Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Doughboys is a podcast where Mike "Mitch" Mitchell (The Birthday Boys), Nick Wiger (@Midnight), and a guest from the world of comedy indulge their shared love of chain restaurants like T.G.I. Friday's, Hard Rock Cafe, and Domino's.

Each episode focuses on a single restaurant chain which is dissected in detail. They consider their individual history with the chain, recent visits, and even the socio-political climate surrounding the restaurant's place in our culture. Then, they issue a fork rating, from one to five forks.

Mitch loves to make up extra awards to keep things interesting, most prominently the "Golden Plate Club" which is awarded to any chain that receives 4 or more forks from every panelist. Golden Plate Club winners currently include Chipotle, Carl's Jr., Chick-Fil-A, Buffalo Wild Wings, and L&L Barbecue. A Platinum Plate Club membership was awarded to LA favorite In-N-Out Burger.

There's also a rotating second segment including "Snack or Wack" which has them review a new snack food, "Drink or Stank" which is the same thing except with a beverage, and "The Leftovers" where they revisit food from a past review after leaving it in the refrigerator overnight.

The hosts are affable and funny, the guests are interesting, and the subject is relatable. What makes it great is the interplay between Nick and Mitch, which starts at good-natured ribbing and frequently devolves to no-holds-barred verbal sucker punches.

You can really jump in at any point, but here are some episodes I particularly enjoyed:

• T.G.I. Fridays: Good "baseline" ep. Mitch delivers a surprisingly impassioned monologue about TGI Friday's that is sure to bring a tear to your eye.
  • Chipotle: Guest Mike Hanford is funny, but the highlight is the invention of the Golden Plate Club
  • Chick-fil-a: Controversy strikes the Doughboys. Can you still enjoy delicious food if you disagree with its politics? There's twist ending that you will not see coming.
  • Carrow's: The worst food they've reviewed, almost killed Mitch

I would suggest listening to the "Rockdoughberfest" episodes in order to hear Mitch's descent into madness over the course of the month.

New episodes generally drop Thursday from the Feral Audio podcast network. Follow the podcast on twitter for photos and more, if you're a completionist in that way.

I maintain a tumblr to keep track of the ratings and some of the other awards, check it out if you're interested: http://goldenplate.club/

Here's a good video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1p9IKbFoE

anotherone fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
the taco bell and subway eps are my favorites

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Rock doughber fest was fun but im excited for them to get back to reviewing places ive actually been to.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My fave memory of this pod is the TGI Firdays one where, around 50 minutes in, Mitch's opening to his review of the restaurant and Friday the day forces like a minute-long laughbreak. The Domino's epi is great as well, as Mitch is just laying into fellow birthday boy Matt Kowalick for an hour and it starts out a bit awkward but by the end, Nick Wiger and I think the audience at home completely get where he's coming from.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just checked into this with the first episode.

"I hear Jared Fogle is kinda a jerk"

Haha oh man.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Not only is this show funny but, it's a great resource for knowing how many forks out of a possible 20 tines a chain restaurant gets for its food. You can use that information yourself to decide if you should eat there.

Work Friend Keven fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
For example: want to try eating Taco Bell? But aren't sure if you'd like Mexican food? No problem. Check out the Taco Bell ep and you'll know if Taco Bell is good or not. No spoilers from me... You'll have to listen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Should I eat taco bell????

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Someone help me out. There's an episode early on, probably no later than #6, where Mitch is being harder than usual on Nick but he burns Mitch so bad later on that even Spoonman is like "well, ya got me!" I know that's like zero information, but it made me crack up so much. I know they don't actually hate each other, but their wimpy nerd/dumb jock dynamic is great.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This is such a fun show, (especially if you are a food-obsessed lardass with questionable dignity.) Wiger and Mitchell have a great, snippy rapport, and people talking about guilty pleasures with unbridled earnestness and candor is almost always an enjoyable listen. I loved Spoonman's increasing hatred of the Rockdoughberfest concept with each subsequent episode and the way he kept retroactively downgrading his previous reviews. I do hope was playing up his fatigue with the concept of the show itself, though.

This week they're taking on one of the big boys: Burger King. I've got hella opinions about BK myself (I still like a regular Whopper but otherwise they've gone fully off the rails since ownership changed hands in 2010 and dropping Crispin Porter + Bogusky as their ad firm hasn't helped; also what the gently caress is with their recent offerings like the "Extra Long Cheeseburger" and the "Yumbo") so I'm eager to hear what the Doughboys have to say about them.

anotherone posted:

I maintain a tumblr to keep track of the ratings and some of the other awards, check it out if you're interested: http://goldenplate.club/

Glory be, this is handy. Plus you included their photos! Good work, I give it 5 forks.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Should I eat taco bell????

I find it handy to remember this little rhyme: Taco Bell, Good as Hell

(If you listen to Wiger, you should eat at Del Taco, which is some fuckin' West Coast elitism if I've ever heard it. It's been creeping eastward but my "closest" location is Atlanta, which is still nearly 6 miserable hours away.)

Mr. Squishy posted:

My fave memory of this pod is the TGI Firdays one where, around 50 minutes in, Mitch's opening to his review of the restaurant and Friday the day forces like a minute-long laughbreak.

