Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if there was anyone respectable in the open source community they would be standing up right now and publicly calling Raymond a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

flakeloaf posted:

so is it a "we need all the allies we can get and he made a good contribution once so rispek" or "we don't see a problem here"

I assure you ESR has made no contribution of any value.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pseudorandom name posted:

Matthew Garrett has got your back.

this is not calling him out for being a piece of poo poo human being. this is trying to sidestep the issue by pointing out that he's bad at coding. the point is condemning the behavior to make it clear that it's unacceptable in the community, which he fails to do

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hammerite posted:

im not competent to evaluate the factual accuracy of what he says in that article. im just saying why would you link that article of him being all "blurf blurf compilers" when he has written other stuff about how black people disgust him and are stupid and make him uncomfortable.,

that's the whole problem here. when presented with a bigot misogynist rear end in a top hat like esr, they claim that what he says isn't important because he's a bad coder instead of saying that he's a piece of poo poo and that kind of speech is unacceptable in the community, no matter what his skills are.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I.e., spergs either don't understand the problem that the open source community has a terrible culture or they secretly agree with him.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dr. Honked posted:

spergs don't understand the concept of someone being an rear end in a top hat, they can only understand the concept that someone is a bad coder.

actually they consider being an rear end in a top hat to be a positive and encourage it on mailing lists. see all the fawning over linus email where he's being a dick. they don't understand why it's a problem because they can't identify with others' feelings

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

homercles posted:

the alternative is fawning over some milquetoast twitter personality lecturing linus on how to tone down his language to the point where terrible commits are rewarded with an 'every participant gets an award' approach. instead of keeping people vigilant of code smells, you're instead wanting to make the linux community a safe space filled with puppies, play doh and poo poo code.

lmao if you think code quality and rear end in a top hat behavior are related. you can easily reject a patch on technical merits without being a dick about it. I see this every day from professional organizations that operate constructively.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sometimes someone in my company will do something dumb and I write an email telling them what a stupid loving moron they are and get a boner that I'm the alpha nerd and then I delete that email and write that they should consider this issue and a better approach would be this and that and they agree or argue or whatever but we get along and the code gets better and not worse.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

it makes sense even for the sociopathic in that it lubricates social interaction so as to more easily obtain one's objective

but it's so empowering to nerds who were bullied all their life to bully others with their massive brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oh noes, my sperms has been stoled!!!1

• Locked thread