Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MongooseJ
Jul 28, 2000
Forum Veteran
Philosophy isn't necessarily any less relevant than a degree in political science, history, literature or any of the generalist/liberal arts options (I'd even lump "business" in there).

The concept of a degree being one metric of being able to see something through to completion is real. "Everyone" is getting a degree of some kind, so, what sets you apart is what else you can contribute.

Marketing/Communication, Sales, Finance, IT, Development, Human Resources are six broad occupational categories in any Acme Inc. widget company. Philosophy as a set of skills can help with any of these. IT might be the trickiest, but that's a special beast because you'll set yourself up for a never-ending cycle of retrying as the industry eats itself every n years.

I remember a few years ago when there were some popular journalism articles about the surge in anthropology and other liberal arts-trained people getting jobs at tech companies because they brought different perspectives. That's still true (and honestly hasn't ever not been). Besides, having a reason aside from "it will get me a job" for trudging through university is often a saving grace. Dispassion leads to burnout, no matter how good the money or (false sense of) security is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread