Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next NFC Team of the Week
This poll is closed.
Bears 5 5.10%
Packers 6 6.12%
Vikings 13 13.27%
Giants 4 4.08%
Eagles 10 10.20%
Cowboys 7 7.14%
Redskins 6 6.12%
Saints 5 5.10%
Panthers 5 5.10%
Bucs 4 4.08%
Falcons 1 1.02%
Cardinals 3 3.06%
Seahawks 2 2.04%
49ers 18 18.37%
Rams 9 9.18%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

AndItsAllGone posted:

I'm not too familiar with the NFC North. If the Lions part ways with Stafford and CJ, do they have any bright spots at all? I'm trying to think of reasons why fans would want to keep watching this.

uhhh

hmmm

well

uhhh

...Golden Tate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AndItsAllGone posted:

I'm not too familiar with the NFC North. If the Lions part ways with Stafford and CJ, do they have any bright spots at all? I'm trying to think of reasons why fans would want to keep watching this.

Lions fans have acknowledged they can't win with Stafford, and they like CJ enough to want to see him win which they acknowledge won't happen there

At least having no reason to watch is better than reasons that just keep making you sad because you know how it'll end anyway

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

That makes sense. I suppose some optimism can come from the prospect of a tabula rasa. I hope CJ can find some success elsewhere.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Stafford is a known commodity at this point and I doubt he's something a high profile coach would want to deal with. I mean yeah you could bring in Mike Shula I guess.

Stafford needs to be somewhere with a good running game and defense where he can just manage the offense for a while. He's shot between the ears.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Chilichimp posted:

Ameer Abdullah owns, the Lions suck.

Agreed on both counts. I just wish he wouldn't fumble so much.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Stafford is a known commodity at this point and I doubt he's something a high profile coach would want to deal with. I mean yeah you could bring in Mike Shula I guess.

Stafford needs to be somewhere with a good running game and defense where he can just manage the offense for a while. He's shot between the ears.

KC

KAY CEEEEEEEEEEE

Gone are the days of the lovely short pass woes of Alex Smith. Hark, lo doth Jeremy Maclin catcheth the longest of bombs.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I really hope they don't dip into the Belichick well for the next guy. :ohdear:

The hope has always been that Stafford would have a Flacco/Eli-style epiphany and just go off for a stretch. Hasn't happened since 2011, though.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Chilichimp posted:

KC

KAY CEEEEEEEEEEE

Gone are the days of the lovely short pass woes of Alex Smith. Hark, lo doth Jeremy Maclin catcheth the longest of bombs.

Unfortunately if he's not throwing to Megatron his deep ball is terrible. Megatron just makes it work by being one of the best deep threats since Randy Moss.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Scipiotik posted:

Unfortunately if he's not throwing to Megatron his deep ball is terrible. Megatron just makes it work by being one of the best deep threats since Randy Moss.

Maclin will still catch infinitely more long bombs than he does now.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Matt Stafford will still end up somewhere as a starter.

Not a good one mind you, but he will end up someplace. I was surprised when Mark Sanchez wasn't picked up by a team to start with Quarterback issues but anything can happen! (its been awhile but I think Matt Stafford is probably better than Mark Sanchez)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

Matt Stafford will still end up somewhere as a starter.

Not a good one mind you, but he will end up someplace. I was surprised when Mark Sanchez wasn't picked up by a team to start with Quarterback issues but anything can happen! (its been awhile but I think Matt Stafford is probably better than Mark Sanchez)

Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez aren't even in the same league.

They're about as similar as a little Derringer hold-out and a 57mm AT gun.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 5, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah Mark Sanchez has actually won playoff games

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

yeah Mark Sanchez has actually won playoff games

Noted 2-time AFC Championship participant, Marcus Alfons Sanchesterfieldson.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The Lions had Stafford, Megatron, and Suh, all in their primes. A year later they're burning everything down and rebuilding from scratch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Noted 2-time AFC Championship participant, Marcus Alfons Sanchesterfieldson.
Thats drat right

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Martha Ford's statement: http://prod.video.lions.clubs.nfl.com//DET/videos/dct/video_audio/2015/11-November/11_05_15_marthafordPresser-500k.mp4

Sheldon White as GM? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_White

edit: :lol:
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Mayhew-Sheldon-White-is-ready-for-a-GM-job/21555326-eb52-428f-a5ec-e004d457aa62

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Listening to Valenti and Foster at work to celebrate.

