Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Any reputable doctor worth their salt won't comment on any injury without examining the patient and their charts/MRIs/X-Rays/etc...Thankfully I'm not a reputable doctor so here we go!

As mentioned, not all knee injuries are the same. It's dependent on the severity of the injury, if there's any collateral damage with the injury (multiple ligaments/fractures/breaks), if there's been previous injuries to that knee, if there's been other injuries to the other knee or lower body that could have caused the knee to take on an extra burden, if it was a non-contact injury, as well as the person being injured themselves.

Adrian Peterseon was mentioned as having a quick recovery, but Petersen had no injury history to his legs (couple of sprains prior to the torn ACL, which is remarkable considering Peterson's position and playing style), had no additional damage to the other ligaments around his knee, and was said to have had a "clean" ACL tear, meaning an easy surgery and a less complicated recovery. In addition, Peterson is considered a freak of an athlete in a sport that's primarily played by freaks of athletes, and that had a significant role in his recovery.

For Rollins, the additional MCL/meniscus tears mean that he'll have a more complicated surgery, possibly more than one, and he'll have a harder rehab than what Peterson had (if anything, Peterson is such an outlier in terms of ACL tears it's almost unfair to compare him to anyone). If he's in the hands of competent officials, he'll stay in Ireland and begin the rehab process now, trying to strengthen the muscles around the knees in preparation for surgery. He won't fly until the swelling has gone down, which may be in about a week. His MRIs will go out, and I'm almost 100% certain you'll hear the name Dr. James Andrews be thrown out somewhere as he's the guy who performs a good chunk of sports-related surgeries. He may operate here, he may not, but if I had the opportunity to get him to look and offer an opinion I almost certainly would.

After the surgery recovery begins. Again, 6-9 months is the typical average, but every injury is different. At 29 and in good/excellent physical condition, Rollins' has a chance to be more aggressive in his rehab than the average patient. At 205 pounds, he'll be putting less weight and therefore stress on his legs than other professional athletes, which is why lower-body injuries are especially devastating for football linemen; Vader was never the same after his knee injury for example. Again, it's situation dependent, and if surgery was particularly rough it'll affect his rehab.

Contact and non-contact affects the type of ligament tear as well. Contact would be like someone diving at your knees and taking it out, it's a sudden tear but if the rest of the structure is sound and the ligament wasn't previously damaged it can mean an easier recovery. Non-contact, like when a player tries to make a movement and the leg gives out, is considered more troubling since it shows that the ligament has been damaged over time and finally gave way, and the surgery/rehab process will be more difficult. It's a rough analogy, but it's like repairing a hole punched in a wall versus one with water damage, both can be fixed but the time and effort isn't going to be the same, and in the case of the latter it's a question of if it can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced.

If I was advising Rollins, I'd tell him to not even consider Wrestlemania. It's on the lower-end of the time spectrum and even if he feels good enough to go he won't be mentally there, and a scared athlete is an athlete begging to be injured. Summerslam is a more realistic timeline, and even that isn't something you can circle in anything other than pencil. It's not far-fetched to think that Rollins is coming back in a year's time or maybe Rumble 2017 if he has a difficult recovery; people will bring up Derrick Rose but like Peterson Rose is an outlier, a case of multiple injuries stacking up and an extremely difficult recovery process that sadly took away what a special athlete Rose was.

If everything goes well, Rollins has a chance to continue his career and extend it for a good, long while. He'll have to adjust his style, but wrestling doesn't require the quick plants and direction changes that something like football or basketball does. Rollins' issue will be the wear and tear that night after night wrestling does to one's body, when the ring itself does damage to knees and ankles. Dives will have to be cut down and the number of times that he comes down and absorbs a lot of impact on his feet will need to be reduced, but using the Pedigree as a finisher should be fine, as opposed when he was doing a single-leg stomp off the top and absorbing a lot of shock on his legs.

