Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
study what you want and worry about job and the likes later. im a high school teacher and this is what i tell my students.

please understand that most jobs and traineeships don't actually require a specific degree. they just want to see an MA degree or higher to demonstrate you can think. universities are not job-factories, you don't learn how to do a job at university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
also im sad that americans have to consider jobs when they want to study something, since in the civilized world universities are free or tuiton is low so that it doesn't really matter what you study, since you wont be in debt anyway.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
letting high school kids choose a "career" is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. if you think they know nothing about academia, get this: they know even less about real life jobs.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, I have literally never met anyone with a postgraduate degree who was flipping burgers or something like that. and most of the graduates I know have degrees in the most "unmarketable" fields available, like literature, linguistics, philosophy. guess what, they all have normal jobs making normal wages. most of them have nothing to do with their fields of course, but this is true of most fields. you are absolutely deluded if you think someone with a postgraduate degree has to struggle in life unless they choose to do so.

do understand that I'm coming from a European context, where studying does not load you with debt.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
my five closest friends with philosophy degrees, all early thirties:

One is a journalist at a major newspaper
One works as a policy advisor for the department of environment
One works for Shell (this is the big sellout boo)
One is finishing a paid traineeship in public policy at various Dutch state departments
One works at an independent publisher reading cool books all day and getting paid for it.

all really enjoy their work which is full of cool people and are happy they don't work in a corporate environment and/or being surrounded by engineers. except the shell one I guess, but he gets to travel around the world 1st class so that's also cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

inward and outward posted:

So ten years after college they have all found adult jobs.

I didn't say anything about how long they have had their jobs?

Anyway, i don't know anyone who left university before 25. it's pretty much standard to remain at uni for 6+ years in Holland and the 10th year student is a common sight, although now much less so than 20 years ago because the government decided to cut back student allowances. the state used to give you free money as a student indefinitely, now it's 3-4 years for a BA and 1-2 years for an MA so students tend to finish earlier.

• Locked thread