Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next NFC Team of the Week
This poll is closed.
Bears 5 5.10%
Packers 6 6.12%
Vikings 13 13.27%
Giants 4 4.08%
Eagles 10 10.20%
Cowboys 7 7.14%
Redskins 6 6.12%
Saints 5 5.10%
Panthers 5 5.10%
Bucs 4 4.08%
Falcons 1 1.02%
Cardinals 3 3.06%
Seahawks 2 2.04%
49ers 18 18.37%
Rams 9 9.18%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This is real quick and dirty because I'm at work and don't have a ton of time. I'll put more later.

In the past week the Detroit Lions have now fired their Offensive Coordinator, General Manager and their President.

Success is sure to follow!

Jim Caldwell remains as the steady hand on the wheel in the motor city.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Go Lions.
Also joke's on you, we're on a bye this week so that means we get to be team of the week next week too :shepface:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Stafford and megatron could both be gone next year.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

FizFashizzle posted:

Megatron deserves to go somewhere he can be happy.

Stafford should just retire on his pile of money.

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Will.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Look into his eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

currently reading the LIONS BITCH thread in archives and weeping

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

I wonder if they got any offers for Calvin this year, someone in the N/V thread floated Panthers 1st for him which I would have been OK with. Especially since we're approaching a full-on rebuild. Again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What coach is gonna want to draft Goff or hackenburg?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I wonder if they got any offers for Calvin this year, someone in the N/V thread floated Panthers 1st for him which I would have been OK with. Especially since we're approaching a full-on rebuild. Again.

Probably going to come out some dumb team offered 2 firsts for Megatron but we turned it down because we're trying to win ball games or some dumb poo poo. Wherever he winds up will instantly become my favorite team for the decade it will take the Lions to rebuild a team capable of winning 2-3 games per season.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Am I reading it correctly that Johnson only has 4 million in bonus proration left when we get to next year?

Because uh yeah, someone could move him, especially if it's a trade and extend.

Surely the lions wouldn't cut him.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
I really don't see Stafford going. You could do a hell of a lot worse than him and you could actually win with him if not weighed down by Caldwell/Lombardi. Then again, I'm a first-team All-Stafford Apologist.

e: He'll only be 28 at the start of next year too.

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 5, 2015

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Lions haven't drafted a Pro-Bowl player in the past 5 drafts. No player they drafted in 2010-2011 is on their roster today.

This team went 11–5 last year.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dattserberg posted:

I really don't see Stafford going. You could do a hell of a lot worse than him and you could actually win with him if not weighed down by Caldwell/Lombardi. Then again, I'm a first-team All-Stafford Apologist.

Plus, I don't know the exact numbers, but wouldn't him going saddle Detroit with a BUNCH of dead money too?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't think Stafford should be off the team after this season but he's also not the long-term answer. Let him soak up a couple more seasons of hits while a new guys rides the pine and we can maybe build a passable team around him (lol)

fsif posted:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Lions haven't drafted a Pro-Bowl player in the past 5 drafts. No player they drafted in 2010-2011 is on their roster today.

This team went 11–5 last year.

Ouch. I think the "no dudes from 10-11" is more damming though, but I'll bet some of that is from the old rookie contract scale which really hurt Detroit for a long time.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Dattserberg posted:

I agree with your points, but new GM, new Pres, new Coach. I find it hard to believe they'd want to keep him. It's probably in everyone's best interest to try to trade him.

11 million in dead money from a 22 million cap hit, so save 11 lose 11. His signing bonus proration is 5.5 per year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

Ouch. I think the "no dudes from 10-11" is more damming though, but I'll bet some of that is from the old rookie contract scale which really hurt Detroit for a long time.

I wonder what this looks like for most teams? The Chiefs only have 2 guys left from those draft classes.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ian Rappoport says that Stafford's future is “very much in doubt.”

He's under contract for a few more years. I would have to think he fetches a first-rounder still, right? Staff2Nuk?

