Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trainrides
Jun 1, 2012

I have a master's in philosophy, from a Scandinavian country. I don't know how this major/minor stuff works. I got a bachelor's in philosophy, then my masters.

I don't think it ever helped me get a job. I have had jobs in media and publishing as well as teaching uni level courses where it might have been useful, but connections and experience were probably the important factor. After finishing my thesis, I went for a year of history, then pedagogy (sp?) to teach, and finally additional pedagogy to teach students with learning disabilities and other difficulties. I teach junior high now.

As for what you might "use" the degree for, it's been said. It's not trade school or vocational. Other than teaching philosophy there is no career where a philosophy degree is a prerequisite. I studied philosophy because the questions philosophers attempt to answer are the most fascinating I have ever encountered. My thoughts now are that it's probably the best thing I ever did with my life. I wish I had done a year of English or Spanish rather than history, as this would have made me more attractive in teaching, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread