Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Dogfish posted:

This is another argument that I find consistently puzzling. Of course not all philosophy graduates will be good at what they studied. Neither will all graduates from any other field. Of course formal university education in one discipline is not the only way to acquire a certain set of skills. That's true for all fields of study. Literally the only point I have made in this thread is that it's possible to learn some really useful stuff from philosophy education, which will serve you well in the future, in much the same way that it's possible to learn really useful stuff which will serve you well in the future from other fields of study.

If you want to talk about how tertiary education in general has some real quality issues to address in all aspects of its structure, I'm happy to have that conversation, because it's true. But the point I'm specifically making is that the claim that liberal arts in general, and philosophy in particular, are less useful and teach fewer important skills than STEM education, doesn't stand up to scrutiny. All philosophy education doesn't have to be excellent and all philosophy graduates don't have to be productive and well-trained for that to be correct.

Of course it stands up to scrutiny, you just have to look at average pay and job availability for one second to discover that. Your points completely ignore that while all majors give you something, some prepare you for the job market much better than others. And when college costs are through the roof that's something that really matters for most people, who can't afford to spend 50k on a major that leads to high unemployment and low pay.

Where this really becomes obvious is on the PhD level. Good lord does it suck there for LA (except math/stats) people there- I think English phd's have about 1-2 openings per year depending on what period they studied. And the average amount of time spent on the PhD was something like 7-8 years compared to 5.5 for stem. I can't even imagine spending that much time knowing the chances of getting a job were about the same as a high school basketball player getting into the NBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread