Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

goose fleet posted:

It gets better, though. Two of the people that were involved in the assassination of Franz Ferdinand at the start of World War I both lived until nearly the end of the Cold War. One lived until 1990.

1896 - 1980: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cvjetko_Popovi%C4%87
1897 - 1990: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaso_%C4%8Cubrilovi%C4%87

I'm imagining him watching the fall of the Berlin wall broadcast in his apartment in Sarajevo, standing up and shuffling to the TV and clicking it off, then turning and with a single tear in his eye saying reflecting on European history since 1914, the horrors of the wars, the holocaust, the genocides, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Tito and the rest and saying "Whelp. My bad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

After Denmark lost its navy to England in 1807, there came a lot of laws on forestry (the navy had right of first refusal on any oak, and new ones were planted several places). Of course a lot of the then-planted oaks didn't become useful for ship building until ships were made from steel.

You can't mention that without mentioning Visingsö

On the Swedish island of Visingsö there’s a mysterious forest of oak trees; mysterious because oak trees aren’t indigenous to the island. The origin of the forest was unknown until 1980 when the Swedish Navy received a letter reporting that their requested lumber was ready.

The Navy didn’t know what the letter was on about, so they checked their records and it was discovered that in 1829 they had predicted a supply shortage of oak for warship building in the 21st century, and had ordered 20,000 oak trees to be planted in anticipation.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

goose fleet posted:

It makes you wonder what they fought about, and if it was really worth dying over, considering that thousands of years later nobody has any idea why they did it

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Exactly! It could be like the chief of tribe A said some dumb poo poo to chief of tribe B and welp, that can't stand. I guess it could also be like a life or death access to livestock/grain situation, but considering humaty I'm gonna go with humans being assholes.

Unless you do a DNA test and find that the local population of 5,000,000+ people are related to tribe B and none to tribe A, then it sounds like it was wildly successful. A dead neighboring tribe doesn't compete for food.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Canemacar posted:

I remember someone in the Ancient History thread said something like Pharaohs would marry their sister, yeah, but that doesn't mean they'd actually be banging. It was more of a ceremonial marriage than an actual one, with pharaohs knocking up a concubine to get a kid.

Egypt was a matrilineal patriarchy (in fact, pretty much all monarchies are), which means it's not actually the son of the king that becomes ruler, it's the son of the queen. This is because you couldn't prove paternity, but you could prove maternity. The exception to this is adoption which generally wasn't common. It's also why eldest bastards don't inherit (although having the heir inherit the queens family money - if she had any - is a huge factor)

So it was generally in the kings interest to make sure that the queen doesn't get around. In Egypt this was taken to the extreme, as since you could only prove royalty through being the child of a queen, you get lots of cases of brothers marrying sisters to prove the child was royal on both sides and recombined the blood line. This has a bonus effect of not splitting estates like the Franks did after Charlemagne died, which could have led to more civil wars

Captain Postal has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Mar 21, 2016