Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Brawnfire posted:

But are you truly living?

i did last night apparently :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

Here's a japanese collection of art about the american revolution from the mid 1800s

https://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/bunko11/bunko11_a0380/bunko11_a0380_0002/bunko11_a0380_0002.html

"[...] mountain woman" on page 33, Pocahontas?

e: or maybe not if its only about the revolution

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I can't find a translation and know no Japanese, but if it's about a mountain woman in the American Revolution, it's possibly Nancy Hart.

Hart is the only Georgia county named for a woman and one of not that many nationwide.

i was also thinking of the feather/leaf outfit she's wearing, could be what 1800s Japanese thought Native Americans wore

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Samovar posted:

So, here's a couple of historical cases that hopefully won't have people enacting Godwin on me - related in that they resulted in British legal code changing, and that they both involved cases of mistaken identity.

wow that poor guy lol, also top notch work by the fuzz there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

meatbag posted:

Who was it? With these things it’s always either a scullery maid or god-emperor

Tewoflos (Ge'ez: ቴዎፍሎስ), throne name Walda Anbasa (Ge'ez: ወልደ አንበሳ, died 14 October 1711), was Emperor of Ethiopia from 1 July 1708 to 14 October 1711, and a member of the Solomonic dynasty. He was the brother of Iyasu I, and one of five sons of Yohannes I.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cool freckles, thought of child labor & threw the baron

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Heh, many of the people running the dairies on the estates in Denmark were originally Dutch, so they were called (Gods-)Hollænder as their job title for a long time, even after they were all Danes. Also, a dairy is called a mejeri which comes from Low German Meier = manager, from Latin major (domus).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I lived on a street called Maglegårds Allé for a while, which is the modern Danish equivalent. Tho that was named after a big farm.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

Using it for fence is very antiquated in Icelandic and only used in sayings like "að ráðast ekki á garðinn þar sem hann er lægstur" which translates as "Not attacking the wall/fence where it's the lowest" which is used when someone is doing or trying something very ambitious. As well as "Fara fyrir ofan garð og neðan" "to go over and under the wall/fence" for when something goes over someone's head.

Modern icelandic for fence is "girðing".

Huh, right, we still have gærde in Danish, and the expression springe over hvor gærdet er lavest = "jump the fence where it's lowest", to do something in the easiest (and possibly incomplete/incorrect) manner. Didn't realize that was the same orgin as gård (though it's kinda obvious now...)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

an example of Jewish humor (or malicious compliance?). The below transpired in Copenhagen around 1760, my translation:

quote:

He [Moritz Gerson Melchior] is the founder of the now so renowned merchant house Moses & Søn G. Melchior. This somewhat peculiar name dates to an auction, where Moses Melchior had won a large bid, and when the auctioneer asked whom the buyer was, and the reply was "Moses Melchior & Son", the follow up was "Yes, which son?" — when it was then notified that it was Gerson Melchior, there was no cause to reject the bid; the auctioneer said: "then we shall write Moses & Son G. Melchior", and thus the company was named.

Carl H. & Clara Melchior, Familieminder tilegnet vore Efterkommere (1915), p. 43
https://bibliotek.slaegt.dk/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=8773

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

venus de lmao posted:

I don't get it. His son isn't mentioned initially, but is named after his father's middle name? Is there a son?

sorry. the names arent the point of it. a merchant house was usually just called "surname & son/company", but for some reason the auctioneer wanted to know the son's name. so they went with the awkward name company name and got it official

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzQKwSnCewU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sleepy.eyes posted:

I have a German buddy who was bitching that since he's a registered Protestant he gets taxed by the government to pay his tithe.

This is my sole data-point.

skill issue. i fixed that when i was 17

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tfw ur in a consensual and mutual armed neutrality league and the goddamn french leave your polycule for the english, of all nations. the english. war criminals, the lot of you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

However, in 1750, a female donkey was acquitted of charges of bestiality due to witnesses to the animal's virtue and good behaviour while her co-accused human was sentenced to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_trial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

They love loving-science