Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

You should do meal no.4 first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Also I'm going to definitely post a picture of the 2008-2010 MRE omelette I had the misfortune of eating in 2015. It was still edible, surprisingly, but definitely didn't look like it. The best way to describe it was "Solidified rectangle of off-white paste."

Yeah, thats just what it looks like. It tastes like regret.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Military rations don't deserve his fine china

Some of the pouches have intricate instructions like "lean on a rock, or something".

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I can only assume "or something" was added so that some soldiers wouldn't go like "gently caress no rocks around, only logs, and I'm starving, I'm so screwed"

That was the running joke when we did our field ops.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

What we have here is technical writing for the lowest common denominator.
I used to do some of that for the government, but never that low.

Wow. Or something

The airplane I used to work on had a couple huge electric motors, including this 84hp beast that was used to real in literal tons of wire. The instructions on removing it and replacing it included a line that said "Make sure its turned off and the circuit breakers are tagged." at least 4 or so times.

It had 6 lug nuts each one with 124vac sitting on it if you didn't have it tagged.

The best MAF I ever saw was forwarded by a pilot while we were deployed and it simply stated "Radio inoperable at On Full Force". =(

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Force de Fappe posted:

The hot sauce adds morale, as does the candy. Like a shred of tangible evidence that you once were a civilized human being who stood erect and wore clean clothes.

I think towards the end of my last deployment hot sauce was traded with more than cans of dip. A full bottle of Texas Pete could buy you endless favors of any nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Siivola posted:

So one day's ration is mostly meat with crackers? It's almost as if you're supposed to loot some poor gently caress's potato cellar to make a full meal. :smith:

The era in which these where designed; there where no old soldiers.

• Locked thread