Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My last name has no vowels and it's fun to watch people who aren't familiar with Ng try to pronounce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hippocrass posted:

We have a grand total of six examples of William Shakespeare's signature and he never spells his own name the same way twice.

Yeah, spelling in the Tudor / Elizabethan period in England was 'just do your best with how it sounds to you'. Seeing which words poets of the time apparently thought rhymed with each other is part of how linguists reconstruct the accent of the time, if I understand correctly.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

lehigh valley? that's where the surviving relatives live now anyway. i don't know if that's where they lived previously actually

I’m from Allentown and that doesn’t surprise me either.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Hippocrass posted:

We have a grand total of six examples of William Shakespeare's signature and he never spells his own name the same way twice.

yeah ive seen his signatures and people are full of poo poo if they think he's even a good writer

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, spelling in the Tudor / Elizabethan period in England was 'just do your best with how it sounds to you'. Seeing which words poets of the time apparently thought rhymed with each other is part of how linguists reconstruct the accent of the time, if I understand correctly.

very muchso since orthography was more largely tied to local phonetics than standardized spelling.

one of the great things that helps historical linguists reconstruct how different historical populations spoke is looking at scribal errors-- words that are misspelled because the scribes couldn't hear or tell the difference between the vowels of the original word then get changed in copying texts, or grammatical functions that get dropped by accident when copying because the then-contemporary version of the language has lost certain features which were present in another text.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hippocrass posted:

That just the six different people who wrote the plays in his name.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It certainly doesn't have to be institutional to be endemic, one set of great grandparents changed their name from MacGregor to an anglicized name BC apparently community mistrust of Scots was a thing in interwar Australia for some reason?

In 1603 it actually became punishable by death to bear the name MacGregor in Scotland. They were known for raiding on other clans' land. And in 1603 the conflict became so heated that they fought a battle with clan Colquhoun and after that King James banned the clan.

Biplane posted:

I have a fairly standard first name and two last names, one of which is spanish and consists of two words, and one of THOSE has one of these ó in it. At some point the norwegian government added a hyphen somewhere in there, exactly where depends on which government agency you ask. And my sister somehow misspelled her own name enough times on official forms that the government just quietly changed her messed up norwegianlastname-spanishlastname to something wildly different from everyone else yet still hard to get right.
Norwegian name laws are fun. For example: a surname that is used by less than 200 people is considered a protected surname. So if you want to change your own surname to a protected surname you have to ask each person with that name for permission.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ibblebibble posted:

My last name has no vowels and it's fun to watch people who aren't familiar with Ng try to pronounce it.

it's pronounced "ng"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

venus de lmao posted:

it's pronounced "ng"

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I went to highschool with a guy named Johnny Ng and his nickname was "Johnny Too-Cool" since he was too cool for vowels in his last name. I always thought it was a funny story for a kinda cool nickname.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I went to highschool with a guy named Johnny Ng and his nickname was "Johnny Too-Cool" since he was too cool for vowels in his last name. I always thought it was a funny story for a kinda cool nickname.

Haha, that is pretty cool. Presumably it was given to him (cause it wouldn't be cool if he gave it to himself) - if so, did he take it well?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Haha, that is pretty cool. Presumably it was given to him (cause it wouldn't be cool if he gave it to himself) - if so, did he take it well?

Yeah, his friends gave it to him. He liked it iirc :-)

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
I'm a direct descendant of former Cherokee princess Pocahontas, but most people don't know that because the clowns at Ellis Island changed her name when she immigrated to the usa. They misheard her and changed her name to "Albert Einstein".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dopilsya posted:

I'm a direct descendant of former Cherokee princess Pocahontas, but most people don't know that because the clowns at Ellis Island changed her name when she immigrated to the usa. They misheard her and changed her name to "Albert Einstein".

And thats when she founded the us marine corps :patriot:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Edward Norton is a descendant of Pocahontas.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Alhazred posted:

In 1603 it actually became punishable by death to bear the name MacGregor in Scotland. They were known for raiding on other clans' land. And in 1603 the conflict became so heated that they fought a battle with clan Colquhoun and after that King James banned the clan.

