Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Molentik posted:

The colourful fabrics from (West-) Africa were originally brought to Africa by returning Ghanese soldiers who fought in the Dutch East-Indies Army in the late 19th/early 20th century. They used to be slaves who got their freedom bought in exchange for a few years service in the East-Indies. The Dutch brought them over because they had just lost Belgium and were facing huge manpower shortages. The Ghanese soldiers were paid as much as the Europeans and even got shoes, in contrary to the Ambonese or Javanse that served in the army, who got paid less and weren't allowed to wear shoes.

People from Ghana are referred to as Ghanaian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

canyoneer posted:

Still see it in pro football and baseball

If Kris Bryant played with mascara on, I think I might literally explode. :swoon:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Speaking of Kievan queens, I always liked Anna of Kiev because she was disgusted by the illiteracy and (lack of) hygiene among the French nobility. If I recall correctly, she was also disappointed that there were only three courses at her wedding banquet. She was a classy lady who bathed, spoke a ton of languages, and did a decent job ruling France after Henry I died.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

xthetenth posted:

The last outbreeding in his family tree was a century before his birth.

Weren't his parents less genetically dissimilar than siblings, even if they weren't actually siblings themselves? Charles II was just a total shitshow.