"Friday was pizza night...Urkel...TGIF...all these things I loved as a kid. And now, here's this restaurant..."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 5, 2015

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
I laughed out loud walking down the street when Nick reviewed Del Taco and got bleeped.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've lost all respect for The Burger Boy after hearing Del Taco is 5 forks, presumably. It's soooo bland. If I want cheap disgusting unauthentic Mexican food, I'm going to Taco Bell. Flavor country, baby.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Really good thoughts on burger king this week... I have always thought that burger king needed to get away from the gimmicks and focus on what got them there, the classic Whopper.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When are they gonna do KFC

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

To me I felt their review of chicken fries was OFF THE MARK... Chicken fries are one of my favorite BK dishes... and these guys either got some bad fries or just don't have what it takes. Honestly messed up and I've never done this before but I'm putting this episode of doughboys in the Lead Plate Club and giving it only two and a half spoons: two regular spoons and one tiny collectible spoon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mike's slow shift into nihilism in the beginning of this episode was pretty great. Also, Fudruckers is pretty good when you want a bit better quality quick and cheap burger.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
For the longest time I thought Fuddruckers was a made-up restaurant from Idiocracy. I don't think I've ever actually seen one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I haven't been to one in literally 20 years but It will have a place in my heart forever because i made a really gross (good) jalapeno and nacho cheese burger there when I was a kid.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Great episode, though I wish they had touched on the "Exotics" menu that Fuddruckers offers (Bison, boar and elk burgers.)

I was ready to join their Sad Loners at Fuddrucker's club myself and go this weekend, but it looks like the location near me fell victim to the effects of the 2008 recession Wiger mentioned in his intro. There's only two left in my state now and they're both 3 hours away. Doughboys built my hopes up and reality dashed them once again.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I went to Burger King to get a coke icee and not only did they not have them, they didn't have any of the flavors listed on their menu. Instead they just had blue raspberry and lime. This is what I get for living in a test-market city.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Im infuriated at Wiger for saying that dairy queen Blizzards and McFlurrys are milkshakes

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

As for myself, I feel a boundless and justified rage at Mike "the spoon man" Mitchel confusing wing stop and wing street.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

manyak posted:

Im infuriated at Wiger for saying that dairy queen Blizzards and McFlurrys are milkshakes

I almost always side with the burger boy but he is just plain wrong. You can turn a blizzard upside down. You can't do that poo poo with a milkshake!!!!

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Lol

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007
Waiting to see if it gets approved, but I submitted Mike Mitchell knows the guy who did the voice for buck the wonder dog on married with children to imdb trivia.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Just listened to the Domino's episode, which features as a special guest one of the host's old roommates. Holy crap, listening to the two of them constantly snipe at each other was laugh-out-loud hilarious.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mennoknight posted:

I almost always side with the burger boy but he is just plain wrong. You can turn a blizzard upside down. You can't do that poo poo with a milkshake!!!!

I always want to side with Burger Boy but...between this, his proclamation that he likes BK's "Extra Long Cheeseburger," his indifference to Thanksgiving, and his preference of Cheese-Nips over Cheez-Its (Fuckin'....what,) I think I'm fully a member of Spoon Nation.

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I always want to side with Burger Boy but...between this, his proclamation that he likes BK's "Extra Long Cheeseburger," his indifference to Thanksgiving, and his preference of Cheese-Nips over Cheez-Its (Fuckin'....what,) I think I'm fully a member of Spoon Nation.

This, and lets not forget the bullshit he tried pulling on Mt Frymore. chili fries? Really??

Totally Spoon Nation.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Just listened to the Domino's episode, which features as a special guest one of the host's old roommates. Holy crap, listening to the two of them constantly snipe at each other was laugh-out-loud hilarious.

"Did he ever mush you into a basketball and dribble you?"

"Now Mitch that's not a very good question!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

djnkro posted:

This, and lets not forget the bullshit he tried pulling on Mt Frymore. chili fries? Really??

Totally Spoon Nation.

Chili Fries, I won't argue with, but...pho over ramen?

gently caress the Burger Boy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Burger Boy is right on pho and right for America.

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007
Success!

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Five Forks across the board for Steak 'n Shake is the correct rating and I'm glad that they rectified the Biglari/"limited menu" disaster.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Can't wait for them to comment on The Force Awakens' shocking lack of Constable Zuvio.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I still can't believe the Doughboys did a 4+ hour round trip just to go to a Steak N Shake. You drive all that way, you might as well spend the night in Vegas.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Wiger wins me over by pronouncing "Reese's" correctly...and then immediately goes on a two minute, fundamentally wrongheaded rant about how eggnog is bad.

Tsk tsk, Burger Boy.

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Wiger wins me over by pronouncing "Reese's" correctly...and then immediately goes on a two minute, fundamentally wrongheaded rant about how eggnog is bad.

Tsk tsk, Burger Boy.

Agreed. I really want to like Wiger, but he keeps loving it up. he will nail it maybe a third of the time. But then fumble over the most pedestrian task. I know spoon nation is like the Yankees of doughboys, but I gotta go spoon nation.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
SpoonNation is ever vigilant against the Recoats of Wigertown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm on Team Burger Boy when it comes to boneless wings and pizza place bread sticks. Cast them into the river.