Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
This was a fun ep, but like most Doughboys it's easier to listen at x1.5 speed. At that rate Besser sounds like he does normally on I4H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

jack allison posted:

i used to read him posts from this and the comedy bang bang thread when we lived together

doing the Lord's work

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Hope you get our Patreon $ soon, that sounds like a nightmare.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Comedy writers make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Yes, that includes "out of work" people like Nick after @t Midnight stopped. Writing anything, at all, for any number of episodes pays as much as laboring in a blue collar job for hundreds of hours.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/what-comedy-pays.html

Why are people surprised? That's about (or much less) than SV/big-city programmers make, or Lawyers, or Doctors, or high-level Union Guys, etc etc. It's not fair at a society level but it would be actually surprising if Wiger made $30k/year or something.

This feels karmically good to me, because Twitch streamers and Youtube bloggers make a lot more and they can die in a fire

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I mostly just feel bad that Nick and Mitch had to deal with the fallout of a feud between people who are somehow more socially inept than them

(For context, it looks like Jack Allison called out Spencer from Harmontown for posting on Reddit about how he thinks the Doughboys shouldn't have made their Patreon haul private a few weeks ago, and for some reason Spencer thought the best way to deal with that was to tag Nick/Mitch directly on Twitter in a post where he made the same point about the Patreon??? Also it looks like Feral/Starburns was lovely about paying their podcasters, Spencer included)

Yeah! Doughboys pay their guests, as does Chapo. It makes sense and is a fair tradeoff for their grassroots success

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Evan "The Commissioner" Susser was paid as much as the entire Doughboys Patreon year for writing the Sonic movie

In light of that, it's seriously admirable that Nick and Mitch feel shame over getting too many donations from true fans on Patreon. That's some serious Actually Cares About The Art mindset

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

soggybagel posted:

The aukerman episode was very funny. And I love how Wiger didn’t recognize he does talk so loving loud.

Maybe I'm a an oblivious loud guy because I never noticed thought that about Nick

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think the bigger issue is that as soon as he raises his voice even a fraction he sounds furious

Ahh, that's it. If Nick wasn't funny and self-deprecating then he would be obnoxious as hell

Shaun Clements has a similar issue (different voice) where he always comes off as sarcastic

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

RGD hates women

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

The worst guest is probably John "my personality is smoking weed" Gabrus

Gabrus and The Knife are awesome guests when you're in the mood for their energy and "strong" personalities

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

not sure how intentional it was but i enjoyed wiger referring to the cheese pizza as "the cp"

Mitch is too pure to have a riff on that

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I don't care where he sourced the stories or who compiled his script, I just wish he'd read through it and look things up before the show. Yeah it's funny when both of them brainstorm, but it's funnier when Dave plays the Narrator and drops bizarre trivia on a confused Gary

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

https://twitter.com/josh_levin/status/1165614546813427713

It was a bummer. Dollop used to be my favorite show, but Dave Anthony had to be all Dave Anthony about it.

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1165766471114547201?s=20

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

In conclusion, Mitch and Wiger should guest on a Dollop about McDonalds or the Great Boston Molasses Flood

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 16, 2019

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Never has there been a fat comedian more hung up on toilet humor. Poor guy can't even use a public restroom or let his friends remain in a post-dump apartment. Yeah, this is kinda funny for the podcast, but he seriously needs therapy on this Freudian poo poo

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Goddamn, that Harris Wittels joke Gabrus drops was an atomic bomb. :stonklol:

What show/episode?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

I hated working in grocery stores and warehouses and I still do. Lots of little things in jobs like that, like how management will frequently treat all the employees like braindead children and prevent them from doing things that might harm "productivity" like listening to music or podcasts during a repetitive nighttime stocking job in a closed store.

I've only had one job in my life where I didn't have to move tons of boxes of poo poo and constantly dig around a bunch of shelves. I definitely enjoyed not having to do those things, even though the job was dull and repetitive.

This pisses me off to no end. So many jobs would be tolerable with podcasts but every manager will probably power trip over headphones

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

THIRDY DOLLERZ

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

That's going to be really helpful, thanks

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

man this was a funny episode

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Xxc3vZ1QU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Jeremor posted:

This episode is loving crazy

I haven't hit Bug Mane at 20min, but Nick and Mitch are having a lot of fun with perfect chemistry talking authoritatively and seriously about idiotic poo poo, i.e my favorite comedy style. Wet Hot American Summer, The Other Guys, Step Brothers, Zoolander, and Walk Hard come to mind for that (without claiming they're 10/10 for execution)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

She certainly is. It seemed like the first few episodes she was stuck in a "grumpy" role but she's really shining lately. The three of them are a great team.

Srice posted:

I like how Heather is able to keep wild facts about her background a secret until it's relevant, like how on the Street Fighter III episode she revealed that she participated in the first major Street Fighter II tournament in the US.

At the start of the pod I started "hearing evidence" that she was a compulsive STDH.txt person who is also a talented comedian and gamer, like something you let slide for friends. At this point I think she just does, in fact, have a crazily interesting life with huge breadth and depth of experience. If I had to guess I'd say either she consciously doesn't give a poo poo what strange men and goony types think, or she is unconsciously communicating in a way reminiscent of compulsive liars. Could be entirely in my head but it was a strong conclusion at the time

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Toast King posted:

I definitely never got that vibe at any point, there's just some interesting people out there who aren't forcing it into every conversation all of the time. And it's great!

