Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Doughboys is a podcast where Mike "Mitch" Mitchell (The Birthday Boys), Nick Wiger (@Midnight), and a guest from the world of comedy indulge their shared love of chain restaurants like T.G.I. Friday's, Hard Rock Cafe, and Domino's.

Each episode focuses on a single restaurant chain which is dissected in detail. They consider their individual history with the chain, recent visits, and even the socio-political climate surrounding the restaurant's place in our culture. Then, they issue a fork rating, from one to five forks.

Mitch loves to make up extra awards to keep things interesting, most prominently the "Golden Plate Club" which is awarded to any chain that receives 4 or more forks from every panelist. Golden Plate Club winners currently include Chipotle, Carl's Jr., Chick-Fil-A, Buffalo Wild Wings, and L&L Barbecue. A Platinum Plate Club membership was awarded to LA favorite In-N-Out Burger.

There's also a rotating second segment including "Snack or Wack" which has them review a new snack food, "Drink or Stank" which is the same thing except with a beverage, and "The Leftovers" where they revisit food from a past review after leaving it in the refrigerator overnight.

The hosts are affable and funny, the guests are interesting, and the subject is relatable. What makes it great is the interplay between Nick and Mitch, which starts at good-natured ribbing and frequently devolves to no-holds-barred verbal sucker punches.

You can really jump in at any point, but here are some episodes I particularly enjoyed:

• T.G.I. Fridays: Good "baseline" ep. Mitch delivers a surprisingly impassioned monologue about TGI Friday's that is sure to bring a tear to your eye.
  • Chipotle: Guest Mike Hanford is funny, but the highlight is the invention of the Golden Plate Club
  • Chick-fil-a: Controversy strikes the Doughboys. Can you still enjoy delicious food if you disagree with its politics? There's twist ending that you will not see coming.
  • Carrow's: The worst food they've reviewed, almost killed Mitch

I would suggest listening to the "Rockdoughberfest" episodes in order to hear Mitch's descent into madness over the course of the month.

New episodes generally drop Thursday from the Feral Audio podcast network. Follow the podcast on twitter for photos and more, if you're a completionist in that way.

I maintain a tumblr to keep track of the ratings and some of the other awards, check it out if you're interested: http://goldenplate.club/

Here's a good video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1p9IKbFoE

anotherone fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
I laughed out loud walking down the street when Nick reviewed Del Taco and got bleeped.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
For the longest time I thought Fuddruckers was a made-up restaurant from Idiocracy. I don't think I've ever actually seen one.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Five Forks across the board for Steak 'n Shake is the correct rating and I'm glad that they rectified the Biglari/"limited menu" disaster.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Wow, I don't disagree with 3.5 forks for Five Guys but I am surprised they didn't like the fries. The cajun fries are definitely my number one fry choice from any restaurant, fast food or not. Honestly I would rate the burger as alright but it's still worth a visit just for that greasy paper cup of hot-out-of-the-fryer fries.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Mitch thinks everything is pie.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
It's funny you bring that up because there is actually a show on Netflix where Mike "The Spoonman" Mitchell talks about fast food. It's called "The Birthday Boys" and it's the episode about Freshy's.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
"It's pronounced 'Cheetos'."

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Wow 🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Oh, drat:

https://twitter.com/jeffersondutton/status/709629374102786048

https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/709630644180164608

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Hahahahaha Mitch's sad last-ditch-effort to have the Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich enter the competition

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Here's the "Gungan Style" video Wiger mentioned. Very much worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2df6x2YEeu8

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Pretty sure Netflix already made that show with Kevin Spacey anyway. I haven't seen it, myself, but I assume that's what it's about.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

Zsinjeh posted:

This isn't them asking by the way, but just me: Please don't call Nick youknowwhat or Mitch dumb to their faces (or at all imo, it's their in-jokes from years of friendship, not for strangers on twitter) :cripes:

https://twitter.com/twittels/status/319930353492041728?lang=en

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

Mr. Squishy posted:

This week's With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus is the 'boys hosting their smash hit podcast The Force Awakens Minute.

This was really good

Work Friend Keven posted:

Shout out to me, Keven, for my great question on the live ep.

This was really bad

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm more hype for the inevitable Rockdoughber 2 just to see how baby proof Dustin can make the studio so Mitch doesn't attempt suicide.

They already got rid of the tall chairs, so he can't jump off of them.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
real brave of Wiges to drop that admission days before going on tour, with Gabrus, doing a show that always ends in a Q&A.

I predict that every single show will have someone asking about Nick's Dick.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

The Narrator posted:

Introduce the Winter Doughlympics-Susser Games 2018 next year.

They haven't done a Sweet Treats battle yet, have they?

Milkshake battle!

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Mods, please change the thread title to "Doughboys with Mitchy Two-spoons and Hick Wiger"

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
I sometimes skip the Q&A on live episodes but I’m so glad I listened to the end of the Clusterfest (Mel’s Drive-In) ep. That guy fully thought they were Dan Harmon and Justin Rolland, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

cams posted:

give me a range plz

like, gonna assume he makes over minimum wage for a full time job in california, so over 22880

but definitely less than 50 thousand a year, right?

I didn't see it but someone said it was humiliatingly low