Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Something I always found neat was William Beaumont and his handyman Alexis St. Martin.

In 1822, St. Martin, a french/canadian fur trapper is shot in the abdomen in an accident on Mackinac Island in Michigan. William Beaumont is a US Army surgeon stationed in Green Bay. Beaumont treats St. Martin for his injuries but doesn't expect him to live. St. Martin lives but he has a hole in his stomach, literally. Beaumont hires Martin to be his handyman and conducts tests on him. He took foods and stuck them through St. Martin's stomach hole to learn about digestion as well as removing stomach acid and testing it outside the body. This went on for about 10 years with St. Martin hating life and running away and then returning eventually. He finally making it away for good and Beaumont tried until his death to get him to return.

Mark Twain had his railings at his house in Hartford CT unusually low so he would feel taller. He also used a balcony off his office when unwanted visitors came by to avoid lying/deceit. He would go on to the balcony while his housekeeper would meet the guest and inform them that Mr. Clements was not available as he had just stepped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I grew up in Lebanon and am descended from the founders of Lebanon (and prior to that Norwich) so the history of the whole area has always fascinated me.

http://stonewall.uconn.edu/investigation/special-places/

Stonewall.uconn.edu posted:

Consider Samson’s Rock, in Madison, CT, below which a bronze plaque was placed by the Madison Foundation, Inc., the Rotary Club of Madison, and the Stop and Shop Supermarket Co. It reads:

This beautiful landmark, SAMSON ROCK, is a boulder precariously placed on a large outcropping of glacial deposit. As with most wonders of the natural world, there are legends and stories to explain their presence. The local Native Americans of this place in the 17th Century told of a giant, Odziozo, who followed a flock of geese down the glacier covering New England long ago. The giant had just created beautiful Lake Champlain (Petoubouque) and now found himself in the center of Madison, Connecticut. While here, he created Tuxis Pond, Tuxis Island and Samson Rock.

It is a long story, but when the early settlers from Europe chose this beautiful place to live, they wanted to make a legend of their own to explain the boulder. Since Samson was known as the strongest man in the world, according to the Old Testament of the Bible, his name was used as the giant who scooped up earth, threw it in the Sound, stepping on the rock as he did so. Well, it must be true because the giant’s footprint is still on Samson Rock. Odziozo or Samson, whoever created this unusual landmark, did a fine job.

It goes without saying that the Paleozoic rock on which it sits is not a glacial deposit. Nor do I know of any Native American oral tradition holding that a glacier covered New England during its creation. Finally, I can hardly make sense of the 17th century biblical attribution.

This website has some cool stuff on it and makes me want to explore local areas with my own LIDAR drones just to see what lurks below the visible surface

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

the nantucket dildo is plaster so maybe it was cast from the husbands real deal

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

skasion posted:

The Whiskey Rebellion. Washington was president and led an army into Pennsylvania in that capacity, but there wasn't any real fighting.

I believe he led it a short bit and then turned over to Alexander Hamilton, after which he turned a blind eye to Hamilton's soldiers mistreatment of Americans. This kinda matters because it was Hamilton's tax they were enforcing.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure how old a fact has to be for it to be "historical" but whatever, I shall post it anyway. I recently read that CCR - the rootsiest band of them all in 1969 - were often written off as disposable pop fluff on the same level as, say, Tommy James and the Shondells during the Summer of Love because they weren't playing "sophisticated" music like Jefferson Airplane or the other "hippy" bands.

CCR being the band from southern California that talked about cotton fields and bayous despite the front man never having been to the south

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Don't they pull up items from Doggerland which would be at least 8000 years old plus all those cave paintings in France and Spain that are tens of thousands of years old. Seems like people have been there since the Stone age imo

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I figure the penis charms all over the empire would protect all different kinds of holes

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

ArcMage posted:

The Trivium was essentially the arts branch of Roman education, consisting of grammar, logic, and rhetoric.

The technical side, the Quadrivium, was arithmetic, geometry, astronomy, and music because music was an outgrowth of maths.

The terms do derive from three/four roads, though.

'Trivial' in modern usage stems from the historical denigration of arts in favour of STEM I guess.

The trivial pursuit of the arts

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a Milan in Michigan pronounced "Mai-lan".

Same goes for Milan New Hampshire lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Two of my great uncles and one grandfather killed Nazis but apparently not enough based on grandchildren itc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

It's been a few years since I was there but I'm almost positive Ellis Island has a whole exhibit refuting the name change myth