Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

trickybiscuits posted:

:eng101: A sootikin (or sooterkin) was/is an accumulation of dirt, soot, sweat, dead sloughed-off skin cells, and menstrual and vaginal discharge that would build up in the crotches of women who didn't wear underwear (common before 1800) and then fall out, giving rise to the belief that they were small animals that some women were capable of giving birth to.

Wait what? Are we accepting this as truth somehow? Googling doesn't give any real citation except some guys book and on the face of it it just makes no sense. Wearing no underwear makes it somehow more likely that things would collect in a vagina? What? This sounds like a stupid women's vaginas are oogy myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

XMNN posted:

An 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue has something similar.

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/5402/pg5402.html

SOOTERKIN. A joke upon the Dutch women, supposing that, by their constant use of stoves, which they place under their petticoats, they breed a kind of small animal in their bodies, called a sooterkin, of the size of a mouse, which when mature slips out.

See mice jumping into petticoats from the warmth of stoves then jumping out when the woman stands up makes a certain amount of sense. The gross thing before though I'm still 100 per cent convinced is bullshit or a bad joke.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

I dunno. I used to own a gynecology textbook from the 1920s, with horrible illustrations and anecdotes that would make me believe anything. We really, really tend to take personal hygiene for granted.

Actually with the advent of dry shampoo, perfume and deodorant I feel like we've reached a new age in women not washing ☺

But really, on the face of it, how could not wearing underwear possibly contribute to a decrease in hygiene there? Like much as I wish it would, menstruation doesn't just stay there until you shake it out or whatever? I'd love to see an actual cite that this was a thing because literally only one book seems to describe it as an accumulation of grossness as opposed to a joke. People still had sex with poor women back then, please don't destroy my illusion that men would baulk at an ` accumulation of dirt, soot, sweat, dead sloughed-off skin cells, and menstrual and vaginal discharge that would build up in the crotches of women who didn't wear underwear (common before 1800) and then fall out, giving rise to the belief that they were small animals`

That said, I'm a woman so maybe I just don't want to believe...