Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Assault Squad, hands down, is the most overpriced unit in the book. 250 points for 10 regular dudes? Insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Blood Angels Tactical Sergeant (90% Complete)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

The Assault Squad, hands down, is the most overpriced unit in the book. 250 points for 10 regular dudes? Insane.
At max size it's still like 20 points per dude. They could probably use a small discount.

The most overpriced unit has to be Justaerin though. I feel sorry for those guys.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

They don't really exist as an entire army though. They're purely around as a support group to block psykers.

They do seem to do their own shtick, but it's mainly Imperium-based. Hunt rogue psykers, crewing the black ships, etc.
The great crusade is when they started to help out legions deal with alien psykers, and then into the big legion PvP match.

That's why I can't see them getting a full army. Maybe at best like the Book 1 mechanicum: an HQ and troops, just enough to represent battlefield-level leadership.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

serious gaylord posted:

They don't really exist as an entire army though. They're purely around as a support group to block psykers.

It's fiction, they can add stuff. Besides, it's not like 30k is a huge scale game, twenty chicks, some trucks for them to ride in, a bad rear end robot or two, boom. They can still act as an anti-psyker force in the fluff's huge rear end battles, while functioning as an army in the game

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Stanyer89 posted:

A legion of vampiric Canadian lumberjacks is a legion I can get behind.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
The trick is that (things like assault Marines aside) a lot of things aren't over costed per se, they're just inflexible in terms of what you can do with them. So a lot of the list building strategy is kinda similar to eldar aspect warriors - turbosick units at specific jobs but if you leave holes in your coverage (E. G. Anti air) you'll be exploited.

A lot of the 'good' units are ones which are competent at multiple roles which makes them unique. Sure you can try for veteran tacticals to have a more '40k' feel but they're hella expensive for that kind of 'jack of all trades' style.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

The trick is that (things like assault Marines aside) a lot of things aren't over costed per se, they're just inflexible in terms of what you can do with them. So a lot of the list building strategy is kinda similar to eldar aspect warriors - turbosick units at specific jobs but if you leave holes in your coverage (E. G. Anti air) you'll be exploited.

A lot of the 'good' units are ones which are competent at multiple roles which makes them unique. Sure you can try for veteran tacticals to have a more '40k' feel but they're hella expensive for that kind of 'jack of all trades' style.

How closely do the rules play to the fluff?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mango Polo posted:

Oh there we go then, it's a very early one. Good to know they got fixed because I want more, it's such a cool unit.

Yeah I think the new ones have their tracks molded onto the side sections. The FW land raiders and spartan do too now, apparently.

In other news, I have some plastic landraider bits coming that will be the basis of a spartan for my World Eaters. Angron and his Red Butchers need a murderbus to roll around in style (and not eat D weapon shots to the face like a chump).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

panascope posted:

Yes. The Sons of Horus were loyal for a short time until the campaign on Davin.

Sweet! How's Loken rules-wise (though I can probably guess the answer). Sorry for the inane question but phone posting.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

He's a praetor level character with a paragon blade and a decent warlord trait (friendly units within 12" can take leadership tests off him) and on a roll of 2+ ignores his first fatal wound for 175pts. Oh, iron halo too. No eternal warrior though, which is kinda hard to come by in 30k.

He's no Kharn, but not bad by any means, I think.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Having just seen the Calth set I am very glad there is no faction iconography. I'll be picking up some FW pieces to add some Chaos mutation, but it's super great the new kit could be any HH army without spending hours scraping Us or winged swords off things.

Also the new WD comes with a tiny Ultramarine button. :3:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Stanyer89 posted:

Needs a bigger sword, IMO.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PierreTheMime posted:

Having just seen the Calth set I am very glad there is no faction iconography. I'll be picking up some FW pieces to add some Chaos mutation, but it's super great the new kit could be any HH army without spending hours scraping Us or winged swords off things.

