Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Doesnt surprise me, German shops close on sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sleepy.eyes posted:

I have a German buddy who was bitching that since he's a registered Protestant he gets taxed by the government to pay his tithe.

This is my sole data-point.

skill issue. i fixed that when i was 17

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Falukorv posted:

Doesnt surprise me, German shops close on sundays.

Good, this idea that stores need to be open 24/7 365 is absurd. Let people rest

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaius Marius posted:

Irritating when it's required to be on a specific day, however

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Carthag Tuek posted:

skill issue. i fixed that when i was 17

Yep. I looked back at it and he was saying it was bullshit that you had to opt out.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean sure but shops not being open Sunday is literally a throwback to a time when Christian religious practices determined government policy in many countries and it's dumb

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I mean sure but shops not being open Sunday is literally a throwback to a time when Christian religious practices determined government policy in many countries and it's dumb

Compromise:
Have all stores closed on Wednesdays.

No exceptions.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Make it Monday and you've got a deal who is doing poo poo on Monday Thai takeaway joints have the right idea

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Compromise:

No exceptions.

So we're worshipping Odin now?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Compromise:

No exceptions.

Sit down, Pierre.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: oh there were more posts

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Apr 1, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everybody needs a different day off.

I had trouble managing my alcoholism when working a 2 on 2 off shift in a state with blue laws. Now that I travel for work I would certainly die if there was one whole day I couldn't buy a hamburger from a counter.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

zedprime posted:

Everybody needs a different day off.

The Soviets tried that 1929–1931 but had to abandon it because people hated it and machines didn't get serviced because they had no downtime.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The Soviets tried that 1929–1931 but had to abandon it because people hated it and machines didn't get serviced because they had no downtime.
Same picture meme with this as frame 1 and with modern 24/7 and 12/7 calendars as frame 2.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Reading 'London Labour and the London Poor' which is, ah, dated to say the least (protip: skip the initial chapter about phrenology) but also has amazing stuff like this:

quote:

“ONCE TRY YOU’LL COME AGAIN.

Slap-up Tog and out-and-out Kicksies Builder.

Mr. —— nabs the chance of putting his customers awake, that he has just made his escape from Russia, not forgetting to clap his mawleys upon some of the right sort of Ducks, to make single and double backed Slops for gentlemen in black, when on his return home he was stunned to find one of the top manufacturers of Manchester had cut his lucky and stepped off to the Swan Stream, leaving behind him a valuable stock of Moleskins, Cords, Velveteens, Plushes, Swandowns, &c., and I having some ready in my kick, grabbed the chance, and stepped home with my swag, and am now safe landed at my crib. I can turn out toggery of every description very slap up, at the following low prices for

Ready Gilt—Tick being no go.

Upper Benjamins, built on a downey plan, a monarch to half a finnuff. Slap up Velveteen Togs, lined with the same, 1 pound 1 quarter and a peg. Moleskin ditto, any colour, lined with the same, 1 couter. A pair of Kerseymere Kicksies, any colour, built very slap up, with the artful dodge, a canary. Pair of stout Cord ditto, built in the ‘Melton Mowbray’ style, half a sov. Pair of very good broad Cord ditto, made very saucy, 9 bob and a kick. Pair of long sleeve Moleskin, all colours, built hanky-spanky, with a double fakement down the side and artful buttons at bottom, half a monarch. Pair of stout ditto, built very serious, 9 times. Pair of out-and-out fancy sleeve Kicksies, cut to drop down on the trotters, 2 bulls. Waist Togs, cut long, with moleskin back and sleeves, 10 peg. Blue Cloth ditto, cut slap, with pearl buttons, 14 peg. Mud Pipes, Knee Caps, and Trotter Cases, built very low.

“A decent allowance made to Seedy Swells, Tea Kettle Purgers, Head Robbers, and Flunkeys out of Collar.

“N.B. Gentlemen finding their own Broady can be accommodated.”

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/55998/pg55998-images.html

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Unkempt posted:

Reading 'London Labour and the London Poor' which is, ah, dated to say the least (protip: skip the initial chapter about phrenology) but also has amazing stuff like this:

Aggressive Retro-Phrenologist is my dream job.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Marcade posted:

Aggressive Retro-Phrenologist is my dream job.

Terry Pratchett beat you to the joke.

