Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EX250 Type R posted:

Mark Twain had his railings at his house in Hartford CT unusually low so he would feel taller. He also used a balcony off his office when unwanted visitors came by to avoid lying/deceit. He would go on to the balcony while his housekeeper would meet the guest and inform them that Mr. Clements was not available as he had just stepped out.

He also would sleep with his head at the foot of his bed because he had a very nice headboard and thought it was a waste to not look at it as he was going to sleep

The house is very cool to go through, growing up in CT we visited it for school field trips a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

syscall girl posted:

So he was a Connecticut Yankee

Nope, born in Missouri and moved to CT

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

I'm sure most of you already know of this book, but for those who don't and like history and weird facts, check out the Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges Into History books. I think there are two history-specific ones, and there are literally dozens of other books in the Bathroom Reader series.

oh poo poo i forgot about uncle johns, those books are fantastic

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I had a book as a kid called Buried in Ice about the Franklin Expedition that had pictures of the ship and items and stuff that was really goddamn rad, now i need to order it off of amazon

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CT has a shitload of interesting history