Again, I haven't seen the MRIs and it wouldn't matter if I did since I'm not a doctor much less a reputable one, but there's nothing to say that Rollins' can't make a comeback and resume his career, if everything goes well. Now, Vince is a crazy person and if he demands that Rollins come back at the Rumble and Rollins listens than all bets are off and he's headed to disaster. But if Rollins diligently rehabs and WWE gives him the time and resources, he should be able to make a full recovery. Unless he doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

HerraS posted:

Did you actually see any of his matches with Punk

I was in Chicago actually :clint: That doesn't mean they were all great though. It's not like all the chants against him were for no reason for so long.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sonicice posted:

I was in Chicago actually :clint: That doesn't mean they were all great though. It's not like all the chants against him were for no reason for so long.

A lot of that was lovely booking and being tired of the Superman act though, as has been stated. His ringwork wasn't Ric Flair good during the "lol cena winz" era, but it was good. When he'd get an opponent he could work with, good matches happened. There's a reason he got the nickname Big Match John.

Plus he and Punk just had magic chemistry. The Rock vs HHH of this era, where the booking to get there may be cliche or less than stellar but you can't fault their ability to gel with one another. I don't think those two ever had a bad match with each other.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 6, 2015

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

So the same John Cena who managed to get a passable match out of the Great Khali apparently only got good when he started to do more MOVEZ (that suck rear end, his stunner is the worst)

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I hope they have Owens or Sheamus fill the top heel void but I can't shake the horrible feeling they'll turn Dean because WWE.
This is a problem because?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HerraS posted:

So the same John Cena who managed to get a passable match out of the Great Khali apparently only got good when he started to do more MOVEZ (that suck rear end, his stunner is the worst)

I completely agree, I don't like his "epic" WWE title matches this year but other people think they're the poo poo, so I'll just call that a difference of opinion.

The idea that he wasn't good until his US title reign is just really, really silly. Go rewatch Cena/Umaga LMS or some poo poo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A tournament ending with a Sheamus cash in would be god awful, tournaments exist to make champions. Rollins cashing in at WrestleMania worked but even then some found it anticlimactic, imagine being crowned champion and losing it minutes later. Oh wait, Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Only thing I didn't like about his US title matches was literally every challenger but Zack Ryder kicking out of an AA

Dude attempted a 450, he was so happy to be in that spot and on TV. I don't like Zack but he should have been allowed to kick out of one AA, even if it'd mean he'd immediately be AA'd again

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If they want to do this tournament well they need storylines that fit into it. I'm not even joking when i say they should put Heath Slater in it as an underdog that does better than expected before losing in the semis to their heel of choice, i.e. Bray.

Also others like the unannounced surprise entrant (one of the NXT crew), friends being forced to face off. There is a vhance to do something great here.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Just have the Wyatts beat the gently caress out of everyone in the tournament and plunge the WWE into a reign of darkness where every show opens with Bray doing a spooky promo for thirty minutes

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Lid posted:

A tournament ending with a Sheamus cash in would be god awful, tournaments exist to make champions. Rollins cashing in at WrestleMania worked but even then some found it anticlimactic, imagine being crowned champion and losing it minutes later. Oh wait, Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam...

The thing is, whoever wins the tournament will have legitimacy as a champion (in theory). Sheamus either losing or not participating in the tournament and cashing in after the final match sets up a simple story where you have the deserving, legitimate champion trying to get back at the villain for taking the easy way to the top. The winner of the tournament is still made a champion, the only thing he's missing is the belt itself. And the important part of the story would be the chase anyway.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Lid posted:

Bryan being screwed at Summerslam worked, it was just the months of gently caress finishes after that that hosed everything up. He should have won the belt for real at Hell in a Cell, but then WM30 obviously wouldn't have played out the way it did so :shrug:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

AlmightyPants posted:

The thing is, whoever wins the tournament will have legitimacy as a champion (in theory). Sheamus either losing or not participating in the tournament and cashing in after the final match sets up a simple story where you have the deserving, legitimate champion trying to get back at the villain for taking the easy way to the top. The winner of the tournament is still made a champion, the only thing he's missing is the belt itself. And the important part of the story would be the chase anyway.

