Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Frogfingers posted:

Now that is strange. The area of Brittany has basically always been nominally Celtic. Why would island Celtic supplant continental?

Alright, now I have to redeem myself with a true fact. Everyone has heard of the Silk Road between the edges of China and the old extents of the Roman empire. But before that there was another road; the Amber road, stretching from the southern baltic coast down to the Med. Polish amber has shown up on a staggering amount of truly ancient artefacts, including beads on Tutankhamen's clothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Road

Well, the Bretons seem to come from (celtic, of course) British soldiers who accompanied a Roman commander, Magnus Maximus, across the waters to Gaul into Italy in 387 to contest for the imperial throne. He failed and much of his army settled in Britanny. This was long after romanisation of Gaul so the continental Celtic language had already basically been supplanted by vulgar latin/celtic dialetcs. He was a hugely popular man in Britain and he was a culture hero character for a long time there and is still remembered today as Macsen Wlaedig with plenty of old stories. It's a cool weird story and there's quite a lot more too it though some of it is rather vague. The linguistic evidence definitely backs the basic story up though.

He's often been connected to Arthurian stories in latter days since it is reckoned his death marked the end of Roman Britain.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Frogfingers posted:

That makes sense because I saw a study of Breton male names and they're basically all connected with warfare for some reason, such is clear now. I wish I had saved the link.

Not heard of that! Please link it if you find it, sounds interesting.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That is cool, you are cool. Thank you very much!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That owns, bronze is by far my favourite material. It is preserved so well! gently caress iron imo. The best things to see in chinese museums are the Shang dynasty bronzes if you get the chance. Much like well preserved ceramics they feel like they surely can't be as old as they are but you know they are.

edit:

:gizz:

:q:

Bet there's a good story behind this one.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Nov 26, 2015

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Shang bronzes are awesome, but Yoruba and Edo bronzes from west Africa will always be my favorites.

Yoruba bust, ~11th-14th century CE

Edo statue of a Portuguese soldier, 17th century CE

Edo plaque of king with attendants, 16th century CE. This one is about 20x14 inches/50x40 cm

Nowhere near as old, but absolutely amazing artwork.

Yeah these are totally cool and were central to a crisis in the art and anthropological world about whether Africans were capable of 'Art' or not, let alone sophisticated craft. Classic 'this must have been Greek dudes who came down and made them (forget that all the faces look real african)'. The same thing happened with the ruins at Great Zimbabwe.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lies, the ancestor of all modern bears was invented by the nazis

I call it the 'phantom bear' hypothesis. No one can prove that bears existed before 1930.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Dec 29, 2015

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

As I recall, he simply preferred larger forms for his work. It might have been handy for art that's meant to be viewed at a distance (e.g. In the Sistine Chapel).

Seems a weird explanation. It's not like scaling wasn't understood reasonably well back then.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think part of it was that the sculptors of the time (including ol' Mikey) were being heavily influenced by ancient Greek or Roman sculpture, which involved a lot of dudes. Greek sculpture in particular had a ton of naked athletes and there was this bit of belief that athletic young men were the most aesthetically pleasing thing ever. So, making a beautiful statue of a woman involved making it of an athletic young man with boobs stapled on.

Another fun fact about Michelangelo; he was a cranky, angry jerk that absolutely nobody liked. One of the reasons there was a rivalry between him and Leonardo when they lived in the same city was because Leonardo was the polar opposite. If he had some extra cash laying around he'd sometimes head down to the market and buy birds just to let them go.

Oh yeah I mean I know nothing much about the subject but that's more or less what I thought. The scale thing was what I was saying seemed weird to me and probably not a good explanation. Still, not like classical sculpture was short of pretty celebrated female nudes.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Fu Hao was one of the wives of King Wu Ding of Shang in roughly 1200 B.C

Why was she cool? Well, she was the foremost military leader of her day in addition to being a high priestess, unusual for her day.
She defeated the Tu-Fang in a single decisive battle and went on to defeat the Yi, Qiang and Ba, a big deal.

We know this from oracle bone inscriptions and her nearly intact tomb found in the 70's which contained inscribed ritual vessels and weapons of war.

You should all look up the story of how the Shang dynasty was re-discovered and the story of oracle bones, amongst the coolest stories in archaeology.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Still my favourite thread on the forum that roman dodecahedron one, I think. It's certainly up there.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I was always suspicious of Mayday = m'aider because these days people shout 'a l'aide!' in emergencies afaik but what do I know. edit: looking it up, the current opinion seems to be that it's more because it could sound like m'aider but that someone came up with mayday first and it's a semi-coincidence.

Another French Fun Fact: Louis XIV made having a fistula fashionable since he suffered from one for a long time so lots of people pretending to sit uncomfortably etc.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Dec 7, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Kassad posted:

It could come from "venez m'aider" (come help me), which is an actual sentence. Just shortened to the last word for the sake of brevity/clearness.

You got me wrong, there's nothing wrong with 'm'aider' technically. It's just not really used in French as far as I know. French is my first language technically but I'm more fluent in English, if it helps.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

You can't hug a child with hyper arms

I would have thought you would hug better if anything

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Byzantine posted:

It was very nice of the Arabs to preserve Greco-Roman civilization after attacking and conquering most of the Greco-Roman Empire in screaming jihad

:yikes:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Someone hasn't read Cellini's autobiography.

And if you haven't you should.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

You just KNOW Churchill munched down on some giraffe in his bunker.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Everyone (most people) round here in South sweden at least still has a name day tied to saints

NLJP has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Jul 11, 2020

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Far as I know the Weimar Republic didn't have any critical air wars, so rather, let's cheer the death of another nazi.

I mean, you're right about the last part being bad but 'serving in' an army is not the same as 'fought in' one.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I was talking about how he served in the Weimar army without fighting for them. I know he fought for the nazis which is yes, very bad

E:maybe I misread the post I replied to but I thought it was implying his serving in the Weimar air force didn't count as being the last surviving person to have been in that army because he didn't 'fight' in it.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Alhazred posted:

One of the most popular treatments was to starve the patient. Galen demonstrated that it was wrong by first showing how sick a starved patient was and then how they recovered by being fed.

But archaeological finds have shown that doctors wasn't just quacks either. One doctor in Rimini who lived 70 years before Galen for example had instruments that could be used for everything from removing arrows to operating cataracts. They also found this bronze tube that was inserted into the patient's penis in order to help them pass water:

From what I've read over the years, generally speaking ancient surgery was very advanced very early. We have a lot of evidence for very successful interventions of all kinds and many preserved tool sets from ancient Egypt onwards that wouldn't change much in form until the 19th century. Basically about as good as you could get before real knowledge of antiseptics and, later, anaesthesia.

Medicine was more or less majority quack bullshit til, arguably, the 1920s with some notable exceptions.

It helps that with surgery you get a pretty immediate result one way or another I guess. Tracing cause and effect is much easier with it.