Also the new WD comes with a tiny Ultramarine button. :3:

This. I loving hate the 40k boxed set uses non generic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ijyt posted:

Were Luna Wolves still loyal when they switched to being Sons of Horus? I love the colour scheme of SoH and I'm still trying to decide between Alpha and them.

There's also presumably army sized detachments sent elsewhere around the galaxy or attached to other legion's expeditions that had no idea about what happened and are still loyal to Terra, although they'd have to earn their trust.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Sir Teabag posted:

How closely do the rules play to the fluff?

Tbh pretty well. Each Legion has their unique rules and when you combine it with Rites of War then generally you can get very fluffy armies with minimal effort.

My Salamanders are a small, elite army focused on quality units led by Vulkan and an ancient Dreadnought as my HQ unit. I've got units completely armed with flamers for example.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lord Twisted posted:

. I've got units completely armed with flamers for example.

That gets me so hot...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It helps that the Salamanders and Emperors Children are clearly the favourite chapters of Simon Egan. Those guys get all the cool looking poo poo.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So will you have an options for weapons in the BaC box? It looks like there is a multi-melta on one Termie and a plasma gun on one tactical dude but I'm not sure what else.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 6, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I had thought that wa sa heavy flamer on the Terminator. The other non-bolter weapons, as far as the pics go: heavy bolter, plasma gun, melta gun, missile launcher, terminator sergeant with lightning claws, sergeant with power sword and plasma pistol, combi-melta on the praetor, crozius and plasma pistol on the Chaplain. It looks like all the power armor marines come with a CCW as well, and some of the sergeants looks like they can have either bolt or plasma pistols

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Betrayal at Calth is live.
The pics showing the set fully painted in both color schemes is really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what people end up doing with those.

On the other hand, the paint job on the contemptor is garish as gently caress. Kind of fitting for Word Bearers though.

And as suspected, FW has put up a ton of army deals to combine with the box. No idea if they have any savings, but since it's FW... probably!

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 6, 2015

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Oh there we go then, it's a very early one. Good to know they got fixed because I want more, it's such a cool unit.

Late to 30Kchat but I've put two Sicarans together in the last year, and they were the new sculpts. The main hull goes together super easy now, barring serious warpage - the side hull plate and treads are just one single giant block of resin. You just glue together the four bits that make up the main hull, glue the side banks on either side, slap in the engine exhausts and heavy bolter/hatch bits and it's done. My only complaint is that the mold channels for the side banks are placed smack dab on the junctions between some of the tread shoes so you have to get creative about carving in some lost detail or cover it up with battle damage. It's not even on the underside of the tank, it's right on the back so it's visible.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Betrayal at Calth is live.
The pics showing the set fully painted in both color schemes is really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what people end up doing with those.

On the other hand, the paint job on the contemptor is garish as gently caress. Kind of fitting for Word Bearers though.

And as suspected, FW has put up a ton of army deals to combine with the box. No idea if they have any savings, but since it's FW... probably!
315 Dollarydoos!?! :monocle:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

315 Dollarydoos!?! :monocle:

It pales in comparison to the FW bundle at almost 900 pounds which consists of "we need to make a big bundle just throw together whatever you can grab that looks like a tank and call it a day - oh and a techmarine too". It's so bizarre.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

It pales in comparison to the FW bundle at almost 900 pounds which consists of "we need to make a big bundle just throw together whatever you can grab that looks like a tank and call it a day - oh and a techmarine too". It's so bizarre.

It also appears to include three copies of the board game.

Well then.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

FrostyPox posted:

Well then.

For $1200, they could have thrown in some armor/pads/helmets for your veterans at least. Land raider doors and maybe a rhino door kit.

You'd spend another $5-600 just to get them decked out in resin icons for your legion.

e: the box game is £95, and they want another £130 for armor and pads just for the infantry. Good luck to you if you wanted to get a non-CC arm for your contemptor, or bling for the terminators, chaplain or praetor.

