Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

flakeloaf posted:

so is it a "we need all the allies we can get and he made a good contribution once so rispek" or "we don't see a problem here"

I assure you ESR has made no contribution of any value.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
my assumption was it's a "just don't make eye contact or talk to him and maybe he'll go away" deal

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
imo we don't need 2 "[Ff]eminists are" threads

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Hammerite posted:

don't make eye contact

lol good luck with that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Management posted:

if there was anyone respectable in the open source community they would be standing up right now and publicly calling Raymond a piece of poo poo
Matthew Garrett has got your back.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

esr looks like a club-footed wax dwarf that got left on a radiator

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tron guy and esr make me want to find a different industry

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

well, technically neither of them are in your industry

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol

but i mean like... if that's the kind of hosed up brain it takes to be good at programming..... No Thank You

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
someone post the pic of ESR about to cut a wide sexual swathe in a hotel room. You know the one I mean.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so this is what it took. welcome back

i'd post the pic but esr is Not Work Safe

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

lol

but i mean like... if that's the kind of hosed up brain it takes to be good at programming..... No Thank You

don't worry, neither of them are good at programming

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pseudorandom name posted:

this is not calling him out for being a piece of poo poo human being. this is trying to sidestep the issue by pointing out that he's bad at coding. the point is condemning the behavior to make it clear that it's unacceptable in the community, which he fails to do

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
lol so many young white men angry over not being likable or respectable

first gamers, now looniks

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

The Management posted:

this is not calling him out for being a piece of poo poo human being. this is trying to sidestep the issue by pointing out that he's bad at coding. the point is condemning the behavior to make it clear that it's unacceptable in the community, which he fails to do

what's even the problem with the article referenced in the tweet? skimming it, its basically the most innocuous thing esr has ever written.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Hammerite posted:

what's even the problem with the article referenced in the tweet? skimming it, its basically the most innocuous thing esr has ever written.

idk I'm trying to click on the link but it's not working

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

oh yeah i forgot that marvin the martian guy whos tweets i view and who i literally first heard about this from is an actual linux computerman

anyway the management is this better

still waiting for shadowhawk to weigh in tho

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rotor posted:

someone post the pic of ESR about to cut a wide sexual swathe in a hotel room. You know the one I mean.

https://youtu.be/Jy3DsyvhrSQ

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Hammerite posted:

999 out of 1000 times someone blames a compiler, it's not the compiler. Even when it's a 'heisenbug' that disappears when examined, it's virtually guaranteed to not be the compiler. ESR was right one time and generalized way too broadly in his advice. It's not "bad at software" or whatever that tweet says, just lovely advice.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

he wasn't actually right that time, he just refused to update that blog post when somebody competent explained to him how he was wrong

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
im not competent to evaluate the factual accuracy of what he says in that article. im just saying why would you link that article of him being all "blurf blurf compilers" when he has written other stuff about how black people disgust him and are stupid and make him uncomfortable.,

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Hammerite posted:

im not competent to evaluate the factual accuracy of what he says in that article. im just saying why would you link that article of him being all "blurf blurf compilers" when he has written other stuff about how black people disgust him and are stupid and make him uncomfortable.,

I guess you need to speak the same bleep bloop nerdy language that nerds speak

because those enlightened intellectuals are already vaccinated against your evil SJW rhetorics :rolleyes:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hammerite posted:

that's the whole problem here. when presented with a bigot misogynist rear end in a top hat like esr, they claim that what he says isn't important because he's a bad coder instead of saying that he's a piece of poo poo and that kind of speech is unacceptable in the community, no matter what his skills are.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
spergs don't understand the concept of someone being an rear end in a top hat, they can only understand the concept that someone is a bad coder.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I.e., spergs either don't understand the problem that the open source community has a terrible culture or they secretly agree with him.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dr. Honked posted:

spergs don't understand the concept of someone being an rear end in a top hat, they can only understand the concept that someone is a bad coder.

actually they consider being an rear end in a top hat to be a positive and encourage it on mailing lists. see all the fawning over linus email where he's being a dick. they don't understand why it's a problem because they can't identify with others' feelings

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

With his dotcom millions ESR should hire someone to filter all the dumb poo poo he says and blogs. "that's dumb, that's racist, that's homophobic, that's truther, truther again, that's dumb, that's 10000 words of fanfic threesomes involving yourself, wayne lapierre, charlton heston and a double gauge shotgun with a larp dragon dildo attachment, that's an american history x reenactment" etc etc. It's clear this guy doesn't know the damage he does to himself by being so open.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

The Management posted:

actually they consider being an rear end in a top hat to be a positive and encourage it on mailing lists. see all the fawning over linus email where he's being a dick. they don't understand why it's a problem because they can't identify with others' feelings

i'm glad that i don't fully understand The Sperg

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

The Management posted:

the alternative is fawning over some milquetoast twitter personality lecturing linus on how to tone down his language to the point where terrible commits are rewarded with an 'every participant gets an award' approach. instead of keeping people vigilant of code smells, you're instead wanting to make the linux community a safe space filled with puppies, play doh and poo poo code.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wish i was deranged enough to think women would want to have sex with me, even if it was to destroy me

:smith:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

homercles posted:

the alternative is fawning over some milquetoast twitter personality lecturing linus on how to tone down his language to the point where terrible commits are rewarded with an 'every participant gets an award' approach. instead of keeping people vigilant of code smells, you're instead wanting to make the linux community a safe space filled with puppies, play doh and poo poo code.

lmao if you think code quality and rear end in a top hat behavior are related. you can easily reject a patch on technical merits without being a dick about it. I see this every day from professional organizations that operate constructively.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The Management posted:

lmao if you think code quality and rear end in a top hat behavior are related. you can easily reject a patch on technical merits without being a dick about it. I see this every day from professional organizations that operate constructively.

exactly. if you acted like this

at a reputable company you would be spoken to about the importance of being civil and maintaining a professional, courteous workplace

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

Yeah, in professional environments they wouldn't call sometime out in public, they'd just quietly reassign them to a project where they don't get in the way. Like maintaining the very important jargon file.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

exactly. if you acted like this

at a reputable company you would be spoken to about the importance of being civil and maintaining a professional, courteous workplace

reputable companies don't use Linux or other hobbyist software.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shaggar posted:

reputable companies don't use Linux or other hobbyist software.

:rolleyes: yes exactly, that post is about the specific linux topic he's bitching about and not the language he's using. incidentally Bill Gates and Balmer are also known for overly aggressive grilling of employees and use of abusive language, and Microsoft is well known for having a toxic culture

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Broken Machine posted:

:rolleyes: yes exactly, that post is about the specific linux topic he's bitching about and not the language he's using. incidentally Bill Gates and Balmer are also known for overly aggressive grilling of employees and use of abusive language, and Microsoft is well known for having a toxic culture

Also apple

Also Amazon

Also Google

Probably tesla/paypal/spacex too

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

P much all the big Bay Aryan / Seattle companies

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010