Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

New archaeological evidence has shown that while the Aztec had no trouble eating captured conquistadors and their horses, pigs were just killed and thrown away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

The can opener was invented 40 years after the tin can.

And in some cases that was probably a good thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_beef_scandal

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Another fun fact about Michelangelo; he was a cranky, angry jerk that absolutely nobody liked.

The Sixtine Chapel is also full of small gently caress yous to the various people he didn't like.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phyzzle posted:

Huh. The Catholic Church really is the last fragment of the Roman Empire.

It really is. In ancient Rome the river Tiber was considered sacred, in order to build a bridge over it there had to be a religious ritual. The man responsible for that ritual was called Pontifex Maximus (the greatest bridge builder), the pope still uses this title.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Whiz Palace posted:

Historical fun fact: this joke implies JFK was a necrophile.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

syscall girl posted:

I'm not familiar with this but I feel like the Golden Horde had a more gruesome kill count. Lacking in nuclear weapons as they were.

Genghis Khan and his army managed to kill 1.25 million people during the conquest of Khwarezmia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_conquest_of_Khwarezmia

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The oldest purse that we know off was made in Leipzig between 2500 and 2200 bc. It was decorated with dog teeth.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

When emperor Hirohito released the speech where he said that Japan had surrendered it was the first time that the majority of the population had heard his voice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah but he was god and you're not really supposed to hear god's voice.

Speaking of gods and rulers. The reason why the pharaohs had fake beard was that Horus had beard and since the pharaoh was the living embodiment of Horus beard was mandatory. Even Hatshepsut who was a woman had to follow this rule. This was also the reason why the royals was okay with incest, after all Horus married his sister and what's good enough for Horus is good enough for the pharaoh.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Canemacar posted:

I remember someone in the Ancient History thread said something like Pharaohs would marry their sister, yeah, but that doesn't mean they'd actually be banging. It was more of a ceremonial marriage than an actual one, with pharaohs knocking up a concubine to get a kid.

Tutankhamun was pretty loving inbred. Tutankhamun also impregnated his half sister Ankhesenamun (both kids were still born), Ankhesenamun had previously been married to her father who possibly impregnated her.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e X posted:

Kind of a problem when your rulership is based on family relation. You want to keep the family small, otherwise you have to share the power with too many people. And of course, the other families also don't look kindly on your family spreading too wide. Just look at the clusterfuck that was the Habsburg-France rivalry.

And a need historic fact, this wasn't just something that happened in ancient and medieval times, royal intermariages managed to give a large chunk of European royalty hemophilia as late as the 19th and 20th century.

It was also common in the Inca kingdom.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

Ilya Repin might be one of my favourite painters, especially since he did a number of paintings of historical moments, including my personal favourite of Ivan the Terrible having killed his son.

Somehow Ivan the Terrible doesn't strike me as the type of person that would regret killing anyone, let alone his son.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

we know that at points the builders would be brought to the point of starvation when the bureaucracy didn't bother to keep them supplied with basic necessities. Part of the problem was in the fact that the builders were deliberately insulated from the general populace into secretive towns, to protect the secrets of royal tombs, so they were entirely at the mercy of the central supply system, prohibited from arranging deliveries from other communities without royal intermediaries.

But if that happened they could strike and unlike the strikes in the US in 19th century the pharaoh didn't kill them but gave them what they demanded. The laborers also had a pretty generous sick day arrangement, being hung over for example was considered a valid reason to take out a sick day.

Fun fact about Egypt and slavery: Being a temple slave was considered such a sweet deal that people would actually pay to become one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

They didn't have a great imagination when it came to naming their kids either it seems.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always found it was weird that nobility never saw the connection that their family had all these weird problems from inbreeding that the common people didn't have.

The common people were pretty inbred too. There's one story from 1750 in Norway where a guy was going to get married. He had never seen the bride before and on the day of the marriage he saw that she suffered from Huntington's disease and straight up ran away. And in 1820 a local priest had to have a sermon about not loving your brother or sister.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The first known poet and author was a high priestess named Enheduanna. To make it better her poem is all about how awesome she was. Enheduanna is also one of the earliest women in history whose name is known.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Normally, the go to punishment for aristocrats who had committed a major crime was exile.