The fans will hate it and will see the tournament as A Waste of Time. This isn't an incumbent champion being dethroned, this is the elation at a new person on top (or Brock).

Unless Cena Wins.

Then its like Cena v Rey Mysterio all over again.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel the moral of the story is that Money in the Bank is totally idiotic and played out. Having a dude absolutely nobody wants to see with it like Sheamus makes it worse.

Unless your goal is to have every title match overshadowed by the "Oh gently caress, is Sheamus going to come in and ruin this" feeling.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I love Sheamus and I still can't believe he won it. At best it was done to promote TMNT, at worst it was just done as a swerve because every single other person in the match had a storyline reason to have the briefcase or to do something interesting with it. There was even the possibility of New Day freebirding it.

But nope it's Sheamus who goes on to team with Barrett and fight comic people (I like the team, but it's not what Guy with Briefcase should do)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm actually glad Roman didn't win it. If the rub against Roman was that WWE were fast-tracking him to the main event picture when he didn't deserve it, the last thing he needed was to carry around a free title shot with him every time he's on TV.

(does anyone else think there should be sort of a moratorium on the MITB case? i really have grown to hate the guy constantly waiting with his guaranteed title shot to ruin a main event with an awful finish)

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Serious question: why is Seth's reign looked at as one of the worst ever? Because of the amount of times he's lost on free TV?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A: Yes.

B: I haven't watched much Raw lately, but very clearly one Raw I did catch was from about 2 months ago. Rollins vs. Cena. Good match. Then Rollins hits the frog splash and gets 2. Then Cena turns into...not even Superman...he becomes Saitama from One Punch Man, he casually lifts Seth up like a sack of groceries; AA rapadoo poopy joke and gets the 3 like he was nothing. I don't generally believe in putting too much stock in weekly wins and losses but there's a limit. And that's what broke it for me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

Serious question: why is Seth's reign looked at as one of the worst ever? Because of the amount of times he's lost on free TV?

Partly because of that, partly because he does all these long opening promos nobody cares for and everyone agrees could be gotten rid of completely or at least shortened, partly because he gets embarrassed a lot on TV (by opponents, by partners, by his bosses, by fans), partly because him having the belt is the only comeuppance he gets, partly because he's only had 3 decisive successful title defenses (1 of which came because he likely ended Sting's career a minute or two before the finish), partly because he's had ridiculous stuff that comes up and derails him when he finally looks comfortable with what he has to work with (feuds with Sting and Kane in 2015 on-camera while dealing with nudes being posted and his Nazi girlfriend being fired off-camera; the former two people didn't want to see in world title matches this year, the latter two people felt bad for him having to be on-camera a day after dealing with each and noticeably still looking flustered/pissed)

There's a lot of justifiable complaints about his reign and how he's looked throughout

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

sonicice posted:

For a lot of those matches too, you finally felt like there was a chance that almost every opponent had a legit shot at winning the title too, due to the long history of lolcenawins.

What no I didn't

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Optimist with doubt posted:

This is a problem because?

in truth? It'd bother me from a storyline stance because it'd make no loving sense. Yes Dean is portrayed as insane, loony, and largely a loner, but the ONE thing consistent with his character is that the people he cares about (read: Roman and Seth) he REALLY cares about. Even the blood feud with Seth was predicated on the fact that Dean did care about him, and got stabbed in the back by him, therefore he had to die. Roman is Dean's only friend in storyline, and dammit they're basically brothers. You could definitely write an effective Dean heel turn where he's, for example, convinced he's doing Roman some kind of favor by being a foil, but that kind of thing would take time, certainly more than two weeks, and even if you tried to fast track it and did a reasonably good job of it, you'd be missing out on a more effective turn later.