Can’t fool me, it was because of this:

Wikipedia posted:

The Clan is also known to have been among the first families of Scotland to begin playing the bagpipes in the early 17th century.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Friend of mine went to school with a guy named Jihad whose name mysteriously became "Jay" sometime in September 2001.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hippocrass posted:

What a loving idiot

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hippocrass posted:

Speaking of Shakespeare, radar scans of his grave suggests that his skull is missing, probably stolen. Turns out the people who wrote this on his grave wasn't paranoid:“Good friend, for Jesus’ sake forbear, / To dig the dust enclosed here. / Blessed be the man that spares these stones, / And cursed be he that moves my bones.”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of Shakespeare, radar scans of his grave suggests that his skull is missing, probably stolen. Turns out the people who wrote this on his grave wasn't paranoid:“Good friend, for Jesus’ sake forbear, / To dig the dust enclosed here. / Blessed be the man that spares these stones, / And cursed be he that moves my bones.”

I wrote a little bit about this before, but there's a church down the street from me that had a stone from the chancel of Trinity Church [site of the aforementioned tomb] installed into its own chancel in 1926.

Unfortunately, the church has since changed denominations a couple times and, during its takeover by the Roman Catholic church in the 1980s, one person I spoke to recalls seeing it removed and in the basement.

I've tried to get a comment from the church but it's run by a breakaway sect opposed to vernacular masses, who apparently don't answer emails.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4017351&pagenumber=5&perpage=40&highlight=trinity,church#post530730919 for more details.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Mar 29, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

You either die a shakespeare or remain dead long enough to become a yorrick

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I am astounded that this story hasn't been told in this thread, 'cause I could have sworn I had first heard it here, but I checked the search history and saw nothing of his name, so here goes - the misadventures of the unsung hero of the Finnish nation and pioneer of drug culture, Aimo Allan Koivunen.

Now, Aimo's story begins in WW2, but not during the Winter War, but the Continuation War between Finland and the USSR in '44. Now, on a mission, his squad was attacked by the Red Army, and were forced to retreat under exhausting conditions. So exhausting, in fact, that Aimo required chemical stimulation. And in those days, such stimulation for Finnish soldiery took the shape of good ol' methamphetamines.

So, he tried to take the allocated daily amount for one man from the squad's rations. But, it still being bitterly cold, and him already half-dead from exhaustion, he decided to swallow directly from the bottle as opposed to tapping the pills out first, and so ended up taking thirty pills at once. This is where the fun begins.

The next thing Aimo recalls is it being a day later, with no spare supplies and his squad nowhere to be found. He subsisted in the wilderness on pine buds and a bird that he managed to spear with one of his ski poles and ate raw. One night, he managed to find shelter in an abandoned hut, and thought it would be good to warm up with a fire. But he was in such an unhinged state, he forgot to use the fireplace, and so ended up burning the shelter down. He also apparently encountered an enemy patrol, but was either so wired, or the enemy so dumbfounded about encountering a human equivalent of a neutrino, he managed to escape unharmed. During this whole state, he was later determined to have ski'd approximately 250 miles in the wilderness over about two weeks.

He then managed to trigger a landmine. And survived. But this injured him enough that he was out for a week until he was found by the Finnish army and taken to a hospital. His resting BPM was measured at 200.

But thankfully he managed to survive the war, in fact he lived a nice, long life dying in '89. And I think it is safe to say, the incident had no major lasting effects on him.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Mar 29, 2024

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Goddamn, I want to see that movie.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

For some reason I imagine him maniacally humming and singing the whole time.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ommin posted:

Goddamn, I want to see that movie.

Sisu 2: Now He's on Meth.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

canyoneer posted:

Well I'll be

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zopotantor posted:

Sisu 2: Now He's on Meth.

Sisu was a very fun movie. You could make a good movie about the Finns fighting in WWII, but unfortunately they were on the side of the Nazis, so instead they made a movie about one Finnish guy who fights a ton of Nazis.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Jackie Kennedy was a descendant of a dutch pirate

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Chamale posted:

Sisu was a very fun movie. You could make a good movie about the Finns fighting in WWII, but unfortunately they were on the side of the Nazis, so instead they made a movie about one Finnish guy who fights a ton of Nazis.

