Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Not really a fun fact but I learned last night that women gained the right to vote at a federal level in Switzerland in 1971, with the last holdout on a canton-level until 1991.

Reminds me of the fact that the ADA was signed into law in 1990. Or the whole bonkers state-level recognition of MLK Day going into the 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pookah posted:

And that last canton never actually voted to give women the right to vote, they were forced to by the Swiss supreme court.

wikipedia posted:

In 1991, following a decision by the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland, Appenzell Innerrhoden became the last Swiss canton to grant women the vote on local issues. It also was the canton with the strongest support (71%) for the minaret ban in the 2009 Swiss minaret referendum and the lowest support (51%) in the 2021 Swiss same-sex marriage referendum.

wikipedia posted:

Somewhat before the early 2000s, the idyllic countryside of Appenzell Innerrhoden apparently became popular with nudists, and at the 2009 Landsgemeinde the canton's residents voted to prohibit naked hiking. Violators would be fined. However nudists who appealed against their fines to the federal court have been reimbursed by the local authorities, as nudism is not a crime under Swiss federal law which takes precedence.

81 percent Roman Catholic population? You don’t say.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

The Swiss are 81% Catholic?! I thought they were all psycho Calvinists?

No, the Apple Ballsack canton is.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

This is why I have created a sausage containing all vitamin-D rich foods, called "The Big D". Just gobble down at least one Big D a day and you'll feel amazing.
As a brown in Scandinavia do NOT fall for this Yakubian propaganda!!! It does NOT work!!!!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I absolutely blew off the vitamin D as some bullshit when I moved here but it is real. I’m on prescription grade D. It genuinely does help, especially if you have sadbrains.

Not doing that sun lamp nonsense though.

Offler posted:

The prof, completely casual "You would have killed a couple of hundred people a year from skin cancer of course, but you would have saved tens of thousands from rickets."

That reminds me, though Sweden specific. Maybe it’s due to who I hang out with but no one in Sweden really gives a poo poo about SPF?

Sweden has a high rate of skin cancer cases, like close to Australia levels, and the strength of the sun is weaker here. To be fair, skin cancer takes a while to show, but this country loves to tan by any means necessary, so I don’t think this rate is going to be getting any better. I’d have thought that more of a stink would be raised about sun protection but it mostly seems oriented toward kids.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’s just a spiteful hard line I draw.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Strange how some schoolbooks tell murderous nazis came in all kinds of nationalities except for american
Where do you think the Nazis learned it from?
(we had German American Bund)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My dad and his two siblings came to the states between the late 70s and early 80s. They kept their last names, and I think both kept their OG first names but added an Anglicized one because it’d make their life easier. Kept it that way to this day.

My father, however, went through god knows how many changes.

I *think* he came over with his first name and his last name intact. At some point he completely nixed the last name, made a shortened version of his first name (like Christopher to Chris) his new last name, added Jake (and apparently John was in the mix for a while?) as his first. It was Jake [new last name] until after I was born I think, my sister and I both have [new last name] as our last names.

Then some time in the 90s, he decided to go with [new last name] as his entire name, a mononym.

Cool mononym fact: this is a logistical and bureaucratic nightmare for not just yourself, but for your family, especially your kids. Said kids will later grow up into adults who emigrated from the country you immigrated to, with very serious paperwork they have to get right. I was legit worried that I’d have issues becoming a citizen here because of my dad’s ~artistic flair~ (thankfully it worked out fine).

My dumb rear end accidentally changed my name when I moved here. My legal name in the US is my first and last name, maybe a middle initial on occasion. My name here? First and middle name as my entire first name, last name remains the same. I think I know how it happened but at this stage I can’t be bothered to change it to how it is in the US.

When I marry my partner, I intend to hyphenate my name, adding his Finnish last name to mine. There are umlauts, can’t wait to deal with the US and their ö-oe bullshit. Three goddamn ethnicities in one name, and now new letters :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Kudos to the podcast Noble Blood for the episode on The Hautefaye case, a terrible lynching with unfounded but kinda justified rumors of cannibalism!

quote:

According to witnesses, Alain de Monéys' head was "like a globe of blood".
It does not get any less violent.