Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Jesus has historically been pretty quotable.

I had a discussion with a (highly religious) coworker a couple years ago and told her that Jesus must've been a horrible carpenter if he dropped the trade and went into preaching. She disagreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Wasn't a carpenter just another word for day laborer back then? Like carpenters weren't experts who build scaffolding or walls or structures, but rather, folks on a work crew that happened to work with wood and brick?

Lol, now I have an image of Jesus showing up on the corner of a Mesopotamian version of a Home Depot or wherever the gently caress they were and shouting the Hebrew equivalent of 'trabajo! trabajo!' except that he did shoddy work, enough to ditch the lucrative career of being a Jewish day laborer.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Going through this thread slowly, but lol how loving wrong can you be?

B-29 Service Ceiling: 9,710 meters

German Fighters:
-----------------
Bf-109G-6 Service Ceiling: 12,000 meters
Me-262A-1 Service Ceiling: 11,450 meters
Fw-190A-8 Service Ceiling: 11,410 meters
Fw-190D-9 Service Ceiling: 12,000 meters
Me-410A-1 Service Ceiling: 10,000 meters
Bf-110G-2 Service Ceiling: 11,000 meters
Ta-152H-1 Service Ceiling: 15,100 meters

Japanese Fighters:
------------------
A6M8 Service Ceiling: 11,300 meters
Ki-84 Service Ceiling: 11,800 meters
Ki-87 Service Ceiling: 12,800 meters
Ki-100 Service Ceiling: 11,000 meters
A7M Service Ceiling: 10,900 meters
N1K Service Ceiling: 10,800 meters
J2M Service Ceiling: 11,400 meters

There are reasons why the nukes were able to deploy where they did, their service ceiling was not one of them.

:goonsay:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I can't really retell the submarine one properly, but I do remember the best part was the closing line, something like "That's the big secret: when you don't know where a Boomer is, it's somewhere in the Arctic Circle drawing an eight-mile-long dick.'

That would have been an interesting twist to The Hunt for Red October

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The 5 course dinner in Qatar airlines business class was pretty drat good. Domestic first meals pale in comparison. The biscuit with chorizo gravy breakfast is p good though

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Speaking of, Lincoln famously wore a top had and that guy was huge. Not sure about being hung. He was possibly gay.

How is it that Abe was made to eat a hat, and yet nobody thought to make him eat a top hat?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Not coincidently, many of the character taints which make a person very useful in war also make them absolute rubbish during peace.

Wasn’t this how the duke of Wellington worked out? Fantastic in defeating Napoleon, but bad when he returned home and inevitably went into politics?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

“Wasteful imbecility” still applies to this administration

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Ignatz Semmelweis, the guy who suggested that maybe washing your hands between dissecting cadavers and helping deliver babies might be the key to cutting down on the number of mothers dying in childbirth was shamed out of the medical profession for daring to suggest that a doctor's hands might be dirty

He also had a mental breakdown and spent the rest of his life in an insane asylum because nobody believed him.

E: if you haven’t yet, go watch The Knick. It’s a fictional, stylized version of early 1900’s medicine in NYC and it’s loving great.

Cacafuego has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Jun 9, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Adorable. I hope she got home okay on the sick golihis. :ohdear:

soldier

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

So they were mostly cursing women and retail workers, huh? Some things never change.

what did a Roman "i wanna see your manager" haircut look like?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, that guy shows up in the Knick.

Cacafuego posted:

E: if you haven’t yet, go watch The Knick. It’s a fictional, stylized version of early 1900’s medicine in NYC and it’s loving great.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

A lighter topic, then. Behold The cold Maiden, a jerkoff-"machine"confiscated by Danish police in 1937:

So, is this the 20th century gently caress machine meant to outperform the 19th century gently caress machine covered earlier ITT?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol: Welp, it’ll take too long to take clothes off, better just piss in my pants

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a last name that has Germanic roots but was thoroughly Anglicized and people still can't pronounce it properly.

:same:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

:words: Turn of the century trolling

Milo and POTUS posted:

Now this is why I click the thread

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Then you have Maximus Thrax who was so proud of his sweat that he would collect it In small jars.

That’s a good name for a proto-goon

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Not great if your last name is Cromwell.

I still get a laugh when I think of them digging up his corpse and hanging it posthumously

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The Great Sphinx of Giza is not a sphinx. It got that name 2000 years after it was constructed. Before that it was known as Horus of the Horizon but we do not know what the people who constructed it called it.

“Big”

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Phy posted:

Cat big

Yeah, but in like, hieroglyphics or something

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jfc people are goddamn savages. I hiked the narrows last year and it was beautiful. Busy, but well kept. Now I see that’s because it was monitored/regulated heavily.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zombiepop posted:

unsolicited blow jobs.

