Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

use whatsapp you loving olds. doesn't have that apple only imessage limitation and theres a feature to auto save every picture as they come in

whatsapp still exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mishaq posted:

i think they are but i dont think i ever take photos directly from the messages app so i cant confirm

photos taken in messages are saved to camera roll yes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

the 950 is coming out next week! im so excite!

i would be too, but it's using the infamous snapdragon lol 808 and based on playing around with the hardware demos at the microsoft devices event, it's a stuttery piece of poo poo. which is impressive because the one and only thing winpho had going was that it ran well on poo poo phones

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it has no first party apps. none. zero. zilch.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

use whatsapp you loving olds. doesn't have that apple only imessage limitation and theres a feature to auto save every picture as they come in

lol sure let me use whatsapp and also telegram and lyne and hangouts and all kinds of bullshit message programs cause everyone is a special snowflake who can't just use the stock text message ap

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Last Chance posted:

whatsapp still exists?

yeah fb bought it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

photos taken in messages are saved to camera roll yes

rn im hosed off coz the icloud on my windows isnt up to date at all

Last Chance posted:

whatsapp still exists?

fuckin hate this poo poo

"what, people still eat at mcdonalds?"

etc

itys lazy. youre beter than that (I hope)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

but people dont eat at mcdonalds anymore. their sales have plummeted

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol sure let me use whatsapp and also telegram and lyne and hangouts and all kinds of bullshit message programs cause everyone is a special snowflake who can't just use the stock text message ap

idk maybe its a regional thing but here p much everyone uses it (even my parents, bosses, etc.) and the only messages i get in my messages inbox anymore are OTPs for internet banking missed calls and strangers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what's the region

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i like telegram for the custom stickers.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i had the same problem, op. my wife had a bunch of images on her phone from a family member who passed away. she wanted to save them all and i found out there was no easy way to do this from the phone itself. so i had to install some janky software on my pc and it ended up creating a folder on my hard drive that I can't delete anymore. windows tells me it can't be found. you could say i got owned.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

idk maybe its a regional thing but here p much everyone uses it (even my parents, bosses, etc.) and the only messages i get in my messages inbox anymore are OTPs for internet banking missed calls and strangers

where's this at cause all my euro pals use whatsapp but all my asian coworkers use lyne or whatever and my one friend demands we all use telegram cause IT'S ENCRYPTED

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i dont use any of those cell phone programs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

but people dont eat at mcdonalds anymore. their sales have plummeted

yes but its still like hundreds of millions a day or someting

its not like, "who even delivers milk by horse and cart"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I forgave them for now because Siri is a cool rainbow power spectrum thing instead of the wave she was before.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cat Face Joe posted:

where's this at cause all my euro pals use whatsapp but all my asian coworkers use lyne or whatever and my one friend demands we all use telegram cause IT'S ENCRYPTED

thegrugq says use signal

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Because it doesn't know how to receive calls.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

what's the region

Cat Face Joe posted:

singapore but yeah people in asia are pretty divided on which app they use by geography, like koreans like kakao talk and the chinese like wechat

would've expected whatsapp to be more popular globally in general though, seeing as facebook dropped 20 billion loving dollars on it

also lol just a day after saying no one i know sends trad messages anymore my friend just started messaging me with imessage. i reply it, then get a reply in a separate thread from the same guy because apparently the first imessage was using his email and the second using his number. both email and number are saved under the same contact card so why the gently caress arent the threads merged jesus christ apple

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
sometimes i've got no idea how im supposed to go back/cancel out of something

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

AtomD posted:

sometimes i've got no idea how im supposed to go back/cancel out of something

maybe if you have commitment issues you need to work on those and not blame the phone.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Yeah the fb things makes no sense since there's a million chat programs and you gotta pay for whatsapp which is a huge barrier for a lot of people

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah the fb things makes no sense since there's a million chat programs and you gotta pay for whatsapp which is a huge barrier for a lot of people

I can't remember ever paying for whatsapp (was it ever free??) or maybe it was like a dollar or some token amount. in any case my account is apparently lifetime and its associated with phone number and easy number porting means mine hasn't changed in like 10 years or something lmao holy poo poo it's been awhile. I remember back when I was an angsty teen I was spending like 40-50 bucks a month extra on sms overcharges so the dollar or w/e I paid for life is kinda moot. I think the adoption rate of these apps are so high in Asia because Asians really love messaging

but yeah now that apps are p much ubiquitous I have no idea why Facebook kept the cost barrier up considering the main purpose of their acquisition must have been the massive trove of data and opportunity for future collection rather than the windfall profits from 1 dollar a year memberships

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
why did all the IM networks die if teens and foreigners apparently love texting so much

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
i got whatsapp this summer and it was free?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

~Coxy posted:

why did all the IM networks die if teens and foreigners apparently love texting so much

line and weichat are doing great

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

~Coxy posted:

teens use Facebook (because only olds think that Facebook is bad because they're only friends with other olds) and Facebook has an integrated chat program

foreigners have their own foreigner chat apps

also in general texting is free unless you are doing it internationally (which is why foreigners have their own apps)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

computer parts posted:

teens use Facebook (because only olds think that Facebook is bad because they're only friends with other olds) and Facebook has an integrated chat program

foreigners have their own foreigner chat apps

also in general texting is free unless you are doing it internationally (which is why foreigners have their own apps)

actually, teens don't use facebook

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

teens left facebook for twitter then twitter for instagram then instagram for snapchat and are currently leaving snapchat for something

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bloody posted:

teens left facebook for twitter then twitter for instagram then instagram for snapchat and are currently leaving snapchat for something

nope

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yikyak probably

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I think theyre already leaving yikyak

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like yikyak was peak thing 15 months ago, no way its still hanging on

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stereotype posted:

yikyak probably

yikyak sucks and their twitch ad was really annoying. gently caress them. cock suckers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im hitting up this girl I like on kik.

eh idgaf if its lame or what. you know what it isn't? a buggy piece of poo poo on my iphone 4.

snapchat is the most poorly coded app there is. I sometimes have to hard reset my phone to get out of it
facebook chat is not tragic but not that great
tweetbot DM is slow prolly coz of twitters api

kik supremacy

Bloody posted:

maybe and maybe not. its not like suddenly NO ONE uses facebook, or NO ONE uses twitter, or NO ONE uses instagram, or NO ONE uses snapchat. millions upon tens and hundreds of millions of people still use those things daily

stop being so hyperbolic

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

where in that post did I say everyone

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
how come safari scrolls differently to the rest of ios

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

im hitting up this girl I like on kik.

eh idgaf if its lame or what. you know what it isn't? a buggy piece of poo poo on my iphone 4.

snapchat is the most poorly coded app there is. I sometimes have to hard reset my phone to get out of it
facebook chat is not tragic but not that great
tweetbot DM is slow prolly coz of twitters api

kik supremacy

maybe and maybe not. its not like suddenly NO ONE uses facebook, or NO ONE uses twitter, or NO ONE uses instagram, or NO ONE uses snapchat. millions upon tens and hundreds of millions of people still use those things daily

stop being so hyperbolic

kik me

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Still on the Yo app - the original and best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AtomD posted:

how come safari scrolls differently to the rest of ios

its to ensure safari has the same slow as balls performance everyone expects.

• Locked thread