Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Short answer:

Don't.

Source: One of my BAs is in philosophy.

Long answer:

getting a degree in philosophy will train you to be an analytical machine capable of critiquing the poo poo out of things, writing well, and thinking critically.

Unfortunately, for the vast majority of jobs you will apply for when you graduate, the people doing the hiring will look at your degree and think you aren't qualified to do anything.

If your dream is to get a PhD in philosophy double don't do it. Less than 25% of philosophy PhDs get full time teaching positions. So no matter how awesome you think you are, you are probably never going to get a job.

Finally, a BA in Philosophy is a fine degree if you are prepared to double major. For instance, I double majored in Philosophy and Political Science. It was that second degree, before I went to grad school (not for Philosophy), that got me my first post-college job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Tenacious J posted:

Would a pragmatist pay $50,000 and 4 years of their prime for a guided tour through material also available at a library?

Edit: As a serious answer that sounds hyperbolic but probably isn't - philosophy degrees are relics of a past generation and people are starting to realize this. Getting one would be a blast IF you were fortunate enough to not have to worry about career and money afterwards (i.e., you're rich). And given my background it hurts to say it, but it's true.

Yes, because you really need to be trained to read philosophy. I had a friend who considered himself a philosophical autodidact. He literally highlighted entire philosophy books and "read" the Phenomenology of Spirit and had no idea what the master slave dialectic was. :downswords:

In all seriousness, unless you're loving Wittgenstein, you really benefit from a formal Philosophy education; that is, if you want to learn how to read Philosophy and critique the poo poo out of stuff. Not if you actually want a job based on being a college graduate. Knowing how to read philosophy helped me run rings around Political Theorists who, for instance, haphazardly use Kant, when I was getting my PhD (in Political Science).

• Locked thread