Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is a fragmentary trial document from Renaissance Italy. It is a testimony of the household assassin of an Archbishop and his abbot son, concerning a murder of a peasant that they allegedly ordered. This is an utterly unremarkable case for the era.

That does actually seem pretty weird because why would an archbishop and an abbot conspire to murder a peasant?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

President John Tyler (1790-1862), a man who held the office from 1841-45, has two living grandsons.

As of last check. Couldn't find any evidence that they had died since the last news sources earlier this year.

I think until a couple of years ago there were still a few Confederate widows about - women who had, while very young, married old men for their pensions. Assuming the soldiers were born in 1845, living until 1930-ish doesn't impossible (age 85), and if the wives were born about 1910 they'd be 105 now. I'm being pretty generous with those figures but iirc that's roughly how the sums worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That's pushing it a bit far - the main source is Julius Caesar, who was actually fighting the druids. Anyone doing any kind of neopagan magic stuff, though, is probably taking over half of it from Gerald Gardner, who wrote after the Second World War and was not a scholar.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

But are there any real facts in ol' Jules writings? Afaik that's it: Druids existed, they had rituals (probably related to forests), that's it....? Or?

Caesar goes into quite a bit of detail about the druids and their practices. If you're asking how accurate it is, you're better off asking in the ancient history thread, but while I've always got the impression Caesar's treated as a reliable witness, it's by definition pretty difficult to tell how reliable a single source is. The really badass details, like the final exam being shut in a half-full coffin with rocks on your chest, composing a poem and meoldy in complex meter, with a 2/5 failure rate punished by death... may be a little exaggerated.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Which, if any, of the other Confuciuses that guy was is totally uncertain. Since Mencius seems to authentically mention that guy's grandson, and since Mencius basically used Confucian morality to argue against Mozi's statecraft, you can kinda start to make an argument that maybe it was the moral Confucius from the Analects but that is really far from certain.

Do you have a source on this, because I was under the impression that Confucius was unusual for a religion's founder in that we know the facts of his life fairly well and are sure he wasn't a conflation or fictional.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

In the ~200 years between Ptolemy and his descendant Cleopatra VII (ie the one you know about) there are about 30 people in the family tree. Not 30 people added to the family tree, not 30 branches of the family tree, not 30 people descended who were alive at the same time as Cleopatra, 30 people total.

Spot the guy who hosed his cousin, who was also his half-sister, and they also only have two grandparents between them.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Huh, apparently true - Wikipedia cites a dictionary to the effect that tekton is more like workman or builder. Makes sense, his dad was a builder too.

Cacafuego posted:

I had a discussion with a (highly religious) coworker a couple years ago and told her that Jesus must've been a horrible carpenter if he dropped the trade and went into preaching. She disagreed.

She's right, it doesn't necessarily follow :colbert:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Gato posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of John Ruskin, the enormously influential 19th-century British art critic. His marriage was annulled because of non-consummation, and the rumour went round that he'd spent so much time looking at Classical depictions of the female form he wasn't prepared for the existence of pubic hair. He definitely had some odd complex where his wife (and possibly women in general) were concerned, but there's no direct evidence for the pubes thing, and the fact that she was having a fairly public affair with the painter John Millais probably didn't help.

I've heard this story about Ruskin too. I was also taught that Classical female statues didn't have pubes specifically because Praxiteles sculpted a Venus without them and everyone loved it so much that other sculptors imitated him, but I can't remember if that's true or not. This Venus was apparently so attractive that one young man tried to have sex with it.

Decrepus posted:

They don't put pubes on sculptures.

Yes people do. Check out David, and that's in marble, much harder to sculpt than most Classical statues.

HEY GAL posted:

odysseus lied all the time

IIRC Jaynes thinks things changed for Homer between the Iliad and the Odyssey but that seems obviously drivel even if the theory as a whole is a cool science fiction idea.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Eh, you're exaggerating a bit. Not having case or dozens of conjugations, etc, is pretty simple. About 85% of English words have regular pronunciation. And basic English grammar isn't that complex. Moreover

Corrode posted:

(think of stuff like pork/pig or beef/cow- the equivalent in Spanish is "cerdo" and "vaca/carne de vaca" which covers both meat and animal, or literally "meat of cow" in the second example)

I don't think these are great examples because the first is very ambiguous and Spanish violates the example of the second. What's "tree" and "wood", for instance?

Aesop Poprock posted:

But do Mandarin and Japanese have similar abreviations or leway for spelling, and is that one of the reasons learning the characters is viewed as more difficult?

I don't know about Japanese, but Chinese has tons of abbreviations, formed by not using all the characters in the word. For instance, the capital of 台灣 (Taiwan) is 台北 (Taipei) - you can see it borrows the 台 to roughly mean "north Taiwan city". Just outside 台北 is 新北 (Xinbei), short for 新台北 (Xintaibei), meaning New Taipei. The p/b thing is due to fun with Romanisation, not a typo. This doesn't make learning characters any different, obviously, but it can make learning words harder at first and then easier as you get used to it, speaking from experience.

There are also places in Taiwan called 台南 Tainan, 台中 Taichung, 台東 Taidong and 台西 Taixi - South Taiwan, Central Taiwan, East Taiwan, and West Taiwan.