Exactly, I had a pre-trained reaction to her being effortlessly honest and open about her cool stories. That behavior triggered my brain's "suspiciously unusual" alarm, and I made up an ex-post-facto explanation for it). Maybe that says something about the kind of people that get famous in podcasting outside of nerd niche topics. The first clue should have been "she performed with Nick for 12 years before this show".

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

We're going to start hearing about fan letters to Wonder Showzen recommending a backwards episode.

Like, there are 30-somethings in the US who can *actually* back up the claim "I put a cool drawing with a list of powers for my megamanboss in an envelope and mailed the envelope to Nintendo and Nintendo is putting him in the next game because he was better than every other kid's megamanboss from the entire country... except maybe Alaska and Hawaii cause I didn't see their megamanbosses"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

indigi posted:

Doug Jones should be a hypnotist. My god.

drat. while I'm sure he's great too I was hoping for Abe Sapian / Pale Man

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Today on The Doughboys, we have Mr. Saru to review different seaweed soups

Mac Tonight, talking MacDonalds with 'boys, tonight? would have been next-level podcasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClksIvHsYcc

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Binowru posted:

Heather Anne Campbell also pops up on Key & Peele here and there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM&ab_channel=ComedyCentral

I bet she wrote the part with her character's "contribution", drat

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

eke out posted:

I laughed at Wiger calling Mountain Dew: Southern Shock a "great varietal"

didn't Chris Gethard explain to them the value of real-sugar no-HFCS soda? seems like an obvious thing Nick would ignore (for comedy or because he's goony), like arguing over the best flavor of Mad Dog when a box of Franzia is better in every way. god drat I love their commitment to nerd arguments regardless of wether anything is "important"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

haha, it always comes down to nerd arguments over "objective quality" huh

when I was at 12 drinks/day I had strong opinions on the best flavor of Mike's Fruity 12% Malt Liquour to mix with seltzer

(it goes lemon > blue > watermelon > grape)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

indigi posted:

Franzia is just the only thing that gives me hangovers that cause actual suffering. Anything else I’m good with a Motrin and a tums in the morning

I found it helps to dump a couple of 7-11's free coffee shots into a 40 for beer, or take uppers with wine/liquor. Emetrol is the one OTC medicine that actually seems to help with the puking-dehydration-water-puking cycle

Doughboys could have Gabrus on for an episode entirely about weed+food/wine pairings. He's mentioned it on High & Mighty and I know jack poo poo about the topic despite getting really into edibles

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Dr.Radical posted:

I imagine your liver is a sickly shade of green with mildew splotches all over it

you'd think so, and I thought so, but I found it pretty easy to do a full Dry January using edibles. Zero physical symptoms beyond insomnia (which existed before the booze)

Edit: I know you're joking around, but that's the kind of mindset industry assholes have when judging Mitch/Gabrus for being "too fat to play a fat guy" since TV fat is what "good people who overeat" look like. These "monsters" (a pretty sad term Gabrus and Mitch have internalized) must be deviant to weigh 300lbs and eat & drink so much

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 29, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mitch is ashamed to talk to doctors because he rightfully knows they'll prescribe "diet and exercise, fewer calories in than out" while cruelly chuckling to themselves

obviously I had to stop drinking like that or I would have eventually died, but the moral judgement seemed a little less "legitimate" when I stopped cold turkey with no physical side effects. of course I was still depressed AF, but that was helped by friends and family and self-confidence. strangely enough, I didn't value those three as much when I was drowning myself while seeing therapists and psychiatrists

Edit: Wiger had the same diet when he was a game programmer (something he always downplays as uncool), and I bootstrapped myself into a computer janitor position while drinking that disgusting concoction

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 29, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

(I'm not gonna post for a while because this is not the Analytic Engine thread. I felt compelled to dump that "wall of text" because the objectively best episodes of Doughboys / Action Boyz / YKS / etc are when these actually-funny-people are either living their best lives obsessing over nerd stuff, or calling out the horseshit in their industry)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

indigi posted:

now I have my wall of text

they're goons

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Dacap posted:

Also Mitch trying to pinpoint the cause of his gastric distress which is 100% an Omicron symptom

Wonder where they picked up "stomach trouble" for that. Works perfectly here but I had been using it for "hungover" or "nauseous"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

quote:

Mitchell will portray Stu, Mike’s best friend, the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern of this world, and together often find themselves to be more followers than fighters.

Vaughans will portray Mike, Stu’s best friend, the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern of this world, and together often find themselves to be more followers than fighters.

It's R&Gs all the way down

Encouraging to know Mitch is the hero of his own sidestory

Spoonman Gaiden

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Jeremor posted:

The sauce is basically just remoulade.

Thanks, filing this with aioli under "super mayonnaise"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Cloks posted:

it's easy to make at home by mixing ketchup, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce

Mitch would quit halfway through this recipe

Wiger would accidentally do it by knocking everything into a bowl