Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Suddenly, Terry Gilliam's animations make a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
So he was a Dane is what you're telling me.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alhazred posted:

It would've been fun to be able to watch the ancient Egyptians' reactions to Tut Ankh Amon's fame. When he lived he was the inbred son of a heretical pharao and he never accomplish much before he died. And now not even Ramses II, who was considered such a big deal that nine other pharaos took his name, is more well known than him.

Imagine if the grave of Charles II of Spain was opened in a thousand years by future archaeologists.

Plus, Ramses II is more well known for the "Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair" thing nowadays anyway.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Hugo Boss, baby.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You could post content instead of moaning.

Like how they've found a coin that says, "Hiskia, king of Judah", that dates back to 600 BC. It's pretty cool to have some archeological evidence for the Old Testament for once.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

goose fleet posted:

Truly the weirdest season of Friends

Call it An unholy alliance.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Say what you will about the French, but they have oodles of style.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love my dead gay pope.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I know. The Romans invent distillation, Anacletus becomes the third Pope, and Mithraism starts to spread throughout the Empire.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Roman Empire fell about 563 years ago. Edward Gibbon began writing about the fall of the Romans a little over three hundred years after the fact.

I'd really like it if The Fall of the Roman Empire was about Fellini.

This annoys me: The HRE was, in fact, both holy, Roman, and an Empire. Suck it, Voltaire!

Holy: There was some confusion regarding the papal succession during this time, so the HRE had as much legitimacy as the Roman party.
Roman: The emperors considered themselves successors to the Roman Christian Emperors of old, with translatio imperii and everything.
Empire: They were ruled by an emperor.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've been wrong before. It's fine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Well yeah. That's what scribes are for, man!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
According to QI [citation needed], he also had an asbestos tablecloth, which he used to throw into the fire as a party trick, so maybe he wasn't all that... Great.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm Charles II's of Spain parachute account. Goo goo gaa gaa.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
... There's a post counter?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Well, I'm mostly here, so it should be minus 500.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Surely nothing bad will come of this!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"No, no, I painted all of these portraits using my enormous wang as a paint brush! Then I had the Queen of Austria, just cause!"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Suck it, Gilligan!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Nah, it was the Lorax.

He talks for the trees, you see.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
As a Nord who likes to travel, I can report that this habit is still going on to this day.

"Simon and Daniel were here, 2nd of July, 2013".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He was also called "Le Petit Corpral", The Little Corporal, as a sign of affection.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yes, but why male models? :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Apraxin posted:

A few US political/presidential things involving people called Johnson:

Ronald Reagan was shot in Washington, and George Washington was shot with a raygun.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There's a difference between "camp" and "gay".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Ask your mother.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've got Western European in me every Wednesday night.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
What about Crusading?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Aphrodite posted:

Scorpion's wasn't turning into a scorpion. Isn't that weird?

He just wanted his opponent to get over there. A chain hook is kind of like a scorpion tail if you think about it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Romanus Eunt Martius

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
For gently caress's sake, royals. Could you stop screwing your close relatives for five minutes?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's also a 20th century painter called Francis Bacon, who is distinct from the gentlemen you mentioned.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The world being round makes some sense. If you live by the sea, like the Greeks, ships would seem to disappear when they cross the horizon, but later come back. Ancient people weren't stupid, they interpreted the data they had with the leading theories of the day. The sphere is a perfect shape, so why wouldn't the Gods have made the world into such a shape?

Eratosthenes even calculated the approximate circumference of the Earth, and got fairly close to boot. Source

If you ask me, the dumbest thing Aristotle gave us (and that managed to survive for quite some time) was the idea that flies and other insects only had four legs.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Greeks were generally far better at developing theories as to how the world works than testing them.

One thing that didn't quite work out is their idea that testicles act as a counterweight to the vocal cords.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, they even crushed the assassins, a group that even Saladin feared. Fun story about the assassins: Ahmad Sanjar (a Seljuq ruler) tried to drive the assassins from one of their stronghold in Alamut. Hassan-i Sabbah, who was the leader of that group of assassins, sent envoys to negotiate peace but Sanjar rebuffed them. Then one morning when Sanjar woke up there was a dagger stuck in the ground next to his bed. Then a messenger arrived with a message from Sabbah: "Did I not wish the sultan well that the dagger which was struck in the hard ground would have been planted on your soft breast". Sanjar left Alamut alone from that day.

No-one saw where the assassin went, but there was a group of monks walking around. He could have gone anywhere.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think I read somewhere that around the time the first Crusade was happening Christians were still the majority in the Holy Land but they were mostly from sects that were considered heretical by European Christians and/or they were simply indistinguishable from the Muslim to an outsider so they got put to the sword anyway.

It's been said in this thread before, but "You are being Christian wrong" has been a super common reason for war in Europe. Makes sense that it'd stretch to the Crusades as well.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Is that Will Shakes Beard, of Stratford?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Nah, that's Dov.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Rip in peace, Joshua I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yet they're called the Dutch. Weird detail, that.