Good username, imo

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

President Garfield lived for 80 days after he was shot. For much of that time, the doctors, believing that his intestine was punctured, tried to feed him food such as egg yolks and milk through his anus, along with whiskey and opium.

Shoulda tried lasagna

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah the fat fucks love ogling dead crows.

Walt wisely chose to leave that scene out of Dumbo.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

BasicLich posted:

i dont care

get a load of this incredible Sapphire and Gold ring in carved in the Intaglio style which may have been worn by roman emperor Caligua

e:

side view

Intaglio face (believed to be the profile of Caesonia)

Caligula, eh? How many buttholes has that thing been stuck in?

E: and other orifices, I suppose

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Trabant posted:

I was supposed to be Dušan (translates to... uh, Soulful? Soul Man?) but my dad changed his mind on the way to the registrar. My mom was beyond pissed.

However! Bullet dodged 15 years later when we moved to the US, as that would have been pronounced "Douche-Ann" which... yeah.

Definitely bully dodged as I grew up with a Dusko (pronounced douche-ko) and that poor kid was teased mercilessly (as kids do) once kids got old enough and learned what douche and douching (?) is

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I Love Loosies posted:

A nurse once told me they keep beer for just such cases in the hospital. If they don't like the patient they give them only the warm once.

It is prescribed and will come direct from nutrition :v:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Such Fun posted:

(also, lol at having just a microbiology bachelor. It’s like owning a bike without wheels)

:smith::hf::smith:

I had to go back and get a nursing degree and that combo has worked out real well

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Tristesse posted:

I've worked for 2 companies based out of Boston while I live in the Philly area. One of those companies had a weird travel policy where they preferred to book your trip by train and so I have had the direct experience of going from Philly to Boston by train and by plane.

My conclusion is that some kind of higher up in the company had such an incredible phobia of flying that they dictated that policy, they were series train nerds, or someone was smuggling drugs or something.

Train pros- Views were cool for like 70% of the trip. Cool cityscapes you get to check out at eye level and later the Connecticut coast was alternatingly beautiful and filled with crazy industrial ruins so that was neat. There are zero security screens of any kind for passengers or luggage if you want to be shady. Train stations are cool sometimes and the station had a bar with good beer that wasn't even overpriced.

Train cons- The trip takes 10-15 hours depending on whatever voodoo makes trains go fast or slow. You can sleep if you're brave or read a bunch I guess.

Seriously the plane trip takes 2 hours and costs 200 bucks less usually.

10-15 hours from Philly to Boston by train?!? That’s nuts! It’s like 6 hours by car. I’ve driven it enough to know.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Dunno about that stance but I do know that actual longbowmen were like insanely jacked, though only in one arm, so it may be hard to draw those things accurately without the proper Hulk-esque right shoulder those guys had.

I’m sure Rob Liefeld could take a stab at it

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

"To the relatives of the two year ago to Chicago emigrated bachelor

Assuming this is a direct translation, is current Danish language structured like that? As opposed to something like “to the relatives of the bachelor that moved to Chicago two years ago”.

I’m trying to think of a good way to ask this, but my brain no work so good, so I’ll just ask: why did languages evolve so that sentence portions are transposed? For instance, that sentence above or something like haricots vert/green beans.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Perestroika posted:

You can see the whole flow concept pretty well in the way how loanwords are treated. E.g. in German, the grammatical gender for English loanwords is assigned based pretty much purely on vibes, on what sounds "right". Take "ketchup", for example. Some people say "der Ketchup" (masculine), some say "das Ketchup" (neuter), and both generally work and are accepted. But if you were to say "die Ketchup" (feminine), you'd be considered a madman. That just sounds extremely wrong to any native speaker on an instinctive level. The same goes for just about any other loanword. When a new loanword comes into common parlance there's no formal process for assigning a grammatical gender, most of the time people will just automatically agree on which version sounds right and go with that.

<Mr. Burns confused between der Ketchup and das Ketchup.jpg>

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean in the end they are dead so judge them, don’t it honestly doesn’t matter.

Unless you want to Cadaver Synod them I suppose

The Diet of Worms

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Coldwar thread

It was about time to update my bookmarked threads

E: actually, do you have a link? I didn’t know if it’s in A/T or PYF or wherever else

Cacafuego has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Dec 28, 2023

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m glad I asked, I wouldn’t have looked there, although I suppose that’s a good place for it. Thanks!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Many immigrants voluntarily anglicized their names.

This is what my family did that came here in the beginning of the 20th century. It still confuses people, but it’s easier to pronounce than it would have been otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

lehigh valley? that's where the surviving relatives live now anyway. i don't know if that's where they lived previously actually

I’m from Allentown and that doesn’t surprise me either.