Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

doodlebugs posted:

Yang Kyoungjong was a Korean soldier who fought for the Japanese Army, the Soviet Army and the German Wehrmacht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong

This guy would be the luckiest unlucky gently caress alive were it not for the dude who survived both atomic bombings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Offler posted:

The first time I heard about the Swedish chef was when I was 17 and studied in an American high school for a year. I found him strange then, and I still do. Not because of the way he speaks, I'm obviously not the right person to say if he accurately portrays how Swedish sounds to people who don't speak the language. No, what I find strange is the idea of a Swedish chef working in America in the 70s. What kind of food was he serving back then? I'm sure there are hundreds of Swedish hipster chefs serving Reindeer meatballs infused with lingonberries or whatever in New York or L.A. today, but why would you advertise that you had a Swedish chef back in the 70s? Wasn't 90% of our food back then just variants of meat, potatoes and brown sauce?

Maybe I'm showing my uncultured rear end here, but I don't think chefs made traditional Swedish food back then. Now, I grew up in a small town with zero restaurants, but even when we travelled to the regional big city the only restaurants we ever ate at back in the 80s were ones that cooked food in large batches and your only choice was between the fish option or the meat option. Good luck finding even a vegetarian option in any of these places outside of Stockholm in the 70s. I wanna say that the vast majority of restaurants here back in the 70s were this kind, so no need for chefs there. But, based on nothing but a gut feeling, I'll confidently state that the chefs working in fancy hotel restaurants back in the 70s didn't make traditional Swedish food, but rather did their best attempt at French or possibly Italian restaurant food. They'd either have been to culinary school in France themselves, or more likely they'd worked for a guy who'd worked for a guy who did.

So what's the deal with the Swedish chef? Am I overthinking this? Is it just a chef that happens to be Swedish, and not a chef serving Swedish food?

He thought of a chef character, then picked the nationality that allowed for the funniest accent without being racist.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

teen witch posted:

Not doing that sun lamp nonsense though.

Why not?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Unkempt posted:

And while I'm at it, here's something else I ran across recently - the biggest battle by number of combatants of the American War of Independence. Not what I was expecting.

:staredog: yeah, wasn't expecting that, either

I knew France did our naval fighting but I didn't know Spain got involved, or that there were engagements involving that many people.