Non-storyline wise, I'm probably the only person in PSP/RR who feels this way, but I like my favorite wrestlers to be faces. I enjoy hearing crowds go apeshit for them and watching them beat up jerks. Conversely, I don't enjoy wrestling as much when there are no faces I'm really interested in. I can look at Cena and go "drat that's a good babyface, he does a good job selling the feud" but it's not the same investment. I can look at a guy like Cesaro and go "Holy poo poo he's awesome and criminally underutilized" but that doesn't mean I'd get the same level of marking out if/when he wins a title. It was like that for me with Punk, then Bryan, now Dean. I don't want them to be heels because I want to see them on a hero's journey. I like watching that. I genuinely like Roman Reigns but he's a generic babyface. Face Ambrose is the closest thing we get to an actual compelling babyface in 2015 WWE whose character is not just "friend to children who beats up jerks" unless you count NXT. The one guy who does that basic, generic character well enough in 2015 WWE/NXT to get me invested is Sami Zayn. Every other face I'm really invested in has some manner of edge to them. Except Apollo Crews I guess, but he and Sami seem like very similar dudes. It's organic to them, so it works.

It'd make a shitload more sense to have Roman turn on Dean from both of these stances. Roman's character is also decently written/defined, but a key with him is the "I" stuff, and "One Versus All" and all that. That is a much easier sudden, swerve heel transition than a guy whose entire singles character is based on a sense of brotherhood and a code of honor albeit through a twisted lens. From a business stance it'd make more sense because Dean is probably more universally over and more importantly, turning Roman heel would allow him to show more personality and be more of a stoic asskicker which he does well until people start to organically cheer him again. It really is at least somewhat similar to The Rock's journey, which is kind of a funny cosmic coincidence,

I know Dean would be a great heel and be entertaining, I'm about 60% sure they're gonna go there, and Dean turning heel wouldn't make me quit WWE or anything. But I'd be wildly disappointed and there are much better options readily available to WWE basically any way you choose to look at it. Which is exactly why Dean is going to turn, because WWE is WWE.

To get back on topic I am happy Seth will (I presume) get a chance to be a face himself when he returns. His offense is tailor made for it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I can't wait for Face Seth and his new theme song.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AfroLine posted:

I can't wait for Face Seth and his new theme song.

That is going to be rad, yes.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Partly because of that, partly because he does all these long opening promos nobody cares for and everyone agrees could be gotten rid of completely or at least shortened, partly because he gets embarrassed a lot on TV (by opponents, by partners, by his bosses, by fans), partly because him having the belt is the only comeuppance he gets, partly because he's only had 3 decisive successful title defenses (1 of which came because he likely ended Sting's career a minute or two before the finish), partly because he's had ridiculous stuff that comes up and derails him when he finally looks comfortable with what he has to work with (feuds with Sting and Kane in 2015 on-camera while dealing with nudes being posted and his Nazi girlfriend being fired off-camera; the former two people didn't want to see in world title matches this year, the latter two people felt bad for him having to be on-camera a day after dealing with each and noticeably still looking flustered/pissed)

There's a lot of justifiable complaints about his reign and how he's looked throughout

Don't forget that he was emphatically shown to be inferior to the US champ after he lost to him on two Network shows and one Raw in close sucession.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thinking it over, has anyone other than Edge that time he replaced Jeff in that title match returned from a serious injury as a heel? In 2002 HHH was the biggest piece of poo poo imaginable, but when he came back they didn't even try to make him anything other than a triumphant face. Same with that Angle injury with the Clocks video package. I THINK Kane was a heel-turned-face when he returned with Paul Bearer in that iconic moment people always talk about. Cena in 2008 was a face when he got injured, but even smarks lost their poo poo for him in MSG so I count it as the same sort of thing.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Where did the face HHH vs Seth story come from?

I'm genuinely upset we won't get to see that, just because I'd love to see the fans poo poo all over their hubris for the third year in a row. The sheer brass neck on these people jfc

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Chris James 2 posted:

I love Sheamus and I still can't believe he won it. At best it was done to promote TMNT, at worst it was just done as a swerve because every single other person in the match had a storyline reason to have the briefcase or to do something interesting with it. There was even the possibility of New Day freebirding it.