Speaking of Romanisation, the Engish letters c, q and x turn up fairly commonly because they're essentially disposable in English - c is pronounced /k/ or /s/, qu /kw/, and x /ks/. So different languages use them for very different things. In isiZulu they're clicks.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Corrode posted:

I just picked stuff off the top of my head, I'm in no way a comparative linguist - happy to be wrong. It's just the theory I've heard described, I don't make any claim to how accurate it is :shrug:

This thread moves fast. I just think "a loving horror show" is a bit overboard!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Conversely, trepanning is old as gently caress.

Only in the last century has it actually done any good.

Way older than those (circa 1600? to my eye) - successful trepannation goes back to the Stone Age. We know it was successful because the bone healed before the patient died.

yo rear end is grass posted:

So what you're saying is that she didn't have a good head on her shoulders.

It was better than nothing v:shobon:v

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A sixteenth century "garden designer" was probably a spy:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/dec/26/cambridge-student-discovers-hidden-life-renaissance-spy posted:

Something odd emerged as a Cambridge student began to research the work of a Renaissance garden designer: although the 16th century Italian artist, sculptor and designer Costantino de’ Servi travelled constantly and never seemed to be short of a bob, he seemed to have completed very few gardens - or any other kind of work.

Wherever there was trouble in Europe, however, be it wars rumbling, alliances being forged, or regime change threatened, de’ Servi seemed to pop up. Then the historian discovered that wherever the supposed gardener travelled and whoever he was nominally working for – and he got as far west as the court of James I in London, and as far east as Persia – he remained on the payroll of one of the richest and most powerful families in Europe, the Medici of Florence. Like any good modern spy who keeps a low profile, there is no known portrait of him.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Slime posted:

Orangina.

bean_shadow posted:

Fanta. Volkswagen.

Ensign Expendable posted:

ThyssenKrupp. Hope you didn't take an elevator recently.

steinrokkan posted:

Ford
Nestle
General Electrics
IBM
Siemens
BMW

The whole nein yards?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Regarding Phantom Time/New Chronology, the idea that people were multiplying and distorting an accurate history isn't, actually, impossible (although yes these two are insane and stupid.) One historian has concluded that Khmer chronicles written circa 1800 describe the time after the fall of Angkor, about 1430-1580, but it's basically totally fictional. The historians felt they had to write something, but didn't have any traditions about this period and were imitating Thai culture.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

ya but also there are full wood-ring chronologies of like 3 types of trees back to like 20k years ago that match up with p much any historical source so

i guess those systems just ignore it?

I think you're saying that modern technology shows that premodern lists of kings and deeds are wrong, which is, uh, no poo poo, Sherlock? I'm not sure how useful dendrochronology would be in Cambodia anyway, I think the book I read mentioned that most of the wood had rotted away over the centuries. As for the pseudohistorians, if they can't lie about it or distort it they say it's inaccurate.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

im not saying that at all

im saying those weird revised chronologies from russia have a shitload of problems to fix before they can even attempt to match up with archaeological records (one of which being the combined dendrochronology of northern/dry trees).

They don't, though, because they're not history at all, just propaganda. Being accurate and verifiable would defeat the object of the exercise! :v:

E: I think you read my first post as "makes u think" where it was actually "Some people accidentally made up some history in the way Fomenko thinks early modern Europeans did, what a weird coincidence & historical fun fact".

Safety Biscuits has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Jan 21, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

haha poo poo yea sorry we're on the same page now

:hfive: No worries man, we're cool.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

In ancient rome, the businesses that cleaned clothes, left a large pot outside, for anyone to urinate in, as they needed the ammonia to clean the clothes.

But not near bars, because then the piss was too watery.

Safety Biscuits has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Jun 24, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Top hats purely exist to compensate for short penis.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Peeny Cheez posted:

So what sort of hat should you wear to compensate for a penis that's of average length but is really thin? Asking for a friend.

A sombrero.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Technocrat posted:

As mentioned earlier, the Luftwaffe would dump unused ordinance in the South after visiting London, so Hampshire has a heck of a bunch of that stuff.

My grandfather was cycling to work one morning (about 5am, butchers started early) when the shop he was headed to exploded and knocked him off his bike. If he'd been any earlier, that air raid would have killed him.

So, his workplace was a crater. Did he go home to recover from the trauma? Nope, he just got back on his bicycle, went to another butcher shop, and got a job there instead.

Congratulations on being Norman Tebbit's grandson.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Alhazred posted:

The most famous one is that eating carrots give you night vision. The british army didn't want anyone to know that their were using radar to spot enemy bombers and spread the myth that the army was eating carrots in order to see better at night.

Which is fair enough; they weren't that was the RAF :v:

Platystemon posted:

One of the better Wikipedia yarns was about the time a pack of hungry wolves, led by a large roan male nicknamed “Cortaud” (lit. Bobtail), entered Paris through its decaying walls in the desperate winter of 1450 and ate twoscore citizens before being put down like dogs in the square in front of the cathedral of Notre Dame.

Has this been disproved? It's such a good one.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Red Bones posted:

The pacific island countries (and other very small or very poor countries in general) are prone to recognising disputed territories in return for financial support (normally via foreign aid money). For example, you see some of them go back and forth on recognising Taiwan depending on who is signing the cheques in any given year.

I was going to say that it's not quite that bad, but checking Wikipedia I saw that Vanuatu recognised Taiwan for one week in November 2004, so actually, yes, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Maximinus Thrash