Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm actually surprised at how good the Iron Warriors look, the paintjob is shithouse but the helmets actually look okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Recoome posted:

I'm actually surprised at how good the Iron Warriors look, the paintjob is shithouse but the helmets actually look okay.

An Iron Warrior not covered in poo poo is an Iron Warrior not doing his job.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Other than the Dark Angel sergeant, the standard bearer is probably my favorite paint job from all the Task Forces.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What are the chances we will see assault squads rebalanced for points cost in the new red book? I really want to do BA with jump packs all over. But urgh :negative:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Other than the Dark Angel sergeant, the standard bearer is probably my favorite paint job from all the Task Forces.

That is the sergeant. I'm guessing you mean the bare-headed dude with the plasma gun who is even worse.

Demons
May 27, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Those upgrade kits are hilarious. They save anywhere from 0.50 - 1.50 GBP depending on the legion.

Night Lords save a whopping £3.50. Know what I'm going for

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

What are the chances we will see assault squads rebalanced for points cost in the new red book? I really want to do BA with jump packs all over. But urgh :negative:

Not outside the realm of possibilities. FW tends to be somewhat attentive to general feedback and sneak in little updates as new books come out (e.g. Justaerin point drop, alternate World Eater legion bonus, etc).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

There's blue paint on the bolter and what looks like a regular flesh color over black primer. I mean whatever, it's not the model's fault but that's some pretty shoddy brushwork. I wonder if they picked up the slack and hired on some Blue Table Painting guys for cheap :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They were most likely farmed out to normal (non-professional painter) FW staff to do in their off hours, with a week or two to do it in, in exchange for a free box. I'd bodge it as well, then re-paint them later.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

That is the sergeant. I'm guessing you mean the bare-headed dude with the plasma gun who is even worse.

Burn scars from plasma venting on bare face? :v:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hello, I would like to retract my previous statement; I originally said this game was 315 Dollarydoos; it was actually 315 Kiwi Funbux. The price in Dollarydoos is 265.

In seriousness, though, these are nice models and I actually kind of like the idea of the Horus Heresy as a game since I imagine "Differently flavored Space Marines" are easier for GW to balance than 40K is. I fear that I may give GW money if they make a main line of miniatures for 30K that's cheaper than FW.

The boardgame, though? Pass.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

The boardgame, though? Pass.

I applaud them for the effort on packing Warhammer 30,000 with its own game which may or may not suck.

:downsbravo:

Too bad no one is going to pick up Betrayal at Calth for anything other than the plastic.

Safety Factor posted:

You can just tell the guy who painted it was under a deadline or gave zero fucks.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 7, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This post kinda grew out of the overpriced unit and 'traps to avoid' discussion into my experience with the troops choices after playing a legion since it came out.

Avoiding Traps
I feel that thr biggest traps are spending too much on troops or bringing too many deathstars. Troops are critical to the success of your army, but they are also one of your weakest links- they are inflexible, costly, and often overpriced. 30K isn't a competitive game so don't worry about min maxing or whatever, that's not the point here, but when you're starting out you need to think about your scoring trooos options and what they are going to do.

This leads to another thing I see a lot of- deathstars everywhere. In 30k you have lots and lots of options. It's easy to spend 400 points on a single unit and an attached character or two. You'll hear often from heresy hams that '30k really opens up 2500' or 'it's intended to be played at 3500'. My opnion is that its mostly because at those levels it's easy to take everything. I actually find 1850-2000 to be the sweet spot since you have to make choices about what kind of army you want and what units make sense. When you begin making lists, resist the urge to overspend in order to make things work. Take single units with specific tasks in mind backed up by one or two support units. Basically, the Ork and Eldar mantras of 'boys before toys' and 'everything must have a purpose' hold some relevance here.

Troops Breakdown

Tactical Squad- The most cost effective troop around. It's run eigher as a naked squad camping an objective, in a rhino, or in a blob with an apothecary. Some legions run blobs better, others favor smaller squads. It's not a bad choice, but you'll need to invest points here otherwise they'll be an 150 point paperweight.

