Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Niwrad posted:

Crazy 08 is a really good book about the 1908 season (which had some crazy poo poo take place). It also covers a lot of the early history of baseball which I don't think many people know about. It's a real easy read too.

I read this a long time ago, but I remember it being a fantastic book, especially since I didn't know much about how baseball was played in the early 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The first chapter is a riot. I also like that his stance on little people was somewhat progressive for the time. He's not above laughing at his small stature (the 1/8 jersey number), but at the end of the chapter, he starts to argue that MLB is discriminating against having midgets play baseball.

The introduction by Bob Verdi in my copy is a waxes nostalgic. "Bill just couldn't cope with the new math; sports has become increasingly corporate." Isn't this the same refrain we have heard from a number of aging sportswriters? I wonder if it's just a sign of someone's age that this is something to complain about?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It was a different time. I just read the story of how he was trying to help get the guy with a 14-year old bride out of facing jail time by admitting that it wasn't his gun, and how the guy kept figuratively shooting himself in the foot. His ultimate punishment? To get out of town.

If it wasn't already apparently, Veeck is a good storyteller. This book conveys that well.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

This book is long. Is anyone else still reading?

I just finished a few chapters. Some interesting things:

- He mentions how football is a college man's game, whereas baseball is a workingman's game. He also mentions how all American sports will be competing with soccer soon, which I guess is something people have been saying for 50 years now.
- He complains about there being no "colorful, bigger-than-life character" in sports. I guess Ali was still a few years from appearing.
- He mentions how there is such a small segment of people who come "to watch the geometric pattern of the game unfold in all its beautiful precision and balance". Whereas the average fan is only there to watch the home team win.
- "In 1948, we had an unbelievable high ratio of women customers. In fact, if you add the number of women who came in on Ladies' Day and the kids' groups and the special nights, our attendance that year was close to 4,000,000" (127). I have no reason to doubt Veeck, but B-R has the attendance at 2.6mil that season. Could these other customers really account for another 1-1.5mil?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I just came across my favourite paragraph in the whole book (so far):

p. 265 posted:

When the Yankees did come up with a promotion, it was invariably tasteless and embarrassing. Two of their greatest promotions were their public farewells to their two dying giants, Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth. I'll take my midgets and my circuses. Necromancy has never been to my taste.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

I did. That and this and Moneyball and The Book are what I've read so far, and every single one of them is a story of owners, et al., being as dumb as is possible. Even Veeck is on the wrong side of the blackout question, IMO.

Y'know, I kind of understand why owners would be hesitant at first to let their games be broadcast. Am I misremembering, or didn't it take a while for real money to start pouring in for TV rights? Also, in Veeck's position, I believe he mentioned that he was clearly the "second" team in St. Louis, and how difficult it was to earn the money that the Cardinals were making. He also had the worst radio deal, in that it was tied to where the team finished in their division.

But yes, he was on the wrong side.

I was surprised by how quickly they moved the Boston Braves to their new location in Milwaukee. Three weeks seems awfully quick (which is funny, because Veeck points out how the same objections that AL owners raised in his attempt at moving the Browns to either Milwaukee or Baltimore were not raised in this instance).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I assume this has already died. I got my book in mid-November, and I finished it a week ago.

Final thoughts? The final 100 pages are a slog. However, I did learn that Veeck is the man who both sent a little person up to bat, as well as the man in charge of running the Disco Demolition night. I also liked the afterword, which gave the reader a nice summary of Veeck's last 20 or so years.

This has now become one of my favourite baseball books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I liked all of those stories, because this book really felt like having an oral conversation with Veeck, rather than reading about his stories in text.

• Locked thread