Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

:eng101: The SR-71 Blackbird spy plane, one of the most advanced aircraft ever produced during the 20th century, was built to spy on the Soviet Union during the Cold War. Due to the extreme stresses the Blackbird's speed and altitude put on the airframe, much of the airframe was built out of titanium, a metal very seldom used at the time and difficult to obtain in large quantities. Most of the titanium used in the Blackbird was covertly purchased from the Soviet Union, the very nation the Blackbird was designed to spy on.

It also leaks fuel like a sieve until the metal heats up and expands in flight.

Andrew Jackson owned a parrot that was removed from his funeral because it cussed too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goose fleet posted:

That.. somehow makes it better..?

The best part was they didn't edit anything else into the scene, so the horses are just freaking out about nothing. It's pretty surreal.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

TLC was another causality of ratings. It taught me that Pharaoh Snefru of the Old Kingdom built 3 pyramids during a period of innovation and prosperity and worked on developing the smooth sided pyramid vs earlier step-sided designs. Though one of his pyramids, el-heram el-kaddaab, collapsed probably before completion due to construction errors and design changes, another came out kind of lovely, the famous bent pyramid, from these attempts the ancient Egyptians probably learned how to make better pyramids with more stable incline angles and better construction techniques that would not compromise the structure. Snefru's next attempt, the Red Pyramid, came out much better and is considered the first successful smooth-sided pyramid.

Now TV tells me only aliens could have made them :saddowns:

Pfft, everyone knows Jesus's dad built em to store grain.

Apparently that one was just one of the early versions before he had all the bugs worked out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Talking of historic cosmetics, the plant deadly nightshade used to be used in eyedrops by women to dilate the pupils of the eyes to make them appear 'seductive'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna

They also used to use a shitload of lead as the basis for their face powder.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Mentalizer posted:

I can kind of understand this one, since there have been plenty of times I wanted to beat Ron Paul and Paul Ryan to death with a golf club.

Add Rand Paul to the mix and would you kindly pass me a 9 iron?