Breacher- One of the most overcosted troops. Despite this, and despite how situational their rules seem, they are a good unit- one of the few who can tie up primarchs for a few turns, block deathstars, or charge into melee with a knight and expect to win the combat and survive the resulting explosion. If you know how to use them, they are fun and good in a defensive role, but suffer in the role they are named after- breaching enemy lines. They really shine in Zone Mortalis. Our group gave them a 50 point decrease and 'move through cover' which for their role makes them way more attractive. Another way to balance them out is to give them melta bombs by default.

Assault Squads- One of the most overcosted units in 30k. It's s hard unit to balance- by itself it will carve through many units in a turn or two, but if it costs too little it'll be overpowered. We got the latter- a spendy unit that dies as easily as regular marines. They are so bad that there are entire ROW that are never used because of them. Our own group gave them a 100 point decrease and a reduced cost of getting more bodies.

Recon Squads- For what it brings, a few sniper shots with marine armour, they cost too much. Being a support option, and being outshined by Seekers or Veterans, they almost never see the tabletop. They just don't have a role that's really important to warrent the points. I don't really know what to do for balance here, honesty.

Tactical Support Squads- Bring the pain. This unit can range from cheap and easy to ignore, to being able to delete any kind of unit, including primarchs, in one volly. They are a good choice in a number of lists, but they aren't cheap, and they die as easily as any other marine. They are priced fair, but it's easy to overspend as they add up super fast.

Veteran Tactical Squads- Think chaos chosen, but better and with even more options. Some legions run them better than others, but they can range anywhere from cheap mechanized scoring units to spendy marine killing deathstars for everyone. It's easy to overspend on them, but their added flexibility and better statline makes them priced fair against tactical marines.

PantsOptional posted:

I was really surprised at how inflexible the basic tactical squad is in 30k in terms of weapon selection. Am I correct in thinking that the best way to get good Special weapons is to grab a Vet squad?

What would you say are the most overcosted units?

The humble tactical squad isn't very flexible, but it's your cheapest troops choice. I also have a respect for bolters. Both in 30K and 40K shooting 80 bolter shots into something often produces good results. Even against marines all it takes is a few bad rolls to loose expensive models to piddily bolter fire. You want a special weapon? 30K is pretty all or nothing- you'll either pay extra for flexibility (like veterans or some legion units), rely on tanks or support units to fill the role, or buy a tactical support squad whevery dude has a special weapon.

As for the most overcosted units, besides a number of special legion units, it's assault squads followed by breachers, thunderhawks, and probably contemptors + malcador tanks.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 7, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Wait two things

1) those bundle display Marines have mk3 helmets on mkIV bodies what the gently caress IS THIS MY IMMERSION

2) what patten are those bolters...?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

Wait two things

1) those bundle display Marines have mk3 helmets on mkIV bodies what the gently caress IS THIS MY IMMERSION

2) what patten are those bolters...?
Same

And those are Tigrus pattern bolters.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So pre-orders are up. Wayland Games is doing 10% off but doesn't have free shipping so you save a princely £3.15, which for the random time the thing will turn up means you may as well buy it in store. Wayland are also incorrectly labelling it as limited edition.

Can anyone point me towards the best deal for Betrayal at Calth.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

So pre-orders are up. Wayland Games is doing 10% off but doesn't have free shipping so you save a princely £3.15, which for the random time the thing will turn up means you may as well buy it in store. Wayland are also incorrectly labelling it as limited edition.

Can anyone point me towards the best deal for Betrayal at Calth.

Something like Dark Sphere maybe? They have it for 71.25 pounds.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
The flgs had the box out for display, so I gave it a quick fondle

The rules are in German so I didn't take that many pics, I'll wait for the English set. The models are gorgeous though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm going to get mine from Dark Sphere, the release came at a bad time for me so I'm glad it's not limited. Ebay UK has plastic Contempors at £30 and the Cataphractii for £20, for future reference. Probably cheaper to get the whole box and sell off the models you don't want or need.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

pre-Heresy Dark Angels were black?

Yeah, they only adopted the green heraldry after Luther went bugfuck and the surviving leadership decided they would never tell anybody ever what happened.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So my group is settled on an escalation campaign, which none of us have ever done. Is there a campaign set in the black books that give guidelines on how to do this?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Book 4 has campaign rules. 40k lib ru.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Awesome - I actually have the books up to #4, but that site is crazy good for books. Actually I might convert some of the PDFs to epub for my e-reader so I can read the text while I'm traveling.