Why is this feeling like such a not good deal?

koreban fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 6, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I like that for the big army shots they just straight copy-and-pasted the basic squads. I know it's probably a pretty normal practice, but it's a pretty bad way to showcase a range of models.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
On the other hand, I've had people tell me that geedubs is going to be an idiot and make it into a limited edition item. No loving way they'll do that when Forge is selling bundles with three of the drat things in it.

I think I'm going to order in one and a five-bunch of resin Catahpractii bodies - I'll use one set to fill up my existing five-man heavy flamer squad and use the leftover plastic claws for a five-man clawnator squad.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Well then.

I saw a couple of posters at Bolter & Chainsword mention they are picking 2-3 boxes on day 1, so that part isn't too weird all things taken into account.

Kind of funny they'll throw away all the cardboard though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Drake_263 posted:

I think I'm going to order in one and a five-bunch of resin Catahpractii bodies - I'll use one set to fill up my existing five-man heavy flamer squad and use the leftover plastic claws for a five-man clawnator squad.

Just wait a bit and I'm sure the plastic sprue will be cheaper than 5 resin bodies.

Edit: yeah 5 resin bodies is sixty bucks after shipping, no way the plastic sprue will be more than that.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 6, 2015

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

I saw a couple of posters at Bolter & Chainsword mention they are picking 2-3 boxes on day 1, so that part isn't too weird all things taken into account.

Kind of funny they'll throw away all the cardboard though.

I'm not too surprised considering the kinds of people who seem to post on Bolter and Chainsword last time I check that site out.

I mean, there's being a GW fan, and then there's the B&C crew...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

I dig the pictures of the Betrayal at Calth marines painted as different legions on the page for each Task Force.

A lot of them seem pretty rushed though like the Dark Angels and the Salamanders.

edit: I think the White Scars have some of the coolest looking upgrade kits. Those helmets are off the chain.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 6, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's also presumably army sized detachments sent elsewhere around the galaxy or attached to other legion's expeditions that had no idea about what happened and are still loyal to Terra, although they'd have to earn their trust.

I know it seems is dumb but having fluffy stuff is like, the foremost important thing for me with 40k/30k, followed by themes that are fun to paint and followed far behind by rules.

It's the reason I ebayed so many Mk VIII armour pieces for my Minotaurs. :sigh:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AndyElusive posted:

I dig the pictures of the Betrayal at Calth marines painted as different legions on the page for each Task Force.

A lot of them seem pretty rushed though like the Dark Angels and the Salamanders.

edit: I think the White Scars have some of the coolest looking upgrade kits. Those helmets are off the chain.

Thats unfortunately the way they're instructed to paint things now. Its achievable to all.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Every single one is rushed. The lovely chest emblem on the blood angel, the big wash splotches on the alpha, the blocky shading on the white scars' legs, etc.

It's basically FW being given the models at the last minute most likely. Kind of charming, in a battle damage and grim kind of way.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I know batch painting can be a chore for a lot of people, and it lends to lazy paint jobs from time to time. It's just funny to see such low quality come out from FW/GW, but I can understand why it ended up like that.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I just took a look at the geedubs site. Went JESUS gently caress 315 DOLLARS WHAT. Then realized it was locked onto Australia.

I'm equal parts relieved, terrified and sympathetic to you aushams now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Those upgrade kits are hilarious. They save anywhere from 0.50 - 1.50 GBP depending on the legion.

And yeah, the Dark Angels demo models suck. It's kind of funny, I browsed through the others to see if they were as bad or as rushed and the Dark Angels really are the worst of the bunch.

Edit: Their barrels aren't even drilled. :laffo:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 6, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
pre-Heresy Dark Angels were black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I know batch painting can be a chore for a lot of people, and it lends to lazy paint jobs from time to time. It's just funny to see such low quality come out from FW/GW, but I can understand why it ended up like that.

There's a lot more effort put on the GW side this time around (since these are used for promo), kind of amusing to compare.