'Crib' being ancient slang that took on a new life pleases me.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
And while I'm at it, here's something else I ran across recently - the biggest battle by number of combatants of the American War of Independence. Not what I was expecting.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Unkempt posted:

And while I'm at it, here's something else I ran across recently - the biggest battle by number of combatants of the American War of Independence. Not what I was expecting.

:staredog: yeah, wasn't expecting that, either

I knew France did our naval fighting but I didn't know Spain got involved, or that there were engagements involving that many people.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Unkempt posted:

If France hadn't committed, Britain would never have stopped. The USA owes it existence to :france:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of wars of that era in particular have at least one side involved getting into ridiculous opportunistic poo poo. Strategy game players will understand how it goes, a casus beli is a great excuse to settle scores and go after bits of territory you want.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Yeah a lot history makes more sense after you've played Dominions PBEM at rate of 2 turns per week with constant diplomacy emails for every turn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:staredog: yeah, wasn't expecting that, either

I knew France did our naval fighting but I didn't know Spain got involved, or that there were engagements involving that many people.

Globally speaking, it was more or less an extension of the previous wars of the era. The Dutch were also involved, mainly attacking British ships and ports in the Caribbean.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If France hadn't committed, Britain would never have stopped. The USA owes it existence to :france:

And thanks to helping us the French got to dust off their guillotines, so we're even

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of wars of that era in particular have at least one side involved getting into ridiculous opportunistic poo poo. Strategy game players will understand how it goes, a casus beli is a great excuse to settle scores and go after bits of territory you want.

Spain just wanted a prettier border.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Philippe posted:

Spain just wanted a prettier border.
Not sure past tense is justified here.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Azhais posted:

And thanks to helping us the French got to dust off their guillotines, so we're even

That's a fun way of expressing "new number ho dis" dissing as a national core foreign policy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tfw ur in a consensual and mutual armed neutrality league and the goddamn french leave your polycule for the english, of all nations. the english. war criminals, the lot of you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

tfw ur in a consensual and mutual armed neutrality league and the goddamn french leave your polycule for the english, of all nations. the english. war criminals, the lot of you

French spies claim immunity to honeytraps as their wives already know they have affairs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That's a fun way of expressing "new number ho dis" dissing as a national core foreign policy

"The Revolutionary War was started for noble reasons, not financial ones" as America immediately forgets its war debts to France.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/yakabikaj/status/1780601741832306804

For a given value of fun.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

'Pimp of an infidel' is a pretty strong insult. And one I would throw around if I were in a similar situation.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am reminded of this guy from the 1640s with strong feelings about literary critics. Can't recall who, it was in the foreword of a book of travel stories I have.

'If thou beest a Villain, a Ruffian, a Momus, a Knave, a Carper, a Critick, a Bubo, a stupid Asse, and a gnawing Worme with envious Lips, I bequeath thee to a Carnificiall reward, where a hempen Rope will soon dispatch thy snarling slander, and free my toylesome Travailes and now painefull Labours, from the deadly Poyson of thy sharpe edged calumnies, and so goe hang thy selfe; for I neither will respect thy Love, nor regard thy Malice.'

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

HopperUK posted:

I am reminded of this guy from the 1640s with strong feelings about literary critics. Can't recall who, it was in the foreword of a book of travel stories I have.

'If thou beest a Villain, a Ruffian, a Momus, a Knave, a Carper, a Critick, a Bubo, a stupid Asse, and a gnawing Worme with envious Lips, I bequeath thee to a Carnificiall reward, where a hempen Rope will soon dispatch thy snarling slander, and free my toylesome Travailes and now painefull Labours, from the deadly Poyson of thy sharpe edged calumnies, and so goe hang thy selfe; for I neither will respect thy Love, nor regard thy Malice.'

Eh, I give it a 4 out of 10 at best.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hippocrass posted:

Eh, I give it a 4 out of 10 at best.

(USER LOSETH POSTYNG PRIVILYGES FOR FOUR AND TWENTY HOURS)

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

HopperUK posted:

Regard not, thy Mod malice.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

HopperBritannia posted:

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

HopperUK posted:

William Lithgow- “Rare adventures and painefull peregrinations”

At least I’m pretty sure anyway, the quote sounds really familiar.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

A gnawing Worme with more envious lips mine eyes have not Seent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh, the lips EXPRESS envy for other things. They aren't, in themselves, objects of envy.