Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Atreiden posted:

I know this was some pages back, but it really annoyed me.

Sorry but this is not true at all. The European Lion went extinct in the holocene period and there is no Archeological evidence for it in historic time. You might as well talk about the European Griffon or Dragon, since you see that from Norway to Spain. If you look at antic greek art, it's clear that they don't have first hand knowledge about Lions. They often portrays female Lions with manes. It's also clear that they portray Asiatic lions, since they have to dark spots above the eyes, which both roman and greek artist thought was small horns. Medieval lions in art are even worse, since they are poor copies of what little antique art, they had access to.

Not saying your wrong because what do I know, but wikipedia says Aristotle said there were lions in Greece in 300 BC.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_lions_in_Europe
Also apparently they were in the Caucasus until the tenth century.

Also lovely drawings of lions just indicates to me that artists don't see many lions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

umalt posted:

Same reason dudes do drugs; sure bad things happen to people who do this stuff, but I'm special it won't happen to me.

Until suddenly those populist policies you keep advocating for cause the senate to go all barbarian on you.

And do what, wear trousers?

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

A White Guy posted:

With good reason. The Germans were to the Finns, prior to the end of WW2, what the French are to the Americans.

Why did the Finns think the Germans were dirty?

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
System Metternich do you know why beef was so drat cheap in Venice? Or was that supposed to be 70 moon dollars not 7?

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

System Metternich posted:

Do you mean Vienna? :v: But yeah, it's 7 kreuzer, contrary to common belief meat was surprisingly affordable throughout most of the Middle Ages and the Early Modern Era, at least in the cities. In Vienna it was especially cheap though, seeing as it lies right on the western edge of the Pannonian Basin, where mostly Hungarian herdsmen and farmers reared massive amounts of cattle

e: you also have to consider that until quite recently virtually every part of a slaughtered animal was consumed or used in some way. Hardly anybody still eats innards, or eyes, or brains anymore; instead most pieces of meat you can buy nowadays are what used to be called Bürgermeisterstück (mayor's piece) in German, i.e. the best part of the animal which was reserved for especially highly esteemed guests or the highest feast days

Haha oops yeah I was a bit light headed when I wrote that. So why the relatively high price of bacon? Cost of salt or the pork itself?
Thanks this stuff is really interesting.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bean_shadow posted:

Hitler had problems with flatulence.

I'm sensing a potential synergy here.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chichevache posted:

Please do. That post was very informative and the exact kind of information I love to pick up.

Seconded. Those were some dang fun facts.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Quidam Viator marry me.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Josef bugman posted:

All of this post is part of the reason why some small parts of me wishes the Vikings or the Gauls had won against the Romans or the various "Romanized" peoples that came after them. It would have been nice to have the Greek idea of "Women are weird and icky, only young men are the people we should love" get flushed down the drain.

The most famously romanized peoples were Gauls and there were plenty of Scandinavians in that category too.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ego-bot posted:

I heard somewhere that the English language, as a lingua franca in Europe at least, owes a lot to the King James Bible. Not sure how true that is though.

While this itself is untrue, I understand it played a major part in unifying the various English dialects into a more standardized form. IIRC, it was actually the second translation of the bible into English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Platystemon posted:

It was far from the second.

Wikipedia lists seven complete translations before it.

If you read through all those links, you'll see they're mostly based off Tyndale's translation.
I forgot about the Wycliffe translation though so at least third.