Unless you happened to live when people like Crassus and Tiberius ruled.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I meant Sulla.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Gauls actually sacked Rome in 390 BC. The Gauls made the Romans pay a ransom of a thousand pounds of gold. When they started weighing the gold the Romans started protesting which lead to the Gallic leader Brennus tossing a sword on the scale and saying "Woe the vanquished".

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Mar 31, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

We used to have a "poo poo I just figured out" thread; I didn't see it in the first three pages so I'm assuming it's been mercifully killed.

I just figured out that Roger Bacon the very clever monk, Francis Bacon the very clever proto-scientist, and Francis Drake the pirate/explorer were all different people living at different times. Shame on me.

Francis Drake was also one of the last persons to visit the Roanoke colony before the colonists disappeared.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

How To Make Mice (a recipe from 1620):
1. Put a pair of dirty underwear in a jar with a handful of grain.
2. Wait 21 days.
3. Your jar should now be full of mice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Wasn't this because, in that era, they thought life randomly sprouted from things?

It was actually a pretty long era. The theory of spontaneous generation was coined by Aristoteles in the fourth century BC and wasn't refuted until 1859. Of course the theory wasn't uncontroversial. In 1740 John Needham boiled some gravy and poured it into a bottle and sealed it. A couple of days later the bottle was full of bacteria. Lazzaro Spallanzani wasn't terrible impressed and replicated the experiment with one crucial difference, he cleansed the cork before sealing the bottle and did not experience bacteria spontaneously generating.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the battle of Aqaba in 1917 Lawrence of Arabia accidentally shot his own camel in the head while riding into battle.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

One of the more significant figures in the Arab Revolt was Auda ibu Tayi. When he joined Lawrence he smashed his false teeth that was made in Turkey while saying 'I had forgotten, Jemal Pasha gave me these. I was eating my Lord’s bread with Turkish teeth!’

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of royals and cross dressing. In 1756 the French king needed access to empress Elizabeth of Russia. The problem was that the British controlled the border and they only allowed women and children to cross it. Luckily the king's secret service had a man called Chevalier d'Eon that could pass as a woman and he successfully infiltrated Elizabeth's court. In 1774 the secret service was abolished and d'Eon demanded to be recognized as female because d'Eon claimed to have been assigned female at birth. The government agreed but required that d'Eon dress appropriately in women's clothing. During that a betting pool was started on the London Stock Exchange about d'Éon's "true" sex. In 1810 d'Eon died in poverty and an autopsy revealed that d'Eon had "male organs in every respect perfectly formed",

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

From what I recall the crusaders kind of sucked at conquering. The Mongols however, were really good at it.

Yeah, they even crushed the assassins, a group that even Saladin feared. Fun story about the assassins: Ahmad Sanjar (a Seljuq ruler) tried to drive the assassins from one of their stronghold in Alamut. Hassan-i Sabbah, who was the leader of that group of assassins, sent envoys to negotiate peace but Sanjar rebuffed them. Then one morning when Sanjar woke up there was a dagger stuck in the ground next to his bed. Then a messenger arrived with a message from Sabbah: "Did I not wish the sultan well that the dagger which was struck in the hard ground would have been planted on your soft breast". Sanjar left Alamut alone from that day.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The word "molotov cocktail" was originally a joke. During the winter war Soviet foreign minister Vyacheslav Molotov claimed that the bombs they were dropping on the FInns were actually airborne humanitarian food deliveries. The Finns called these bombs for "molotov bread baskets". When they hurled the homemade firebombs at the Soviet forces they called them "molotov cocktalis", a drink to go with the "food".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

After reading about all the Mongolian shenanigans I wouldn't be surprised if one day China just rolled carpet bombed the entire country one day , just to make sure they don't ever try that poo poo again.

