Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Anyone want to tell me the real deal with this major? Literally all I've ever heard about it are the played-out jokes about how it's a bullshit degree for burn-outs, smuggos, and live-at-home manchildren. While I don't doubt there is some reality to this, I'd like to know if there is another side to the story.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience? Does anyone here actually have a job (ideally beyond teaching philosophy) that this or a like degree helped them earn? If a pragmatic individual were to pursue this kind of major, even just for the sake of personal enrichment, how good do you think are their chances of just wishing they got a library card instead?

I majored in philosophy when I went to college. I heard all the jokes and was like "these are just jokes, right?"

It turns out the word "joke" means "tell the brutal truth and then laugh about it."

- I found that generally, the people who major in philosophy tend to actually be pretty bright and outgoing, if a bit stuck up intellectually - but they like to do a lot of drugs and party.
- The major itself was cool and intellectually stimulating and you get to read a bunch of interesting books and write a lot of papers. The reading can be really dense and difficult.

So the actual experience of going to college and getting an undergrad philosophy degree was not that bad. Where the experience falls apart is the part where you get a job afterwards. Getting a tenure track position as a college philosophy professor is not a sure thing - first you need a phD, and that doesn't even guarantee a job, most people with philosophy phD's don't end up as professors. An alternative to that is law school, but the bottom has fallen out of law school and that's another 150,000 dollars of degree, and even that won't be that useful unless you do really well on the LSAT and end up going to like a T15 law school and do everything right.

So realistically, you have the same shot as anyone with a generic degree (like communications, biology, etc) of getting some random corporate job. I ended up getting a job in software QA and became a software developer later (went back to school part time and did a master's in CS.)

Realistically though, if I had to do it again, I would not just major in philosophy. I would double major with math or computer science. It seems like there are a lot more entry level jobs available to someone with a CS/Math degree than a generic degree, and while I think people with generic degrees end up OK in the end, the transition between college/real world is much less pleasant than it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Magnetic North posted:

Quoted for truth. I am literally doing the same thing except a few years behind and without drugs (which come to think of it was probably why I don't have any remaining philosophy friends).

For anyone considering taking these classes, see if your college offers a Philosophy of Science class, especially if you are a STEM or 'hard' science major. It is likely to be fairly advanced, so you will need some fundamentals and prerequisites first. Still, you could find it to be a fantastic resource for understanding why science works the way that it does, learn to to delineate what is science and what isn't, and then discover some interesting (disputed) problems with the scientific method.

Philosophy of science and epistemology were my big areas. That was a lot of fun to study and I wish that stuff was in philosophy 100 rather than "how the the Matrix is like Plato's allegory of the Cave and Descartes."

• Locked thread