Any tips for tracking who's played who to know what point levels we should be at? We can't play every week usually, so I'm thinking just keep it simple and play 500 points one month, then bump it up each month, which should give most of us the opportunity to play 2 or 3 times at each point level.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Awesome - I actually have the books up to #4, but that site is crazy good for books. Actually I might convert some of the PDFs to epub for my e-reader so I can read the text while I'm traveling.

Any tips for tracking who's played who to know what point levels we should be at? We can't play every week usually, so I'm thinking just keep it simple and play 500 points one month, then bump it up each month, which should give most of us the opportunity to play 2 or 3 times at each point level.

Depending on how many people you have usually its best to have some poor sod be the coordinator (can also be player). Google drive or dropbox are usually your friend as you can have a master list (maybe even just an excel doc) of games played at which points etc, and then just have deadlines to update it as you go along.

I did an escalation league at Dark Sphere which did 2 weekly points bump ups - 400/750/1000/1500 and it worked brilliantly. For Heresy I would say 500/1000/1500/2000+ is probably a safe bet depending on your local meta.

I just pulled the trigger on some Spellcrow Salamanders torsos and the box set - £75 for both from Dark sphere. not bad.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sounds good, my playing group is just 4 of us, and apparently the guy at the FW shop at Warhammer World is telling folks his escalation league is just bumping up 200 pts a month, which is actually really manageable for us at our rate of play. One guy lives quite a way away and has 2 little Nurgling, so he can only play maximum 2 times a month and the slow increase will let us handle a 'play it painted' policy. I'm working on some new terrain to surprise the guys with, should be cool!

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

BirdieBedtime posted:

Yeah, they only adopted the green heraldry after Luther went bugfuck and the surviving leadership decided they would never tell anybody ever what happened.

"Hey man what happened to your armour, I don't remember it being green?"

"Nooooooooooothing. :gay:"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'd start it at around 600-750 using the allied FOC. We just kicked off our own escalation campaign and 500 is pretty tough to fill out. We're bumping it up 250 points each time we play.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

As this is the 30K thread, have some motherfucking 30K:

https://goodbadgreenskin.tumblr.com

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Spartan tank with dragon skull is radical.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You make a strong case for painting Salamanders instead of Alpha Legion/Emperor's Children.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Digging the Nightlords

Especially the dude doing ballet in the back

Hixson fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 7, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Haha they're kitbashed from vanguard and Raptors if I recall, I always laugh at some of the poses too. There's one guy who just looks like he's sighing at all the heresy going on around him.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

boom boom boom posted:

pre-Heresy Dark Angels were black?

Yep. They went green after the heresy.

Sir Teabag posted:

"Hey man what happened to your armour, I don't remember it being green?"

"Nooooooooooothing. :gay:"

It must have been hard for the DA to turn up after the heresy, having done nothing that anyone else was aware of and with a dead primarch and destroyed homeworld.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 7, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

krushgroove posted:

I'm going to get mine from Dark Sphere, the release came at a bad time for me so I'm glad it's not limited. Ebay UK has plastic Contempors at £30 and the Cataphractii for £20, for future reference. Probably cheaper to get the whole box and sell off the models you don't want or need.

Normally I'd go with elementgames.co.uk, as their postage is way way more reasonable. With DS I find that the ludicrous postage rates essentially negate the discount nowadays. Although with this box DS are the only people I can see applying a 20% discount, for some reason Element and Wayland are going with 10%.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You still get about £14 off with shipping included in the price from Dark Sphere, but I definitely shop less with them than I used to. It's much more of a chore to get in to Waterloo for pick-up as well, and a bit pricey, while my GW store is a pleasant walk from where I live.

It's a shame because its always fun to browse their other stuff.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh,Firestorm Games have it for 15% off with free shipping in the UK.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

FLG is giving away a Calth set after their Tuesday night stream next week. They also have it 25% off.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lord Twisted posted:

Haha they're kitbashed from vanguard and Raptors if I recall, I always laugh at some of the poses too. There's one guy who just looks like he's sighing at all the heresy going on around him.

4E Raptors are where it's at.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Until they buckle at the toe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wow, this looks even better than Age of Sigmar! Games Workshop, you've done it again!