Foster, who is pretty well connected with the Lions, said that he was never able to confirm it but he heard from a few people that Mayhew would periodically call Millen for advice. :lol:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Please God...

Please Jesus...

Please baby Jesus...

Hire Thomas Dimitroff away from the Falcons. It is my one request for this year.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Knyteguy posted:

Sheldon White as GM?

White was on the Lions' team that won the playoff game against Dallas, already one step ahead of everyone else.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Jim Harbaugh has always wanted to coach the Lions.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Chilichimp posted:

Please God...

Please Jesus...

Please baby Jesus...

Hire Thomas Dimitroff away from the Falcons. It is my one request for this year.

I'm so confused. What team are you a fan of?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Chilichimp posted:

Ameer Abdullah owns, the Lions suck.

He owns when he's not fumbling

unfortunately that's never so actually he loving sucks

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Zero One posted:

Jim Harbaugh has always wanted to coach the Lions.

It won't be Jim, it will probably be John, from what I'm hearing.

Jim isn't leaving Michigan for a long time, if ever.

Nov 6, 2002

Tell me more about that college coach that will never ever ever leave for the NFL.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The final 2008 front office, where are they now?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

NC-17 posted:

Tell me more about that college coach that will never ever ever leave for the NFL.

If he leaves after one year, I'd say the chances of him ever getting another college job post-Lions would be about nil.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

If he leaves after one year, I'd say the chances of him ever getting another college job post-Lions would be about nil.

Todd Graham did this twice for different college jobs, it wouldn't matter at all other than making Michigan fans hate him.

I don't think it'll happen mind you, but if it did he'd get another job if he wanted one.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Lions have a female owner, female CEO, black general manager and black head coach.

I'm not kidding about this; I appreciate their commitment to diversity, especially after the way Millen immediately broke the Rooney Rule when it was implemented. :unsmith:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cruel and Unusual posted:

; I appreciate their commitment to diversity

they're a strong argument against it

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Chilichimp posted:

KC

KAY CEEEEEEEEEEE

I would almost tear up and him coming to KC. He was a 5000-47 QB at one point so he CAN make things happen.

Plzplzplz Andy.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

they're a strong argument against it

You haven't adjusted for the Lions factor. Eleven wins and a playoff game was easily the most successful season in two decades. :smug:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Dubious posted:

how quickly we forget the saga of titus young

Titus Young and Jahvid Best are both perfect examples of how the Lions are cursed

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I know it's all a what-if game, but the Lions traded Seattle the pick they used for Kam Chancellor and swapped the pick that was used for Richard Sherman with them the following year. :sigh:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

We've always been at war with the Lions

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what's Mike Martz up to these days

Nov 6, 2002

Lions lead the league at scoring.. that number 1 draft pick according to ESPN.

quote:

Chance of picking No. 1: 23.5 percent

Remaining schedule:

@Packers
Raiders
Eagles
Packers
@Rams
@Saints
49ers
@Bears

The final stretch of three games looks like there could be some wins there, with the 49ers game probably being pretty critical for determining the top 3 picks.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 10, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Niners and Titans winning last week pretty much locked Detroit into the #1 pick. Even if they beat SF (which looks like the only winnable game left) and SF loses out, Detroit would have two wins to their three. Maybe the bad Eagles show up on Thanksgiving and Detroit plays their asses off and steals a win, but I wouldn't predict anything higher than 3-13.

VV Also this.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 10, 2015

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

If they win the Lambeau game I will be satisfied with this wasted season.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If they lose the Lambeau game but someone uses Rodgers ribcage as a trampoline and he's out for the playoffs I will be satisfied with this wasted season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
If on the way back to the airport from lambeau field where the lions won the firestone tires explode on the lions team bus and it goes careening off a cliff and everyone dies except for Calvin who missed the bus and was taking an Uber I would be satisfied with this wasted season

• Locked thread