Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This is such a fun show, (especially if you are a food-obsessed lardass with questionable dignity.) Wiger and Mitchell have a great, snippy rapport, and people talking about guilty pleasures with unbridled earnestness and candor is almost always an enjoyable listen. I loved Spoonman's increasing hatred of the Rockdoughberfest concept with each subsequent episode and the way he kept retroactively downgrading his previous reviews. I do hope was playing up his fatigue with the concept of the show itself, though.

This week they're taking on one of the big boys: Burger King. I've got hella opinions about BK myself (I still like a regular Whopper but otherwise they've gone fully off the rails since ownership changed hands in 2010 and dropping Crispin Porter + Bogusky as their ad firm hasn't helped; also what the gently caress is with their recent offerings like the "Extra Long Cheeseburger" and the "Yumbo") so I'm eager to hear what the Doughboys have to say about them.

anotherone posted:

I maintain a tumblr to keep track of the ratings and some of the other awards, check it out if you're interested: http://goldenplate.club/

Glory be, this is handy. Plus you included their photos! Good work, I give it 5 forks.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Should I eat taco bell????

I find it handy to remember this little rhyme: Taco Bell, Good as Hell

(If you listen to Wiger, you should eat at Del Taco, which is some fuckin' West Coast elitism if I've ever heard it. It's been creeping eastward but my "closest" location is Atlanta, which is still nearly 6 miserable hours away.)

Mr. Squishy posted:

My fave memory of this pod is the TGI Firdays one where, around 50 minutes in, Mitch's opening to his review of the restaurant and Friday the day forces like a minute-long laughbreak.

"Friday was pizza night...Urkel...TGIF...all these things I loved as a kid. And now, here's this restaurant..."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Great episode, though I wish they had touched on the "Exotics" menu that Fuddruckers offers (Bison, boar and elk burgers.)

I was ready to join their Sad Loners at Fuddrucker's club myself and go this weekend, but it looks like the location near me fell victim to the effects of the 2008 recession Wiger mentioned in his intro. There's only two left in my state now and they're both 3 hours away. Doughboys built my hopes up and reality dashed them once again.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mennoknight posted:

I almost always side with the burger boy but he is just plain wrong. You can turn a blizzard upside down. You can't do that poo poo with a milkshake!!!!

I always want to side with Burger Boy but...between this, his proclamation that he likes BK's "Extra Long Cheeseburger," his indifference to Thanksgiving, and his preference of Cheese-Nips over Cheez-Its (Fuckin'....what,) I think I'm fully a member of Spoon Nation.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

djnkro posted:

This, and lets not forget the bullshit he tried pulling on Mt Frymore. chili fries? Really??

Totally Spoon Nation.

Chili Fries, I won't argue with, but...pho over ramen?

gently caress the Burger Boy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Wiger wins me over by pronouncing "Reese's" correctly...and then immediately goes on a two minute, fundamentally wrongheaded rant about how eggnog is bad.

Tsk tsk, Burger Boy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Speaking of, boy was Episode VII a letdown, from a Constable Zuvio standpoint.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I am going to go ahead and guess that Mike Mitchell doesn't think Krispy Kreme is as "guud" as Dunkin' Donuts because he's from Boston and also wrong.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Gotta agree with Mitch on todays ep - love to get a good pupcorn at a game, and if I'm a little hungrier it's great to have a nice hutdug.

https://twitter.com/jongabrus/status/665027866439102464

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tacier posted:

Wiger's sound drops and Spoonman's counter-drop today had me laughing so drat hard.

This escalation is amazing. I know they can't keep it up forever, but man is it enjoyable.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mennoknight posted:

The first episode stunk. Does it get better quick?

I think Nick and Mitch find their voices and settle into an engaging, combative back-and-forth pretty quickly, and they and the guests share pretty fun personal stories. That said, if you don't enjoy people super earnestly talking about fast/casual dining then you may want to ditch it. There's a reason that pretty much every episode is at least 90 minutes long. These people are genuinely invested in whatever bad food they're tackling that week.

If you want to experience a capsule version of the show, maybe try jumping ahead to the Rockdoughberfest episodes. In just four episodes you'll get a solid window into the show's dynamics, the hosts' chemistry and a foreshortened version of the Spoonman's gradual disillusionment with the very conceit of the podcast.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

MennoKnight is talkin bout Love.

Well, the advice still stands.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

anotherone posted:

It's funny you bring that up because there is actually a show on Netflix where Mike "The Spoonman" Mitchell talks about fast food. It's called "The Birthday Boys" and it's the episode about Freshy's.

How do you Freshy's?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DangerDummy! posted:

I know people from Massachusetts, and I've never heard them hit their o words like that.

Mike Mitchell: Secret Canadian?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Today's play-in minisode for the 6th seed was a great, silly installment with a wildly unexpected outcome.

Also Spoonman's continued insistence that Five Guys demands too much of the customer is ridiculous. You can always just ask for it "All the Way" - mayo, mustard, ketchup, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, grilled onions and mushrooms. There, that is their "signature" burger that you don't have to think about.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://twitter.com/nickwiger/status/708521625738608640

Doughboys is a great show about two friends who hate each other.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Is nothing sacred

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

djnkro posted:

I will not weigh in on the final results of the tournament, as it is not my place.