That would probably just piss them off.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

When Mao visited Soviet in 1949 Stalin had special toilets installed in order to secretly collect and analyze Mao's excrement. If they for example found high levels of Tryptophan the conclusion was that that person was calm and approachable. The result of the analyzes of Mao's excrement isn't known but Stalin refused to sign an agreement with him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Siivola posted:

Well, which one was it?

He was decorated with the War Cross with sword, Croix de Guerre and Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Farmland Park posted:

Geronimo surrendered to the US 6 months after the first motorcar was patented.

Geronimo later regretted capitulating and his dying words were that he wished that he had fought to the last man.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The hookah was invented in Persia in the 1560s, tobacco wasn't introduced to Persia before around 1600.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Hashishins were ancient ninjas who would get stoned as gently caress before they did the dirty deed.

They got pulled over a lot for doing 35 on the freeway.

It took an actual mongol horde to wipe them out, even Saladin feared them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1910 Bill Wilson, Henry Bowers and Apsley Cherry-Garrard went to Antarctica to collect penguin eggs, the reason was that it was though that the eggs of the emperor penguin would reveal a link between reptiles and birds because the emperor penguins was thought of as a primitive bird. The penguins nests during the winter and winter in Antarctica is absolute hell. Its complete darkness and temperature well below −40 °C. During the expedition Cherry's teeth chattered so violently that they shattered, while Wilson was blinded in one eye by a blob of boiling blubber from a camp stove. It got so bad that at one point the men simply laid down and waited for death. Finally they were able to snatch five eggs but dropped two of them before they staggered into bascamp where their frozen clothes had to be cut off them.
In 1913 Apsley Cherry-Garrard brought the eggs to the Natural History Museum. At first the clerk refused the eggs but he finally took them and gave Cherry a receipt. The eggs themselves weren't studied before 1934 and when they were studied they revealed nothing of use.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A White Guy posted:

This lil bird is the European Starling. Nowadays, we simply call it the 'common' starling. Why? Well, it turns out that Starlings are a non-native species pretty much everywhere outside of Europe. On one side, unbelievably cold temperatures of the Russian steppe kept them colonizing Asia, on another, a giant freaking desert kept them contained, and on a third, a big, freaking ocean kept them contained.

That was, until, a guy by the name of Shakespeare remarked upon them in his play, Henry IV, where the titular character is fantasising upon what he'll do to the now-imprisoned Mortimer

Unfortunately, this inspired a guy by the name of Eugene Schieffelin, a member of the American Accimilitization Society, to bring the European Starling to the Americas. He and his organization aspired to bring every bird Shakespeare mentions in his plays to the Americas. After two failed attempts and about 60 dead starlings, he succeeded in bringing this little guy to the America, where it then went hog-loving-wild. Nowadays, almost 4.3 million starlings inhabit virtually every part of the continental US, and in the summer, most of Southern Canada as well. It has very few natural predators here in the America, as their incredible agility makes them difficult to catch and eat. Farmers see them as a good thing - they consume pest insects - but they're a terminal pain in the behind of the apple orchards of America, because they also eat fruit. They also compete with a variety of common native birds. Goddamn British :argh:

Sometimes history is like a Simpsons episode: Oh no, our imported bunnies are out of controll, no problem lets import cats to eat them. Oh no, the cats are eating the birds instead. No problem we just introduce a virus to kill the cats. Oh no, the are becoming immune to disease and its killing the kangaroos instead. And so on and so on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pirate flags were pretty cool:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1555 Nostradamus released a book that was one of his most popular and important works. It was called Traité des fardemens et confitures and contained recipes for jam.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wow, he even knew jam would be delicious?

He also considered jam to be erotic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hogmartin posted:

"This skeleton's cool guys, he's with me"

I'd imagine that if you were a pirate you had to be cool around skeletons.
Pirate related fact: The word buccaner comes from the french word boucan which referred to a wooden frame used to smoke meat. The original buccaners were french hunters who lived on Hispaniola, they were eventually driven out and turned to piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Maybe the real reason why time intervals records have progressed so much in the past thirty years is because athletes stopped smoking a pack of cigs before,after, and during every event.

Then again, they also rode cars and trains.