Nov 6, 2002

Eh, I could see the Lions keeping him because he's still better than half the guys in the league and they're gonna need all the draft picks they can in the next two years.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Calvin will retire, and if that doesn't break the will of the last Lions fans left, nothing can

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Freep says that Bill Jr will not be taking an active role in the team but his sister Sheila will.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

C-Euro posted:

Having three top of the draft contracts didn't hurt their ability to draft guys in later rounds, but their inability to draft in rounds 2-7 made it really hard to add talent to the team in free agency because of those contracts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

looking forward to megatron catching 30 passes from peyton manning's shriveled remains next year

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Zero One posted:

Freep says that Bill Jr will not be taking an active role in the team but his sister Sheila will.

For fucks sake.

howe_sam posted:

Having three top of the draft contracts didn't hurt their ability to draft guys in later rounds, but their inability to draft in rounds 2-7 made it really hard to add talent to the team in free agency because of those contracts.

Look at the 2nd round picks going back to the Millen era. It has got to be the worst in the NFL by a wide margin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

howe_sam posted:

Yeah that's more of what I meant, when you have so much of your salary cap locked up in a small number of players, signing worthwhile FAs becomes that much more difficult.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If they cut CJ the season after burning down the FO and getting nothing at the trade deadline then....whelp.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Yeah that's more of what I meant, when you have so much of your salary cap locked up in a small number of players, signing worthwhile FAs becomes that much more difficult.

Who would want to sign there

You've officially had two of the historically worst seasons ever, in addition to wasting Barry Sanders' career and at least Calvin Johnson's prime (let's be honest: it's his career)

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

FizFashizzle posted:

If they cut CJ the season after burning down the FO and getting nothing at the trade deadline then....whelp.

He should have been traded to the Panthers

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

2nd round picks from 2005-2015:
Shaun Cody
Daniel Bullocks
Drew Stanton
Ikaiki Alama-Francis
Gerald Alexander
Jordon Dizon
Louis Delmas
Titus Young
Ryan Broyles
Darius Slay
Kyle Van Noy
Ameer Abdullah

That is quite the garbage heap

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
how quickly we forget the saga of titus young

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

C-Euro posted:

Now you have me curious about retention rates. The Bears dont have any players left from 09-11, and I am willing to bet teams like the Bucs and Jags are in a similar boat.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Oh, wow. Martha Ford is nowhere near as patient as her late husband.

Thankfully.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dattserberg posted:

Shaun Cody
Daniel Bullocks
Drew Stanton
Ikaiki Alama-Francis
Gerald Alexander
Jordon Dizon
Louis Delmas
Titus Young
Ryan Broyles
Darius Slay
Kyle Van Noy
Ameer Abdullah

Forgot Mikel Leshoure. Depressing list otherwise, I remember being really excited about a number of these guys.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Titus Young is currently in rehab for a year and was put on five year's probation. I was expecting worse

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I'm guessing Brian Xanders takes over for the rest of the year. He was associated with the McDaniels drafts in Denver.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dattserberg posted:

Shaun Cody
Daniel Bullocks
Drew Stanton
Ikaiki Alama-Francis
Gerald Alexander
Jordon Dizon
Louis Delmas
Titus Young
Ryan Broyles
Darius Slay
Kyle Van Noy
Ameer Abdullah

Ameer Abdullah owns, the Lions suck.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Honestly, Mayhew wasn't a terrible GM. His drafts were weak but his free agency moves and trades were alright. He'll make a good Director of Pro Personnel somewhere.

Tom Lewand botched the Suh contract and did nothing to show that he belonged in football at all. This is exciting --- the Bears forgot to fire their lovely president last year, but the Lions have done it! :)

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

I'm not too familiar with the NFC North. If the Lions part ways with Stafford and CJ, do they have any bright spots at all? I'm trying to think of reasons why fans would want to keep watching this.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AndItsAllGone posted:

I'm not too familiar with the NFC North. If the Lions part ways with Stafford and CJ, do they have any bright spots at all? I'm trying to think of reasons why fans would want to keep watching this.

They aren't watching now, dude.

"Blow it up and start over" is basically all they can do to reverse the slide. Their defense isn't poo poo, they need to build a competent offense. If ownership wants Stafford gone, then that's probably going to happen. They might want to keep CJ, but honestly, it's smarter to trade him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Ziggy Ansah is finally coming into his own as a DE.

• Locked thread