Well, I guess you could set the movie during the Winter War or the Lapland War (like Sisu was).

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Funnily enough, having two last names, one from each parent (portuguese style) in Sweden, one surname being swedish and one in portuguese, its the swedish surname people most often get wrong. Since its one letter away from a more common surname, and people mix it up with the more common one. Although the single spelling difference does change the meaning of the surname to a similar but different toponym, so its a little more than just an alternate spelling

There are more people in Sweden with my portuguese surname than my Swedish one, everyone swede with that surname is a relative of mine

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Mar 30, 2024

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Alhazred posted:

Norwegian name laws are fun. For example: a surname that is used by less than 200 people is considered a protected surname. So if you want to change your own surname to a protected surname you have to ask each person with that name for permission.

Here the rules generally dont allow swithcing to a established surname if it has less than 2000 users, if you dont have a relation, which seems a bit less generous than the norwegian version.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chamale posted:

I have good news for you about the guy who managed to be a veteran in all the worst ways

quote:

After the Winter War, in June 1941, Törni went to Vienna, Austria for seven weeks of training with the Waffen-SS, and returned to Finland in July; as a Finnish officer, the Germans recognized him as an Untersturmführer. Most of Törni's reputation was based on his successful actions in the Continuation War (1941–44) between the Soviet Union and Finland. In 1943, a unit informally named Detachment Törni was created under his command. This was an infantry unit that penetrated deep behind enemy lines and soon enjoyed a reputation on both sides of the front for its combat effectiveness. One of Törni's subordinates was future President of Finland Mauno Koivisto.

Törni enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1954 under the provisions of the Lodge-Philbin Act and adopted the name Larry Thorne. In the U.S. Army, he was befriended by a group of Finnish-American officers who came to be known as "Marttinen's Men" (Marttisen miehet).

With their support, Thorne joined the U.S. Army Special Forces. While in the Special Forces, he taught skiing, survival, mountaineering, and guerrilla tactics. In turn he attended airborne school, and advanced in rank to sergeant. Receiving his US citizenship in 1957, Thorne attended Officer Candidate School, and was commissioned as a first lieutenant in the Signal Corps. He later received a Regular Army commission and a promotion to captain in 1960. From 1958 to 1962, he served in the 10th Special Forces Group in West Germany at Bad Tölz, from where he was second-in-command of a search and recovery mission high in the Zagros Mountains of Iran, which gained him a notable reputation. When he was in Germany, he briefly visited his relatives in Finland. In an episode of The Big Picture released in 1962 and composed of footage filmed in 1959, Thorne is shown as a lieutenant with the 10th Special Forces Group in the United States Army

He died in Vietnam

Rappaport has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Mar 30, 2024

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

fun historical fact: duct tape was originally called duck tape because it was made from cotton duck cloth with adhesive applied to one side. Also, you can't use the regular stuff on heating ducts because heat will degrade the adhesive and damage the woven backing.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Very recent historical fun fact- up until about 7 years ago it was almost completely illegal to sell alcohol in Ireland on Good Friday (yesterday).
This had the effect of making Good Friday the unofficial day for house parties all over the country.
People who barely ever drank would have a couple on Good Friday just because.
Now that the ban is gone, Good Friday isn't nearly as fun as it used to be :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pookah posted:

Very recent historical fun fact- up until about 7 years ago it was almost completely illegal to sell alcohol in Ireland on Good Friday (yesterday).
This had the effect of making Good Friday the unofficial day for house parties all over the country.
People who barely ever drank would have a couple on Good Friday just because.
Now that the ban is gone, Good Friday isn't nearly as fun as it used to be :(

In Germany, dancing is still banned on Good Friday. All clubs and stuff are actually closed.

I think they don't really throw house parties in response though.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Carbon dioxide posted:

In Germany, dancing is still banned on Good Friday. All clubs and stuff are actually closed.

I think they don't really throw house parties in response though.

No dancing? That's so bizarre, I though Germany was mostly secular these days.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No dancing mania....

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

They still love to ban things though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzQKwSnCewU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Pookah posted:

I have a German buddy who was bitching that since he's a registered Protestant he gets taxed by the government to pay his tithe.

This is my sole data-point.