I will. Who died and made Susser God of Doughboys? Wiger said Fatburger wouldn't have made the tournament because it's "LA Regional," but it at least has 150+ locations worldwide. Shake Shack only has 66 locations, and half of those are either in NYC or the Middle East.

gently caress Susser, gently caress In-N-Out, gently caress Shake Shack. This tournament turned into a travesty. The Sonic the Hedgehog movie is going to suck.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I'm loving the show's gradual descent into becoming "Mike Mitchell's No-Spin Zone."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Calling Mitch "Racist Wario" right off the bat last week let me know it was going to be an exceptionally good ep.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Mitch spends the first 20 mins talking about cradling kittens in his hands yet no Lenny from Of Mice and Men jokes from Wiger. "What the FOCK?"

https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/735902559538405378

How could you say no, really

https://twitter.com/nickwiger/status/736010136947302400

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Two weeks behind but where did Wiger pull this "The Ace is the Rasputin, the Hand of the King" playing card headcanon bullshit from?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ManoliIsFat posted:

I wish Mitch would go somewhere with the cuck bit he gets so drat aggressive with it.

Mitch's reliance on that bit is the same reason we have a word filter on these very forums for it, it goes from "HaHA, zinged" to "ugh still with this huh" pretty quick.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
In 'n Out's fries are really that bad, huh

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Poopy Palpy posted:

We think arugula is a fancy lettuce here.

In 2008 Barack Obama ordered something with arugula during one of those "candidate makes a folksy stop at a local restaurant to meet the people" appearances and the GOP tried to spin it as "This frou-frou elitist eats weird poo poo you've never heard of!"

Ours is a very stupid country.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://twitter.com/nickwiger/status/755404514040033280

Doughboys on Twitter: The antagonism never stops.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Comedy people seem to unironically love LightsCamersonJackson, for some completely inexplicable reason. Maybe his wide-eyed naivete reminds them of their optimistic younger days thinking about making it in Hollywood.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"So wait, the overall event is called the 'Doughlympics Susser Games,' but within that, there is an event called 'The Susser Games.'"
"Yes."
"YOU HAVE RUINED THIS PODCAST!"

As the spiritual successor to Much Madness: Tournament of Chompions, I think the Doughlympics Susser Games are doing a great job of carrying on its legacy of making the hosts hate their own show and everything about it. Looking forward to tomorrow's after show and hearing Burger Boy take some shots at Susser for the Frozen Face-Off. I also loved the extended tangent about Cloud Atlas in the middle of the actual restaurant discussion.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/776222387591192576

Welcome to Doughboys, the podcast that is now exclusively about Mario Kart

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Armen is great and the Armen episode was great.

"Armen, I've been told to ask you: Our friend Harris was not a fan of In 'n Out - True?"
"Well...he was a real piece of poo poo."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Per The Hollywood Reporter, following his exit from Fox and the drama over the direction of Deadpool 2, Tim Miller has moved to Sony where he is now exec producer on a live action/animated Sonic the Hedgehog movie. The script is coming from...Golan the Insatiable creators Patrick Casey and Josh Miller, NOT Yogurtland reviewer Van Robichaux and Commissioner Evan Susser.

This is karmic retribution for the travesty that was the Doughlympic Susser Games.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
A food podcast that doesn't release some kind of special ep - at worst, a best-of ep - on the most food-centric holiday...a shameful podcast.

Though, honestly, I'm just worried that taking one week off will give Spoonman the motivation he needs to say "gently caress this show" and end it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I'm like 15 minutes in and this is hilarious but already confirms my suspicion that Evan Susser is, in fact, The Devil and actively working to tear the Doughboys apart.

EDIT: Can you transfer us to Biglari

Have you met Biglari

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 19, 2016

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Jesus, it's BIGLARI? All this time I thought Lawry's, the company that makes that cheap but delicious seasoning AND owns an upscale Beverly Hills restaurant, owned Steak n' Shake and that it's founder went by the name Big Lawry.

"That's a rough 39."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I'm not listening to the Bug Man episode, and I've never listened to the Armen episode.

The Armen episode is great, Armen's great.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

One of my favorite doughboy things is Mitch being the tough guy who instantly drops out of the bit and gets mad if you call him anything

"I wanna talk about the ad, people said they cut out the stutters, I didn't stutter!"
[ten minutes pass]
"Oh, and I CAN READ"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

little munchkin posted:

my favorite part of the doughlympics was when Susser forgot to heat up a bunch of frozen convenience store food for his segment, so the hosts had to stall for five minutes while he microwaved them, then he came back but everything was still cold

My favorite was Susser thinking "three men counting the number of fries in a bag out loud, simultaneously, would make for great podcast listening."

I mean, it turned out it was, but only because Mitch started shouting "ONE! TWO!" while Wiger laughed for like 20 seconds solid.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Help Im Alive posted:

How likely is it that the $1,450 they currently have on patreon is more money than they've made from the podcast since it started

I dunno, they did sell a lot of shirts.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Last year, we were deciding which burger we would send to the aliens, the first offering of the human race..."
"So this year, should we send it to...the Devil?"

What the gently caress, Mitch, what was that thought process? I had to rewind it to see if I'd missed something.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Its going to make it all the way to the finals before losing to the In n' Out Double Double hamburger.

Bacon Double Del from Del Taco, what are the odds

(Recently found out there's a very rare "outer market" Del Taco like 5 hours from me. Considering making the trip.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Elected on the "A hutdug in every pot, and pupcorn in every other pot" platform