before Doomhammer".

He was a big rear end in a top hat, Doomhammer actually tried to meet with Lothar (the Alliance's George Washington) and end the war in Warcraft 2 because he was actually sensible and not blood-crazed for an orc, but Blackhand's rear end in a top hat kids followed him to the secret meeting and killed the guy, and he had to pretend like that was the plan all along to save face with the horde.

Once again, it's a shame that I know this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

Everyone pulled double duty on those games, even if they sucked. Bill Roper voiced every character in Warcraft I.

Metzen still voices pretty much every bad guy as well as Thrall in WoW, but I think that's ego and not cost cutting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

porfiria posted:

You mean Jesus?

Fun fact, the humans actually were Christians in the original Warcraft, until they changed that sometime during WC2, although their churches still had crosses.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They reaaaally should've gone full CG with this. Everything that actually has a person standing around looks awful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've not read much C.S. Lewis but I'm going to assume he doesn't constantly change his mind about key plot points.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7olh2I0dN7w&t=282s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even good film-makers can make lovely movies, and this movie looks pretty lovely. I don't understand what Duncan Jones has done to earn this blind faith.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

It's so bizarre to me that they are basing the movie off of Warcraft and not World of Warcraft. Why would you do just Orcs and Humans when you could have the Burning Legion, Arthas, etc plus all the cool races and stuff. Seems like a missed opportunity.

They've wanted to tell the story "from the beginning" since this movie was in the works. One of the main reasons it got delayed is that nobody gives a gently caress about just orcs vs humans, people know WoW for all its blue elves and weird space poo poo. I sort of assume one of the reasons the orcs got a refocusing in the game itself in the last expansion was partly to make people who play the game care at all about this film's premise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

so the orcs are brown skinned savages from another world?

ahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Warcraft having terrible racial politics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrX9Ml4TyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBd671LvlZk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only thing funnier than Warcraft's racism is the sexual dimorphism that means even the monster races have women that look fuckable to nerds, usually half the size of the males.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They worked with the horde in Warcraft II though.

Yeah, back when they were just insane alchemists. They turned into war profiteers later on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I thought the whole point of giving orcs green skin was to avoid racial connotations. Why would Blizzard reverse this?

They're very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's really weird because it's obvious the early games were supposed to be taking place in that world's equivalent of Europe, hence why everything is super British and white and christian, but then they went and decided that those are the only humans in the world and the rest of the planet is inhabited by racist cartoon races.

So they had to put in a bunch of unexplained different skin color humans who live in the tiny European human lands. They don't have their own culture or homeland or anything, and everyone in power is white as snow. But that one guard is black, so it's not racist.

• Locked thread