But nope it's Sheamus who goes on to team with Barrett and fight comic people (I like the team, but it's not what Guy with Briefcase should do)

He won it because the WWE owed it to Shaemus over their 'plans' for him being derailed.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Thinking it over, has anyone other than Edge that time he replaced Jeff in that title match returned from a serious injury as a heel? In 2002 HHH was the biggest piece of poo poo imaginable, but when he came back they didn't even try to make him anything other than a triumphant face. Same with that Angle injury with the Clocks video package. I THINK Kane was a heel-turned-face when he returned with Paul Bearer in that iconic moment people always talk about. Cena in 2008 was a face when he got injured, but even smarks lost their poo poo for him in MSG so I count it as the same sort of thing.

Okay the question starts "has anyone" and yet I get the sense that if I say "Buff Bagwell" I'll get dismissive remarks thrown my way.

So did you mean anyone in WWE, and moreover modern WWE after the Monday Night Wars I guess?

EDIT: A lot of people in back are really high on Sheamus as a top heel. This is why he won Money in the Bank. This isn't difficult to imagine, much less understand.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If they're high on Sheamus as a top heel I guess I'll have to content myself with my continuing campaign of schadenfreude. Let's go sub 3 rating.
Actually wait until Cena gets back, THEN let's go sub 3 rating.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ty1990 posted:

It's seen as being the worst ever by THE HUTT because most people itt were in diapers when Rey had literally the worst title run ever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm a fair-weather wrestling fan, or a fan-in-theory or a fan-of-theory----I don't watch a lot of legitimate programs ever, but I'm slowly developing a hell of an appreciation for what these men and women do. Scenarios like this one are fascinating to me. They have to push someone new now. They are left with no choice.

What I find weird is that they have both a guy with MitB and they have a #1 contender already. But... they're holding a tournament. They have two people on the roster who have a claim to a match with the (now vacant) champ. It seems to me that they should at least acknowledge that.

Thunder Mug
Jul 11, 2008

They may kick our ass, but they will never kick Our Freedom!

Shawn Cotureier posted:

How will this effect the Up Up Down Down Madden tournament? :(

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

Ah, so Seth can still win the one wrestling championship tournament worth caring about :allears:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

HerraS posted:

Just have the Wyatts beat the gently caress out of everyone in the tournament and plunge the WWE into a reign of darkness where every show opens with Bray doing a spooky promo for thirty minutes

I'd actually watch the gently caress out of that, just because I love the Wyatt gimmick right now. It's so goddamn cheesy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, there's really no reason for a 4-man stable of big scary magic swamp men who just stole Taker and Kane's superpowers to not dominate the entire roster right now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, there's really no reason for a 4-man stable of big scary magic swamp men who just stole Taker and Kane's superpowers to not dominate the entire roster right now.

Imo the problem is that they clearly want Roman to start to be positioned to go on top at Mania, and Roman has just finished his blowoff match with... Bray Wyatt. Which means that if Wyatt is the top heel going forward it puts Roman in a weird position.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
At the very least, I hope they let Rollins to show his face at Wrestlemania and get that payout. Here's hoping the dude takes the time he needs to recuperate.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Actually it kinda sucked that anyone kicked out of the AA in those US open challenge matches. They were all very good matches but I don't like guys kicking out of finishers for no reason, it felt liked they devalued the move a little to me. You wouldn't have heard a complaint out of me if loving Stardust got pinned by one AA. The springboard stunner sucks though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fsmhunk posted:

Actually it kinda sucked that anyone kicked out of the AA in those US open challenge matches. They were all very good matches but I don't like guys kicking out of finishers for no reason, it felt liked they devalued the move a little to me. You wouldn't have heard a complaint out of me if loving Stardust got pinned by one AA. The springboard stunner sucks though.

Near the end it was actually getting better because there wasn't kicking out of any finishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Where did the face HHH vs Seth story come from?

I'm genuinely upset we won't get to see that, just because I'd love to see the fans poo poo all over their hubris for the third year in a row. The sheer brass neck on these people jfc

I too would like to know this because I want to use it as an example every time somebody says the company is going to be better under HHH.

Please tell me it's not just that Vince Russo vid.

Edit: Holy poo poo it's Dave Meltzer. Holy poo poo. These people. These loving people.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 6, 2015

• Locked thread