Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just started reading an English translation of Cellini's autobiography, and 20 pages in I'm thinking this guy is a narcissistic lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gczkM8cL2hs&t=58s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Loved that show.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lobok posted:

Loved that show.

EDIT NM It's the name of the fuckin' video lol

Barry Foster has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Apr 20, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's 'horrifying European history', I present to you the Ypres tradition of the Kattenstoet, or festival of cats. 'How can this be horrifying?' I hear you ask 'a festival of cats sounds absolutely charming!' well, just you wait.

For you see, this is not a celebration of cats, more a... Celebration of how Ypres used to TREAT cats. Namely, they used to throw them to their deaths from a belfry for... Some reason?! People have supposed it is because they have been linked to witchcraft, others proposed they were thrown to their death after the yearly selling of clothes because... The people of Ypres are cat-killing scum?!

Anyways, the modern day festival pays homage to his practice by flinging stuffed animals from the high buildings to children below, instead of being humiliated and disgusted that such a monstrous thing was part of their city's history.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The kaiser let Ypres off lightly

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, if the cat-tossing fad ever comes back, you have generations of people trained to safely catch them before they hit the ground.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samovar posted:

Anyways, the modern day festival pays homage to his practice by flinging stuffed animals from the high buildings to children below, instead of being humiliated and disgusted that such a monstrous thing was part of their city's history.

That's Europe baby

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Samovar posted:

In today's 'horrifying European history', I present to you the Ypres tradition of the Kattenstoet, or festival of cats. 'How can this be horrifying?' I hear you ask 'a festival of cats sounds absolutely charming!' well, just you wait.

For you see, this is not a celebration of cats, more a... Celebration of how Ypres used to TREAT cats. Namely, they used to throw them to their deaths from a belfry for... Some reason?! People have supposed it is because they have been linked to witchcraft, others proposed they were thrown to their death after the yearly selling of clothes because... The people of Ypres are cat-killing scum?!

Well, the French historically HATES cats.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Samovar posted:

The treatment of animals is a historical horrifying fact. In early modern Europe, animals were considered to have no rights at all, and sports like bear-baiting and fox-tossing were popular. Children were given songbirds with broken wings as toys.

In the early 20th century, rabbits were used for pregnancy tests by injecting a woman's urine into them. After a day, the rabbit was killed and dissected, and if the woman was pregnant her hormones would make the rabbit's uterus swell up.

Hamsters can become pregnant from human sperm (with non-viable offspring), so this was a method of male fertility testing. Humster cells are still used in medical research today because they aren't covered by laws prohibiting human stem cell research.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

quote:

However, in 1750, a female donkey was acquitted of charges of bestiality due to witnesses to the animal's virtue and good behaviour while her co-accused human was sentenced to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_trial

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chamale posted:

The treatment of animals is a historical horrifying fact. In early modern Europe, animals were considered to have no rights at all, and sports like bear-baiting and fox-tossing were popular. Children were given songbirds with broken wings as toys.

In the early 20th century, rabbits were used for pregnancy tests by injecting a woman's urine into them. After a day, the rabbit was killed and dissected, and if the woman was pregnant her hormones would make the rabbit's uterus swell up.

Hamsters can become pregnant from human sperm (with non-viable offspring), so this was a method of male fertility testing. Humster cells are still used in medical research today because they aren't covered by laws prohibiting human stem cell research.

Holy poo poo I learned something completely weird about hamsters

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Kudos to the podcast Noble Blood for the episode on The Hautefaye case, a terrible lynching with unfounded but kinda justified rumors of cannibalism!

quote:

According to witnesses, Alain de Monéys' head was "like a globe of blood".
It does not get any less violent.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HopperUK posted:

Holy poo poo I learned something completely weird about hamsters

Ok ok, calm down, Mr. Gere. Go get a paper bag if you're gonna get all hyperventilatey about it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lobok posted:

Ok ok, calm down, Mr. Gere. Go get a paper bag if you're gonna get all hyperventilatey about it.

And now I *remembered* something completely weird about hamsters

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Wikipedia posted:

In the same way, it is through the trials of pigs that not only the direct author of the crime is recognized, but there could also be "accomplices", as in the case of the village of Saint-Marcel-le-Jeussey in 1379, in which two herds of these animals were said to have rioted and expressed the approval of an infanticide committed by other pigs; although the pigs found guilty of homicide were sentenced to execution, thanks to the request of the owner of the two herds to the Duke of Burgundy, the animals accused of complicity were pardoned.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the pardon was granted thanks to some brilliant rethoric by a simple, small town Burgundian lawyer.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Offler posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the pardon was granted thanks to some brilliant rethoric by a simple, small town Burgundian lawyer.

Now Your Honour, can we say for certain that the child did not have bad vibes? Whomst among us has not rejoiced at the death of such a child? I rest my case.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
To be fair, capital punishment for pigs can have delicious consequences.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

These trials against animals sure sound like kangaroo courts.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Chamale posted:

"Good news! The tests came back, and your sperm are viable enough to successfully impregnate a hamster!

The bad news? Your dick is small enough to successfully impregnate a hamster"

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

"You said chinchilla sized, I heard chinchilla shaped."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmao

teen witch posted:

Kudos to the podcast Noble Blood for the episode on The Hautefaye case, a terrible lynching with unfounded but kinda justified rumors of cannibalism!

It does not get any less violent.

What does hooves mean in this context?

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 15:26 on May 6, 2024

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7mEB2wnDLQ&t=163s

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
its not hard to see even today pretty callous instrumental approach to animals when i go back to my native south european countryside, where people are fine keeping dogs in outdoor caged enclosures (small enough to be just a big cage really) or have them on a long chain out in the yard at night or when nobodys home.

Or the killing method used until pretty recently for slaughtering suckling pigs to prep for the roasting

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 15:49 on May 6, 2024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Manchester was possibly named after boobs.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Falukorv posted:

its not hard to see even today pretty callous instrumental approach to animals when i go back to my native south european countryside, where people are fine keeping dogs in outdoor caged enclosures (small enough to be just a big cage really) or have them on a long chain out in the yard at night or when nobodys home.

Err... where else then, if they aren't indoors dogs?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Valiantman posted:

Inside a fence

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You can have a miniature building for a dog. Call it a dog domicile or something.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

A pup tent.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the literal translation of the czech name for a doghouse is a dog's chalet, which i think is quite nice.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NoiseAnnoys posted:

the literal translation of the czech name for a doghouse is a dog's chalet, which i think is quite nice.
Oh, like a dog dacha?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Valiantman posted:

Some are in pretty dire settings, that wouldn’t even be legal to keep in my other country. But the worst are those that are essentially outdoor cages a few square metres on a concrete floor, so it’s a step up from that at least

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Falukorv posted:

Some are in pretty dire settings, that wouldn’t even be legal to keep in my other country. But the worst are those that are essentially outdoor cages a few square metres on a concrete floor, so it’s a step up from that at least

Oh, well in that case.

I mean, obviously there needs to be an earth floor and a shelter of some kind plus enough room and so on. Surrounded by a cage still.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dogmicile

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Canary Islands.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

zedprime posted:

Oh, like a dog dacha?

aint no dachas west of uhzhhorod. we're in chata country.

(but actually it's psí bouda [bouda pro psy sometimes]).

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds more like the dog gulag from what I’m hearing

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There were laws preventing animal cruelty in the US before there were laws about child abuse. Some early convictions for beating kids used the animal abuse laws.
Same idea, right? Kids and animals are both living creatures that belong to you!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Chamale posted:

how the gently caress did we find this out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
some morally inept fucker, probably