Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PierreTheMime posted:

I really like the look of Deimos-pattern Rhinos, but I'm a bit bummed that Forgeworld doesn't seem to offer just the upgrade bitz and has instead decided to sell the whole kit for a remarkable sum. Do people just use standard Rhinos or how do you all go about it?

Aren't they complete models and not based on the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

serious gaylord posted:

Aren't they complete models and not based on the original?

Nope, it's just an upgrade kit that gets slapped on the standard Rhino chassis.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PierreTheMime posted:

I like the little Hobbit hole door

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ro5s posted:

This is all very speculative, I don't know if I'd ever get into 30k, but how are Death Guard? Is the Calth box a good starting point for them? What's a good playstyle for them?

Fearless footsloggers who give no fucks about pinning and natural dangerous terrains. As a penalty, they have a -1 modifier to sweeping advances. They just don't care about chasing fools.
Gear-wise, they can replace their flame weapons' fuel with chemicals, giving them Shred + Gets Hot! Finally they get Power Scythes, which allows them to smack every model in base contact.

Both of their unique units are terminators. Deathshroud are the only ones with two wounds (but still T4) and all get scythes. Grave Wardens are chemical experts, totting toxic grenade launchers and fighting at short range.
Mortarion himself is, amusingly, the fastest primarch around and doesn't particularly need a vehicle to reach melee. He just teleports around the battlefield until he reaches something to slice up.

Their rite of war, the reaping, is just doubling down on their traits. More infantry-carried heavy weapons, Move Through Cover, rad grenades all over. For the price of: lowering FA slots to one, never running or going flat-out, and never using deep strike. Gotta go slow.

The Calth box is good because this is one of the legions that wants to run a lot of infantry and specifically has a RoW that demands more infantry. Infantry and siege tanks.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 9, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PierreTheMime posted:

I really like the look of Deimos-pattern Rhinos, but I'm a bit bummed that Forgeworld doesn't seem to offer just the upgrade bitz and has instead decided to sell the whole kit for a remarkable sum. Do people just use standard Rhinos or how do you all go about it?

They withdrew all of the "upgrade bits only" vehicle kits at the same time, mid 2014 I think, I had that trouble when I went looking for an Eldar kit to put on the Wave Serpents I already owned.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 9, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
So do I just assume that the Word Bearers got a sweet shipment of new STC Rhinos prior to their turn? I would like the "old" 30K look but don't want to pay upwards of a hundred dollars for a single transport when standards go for $20ish.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For Alpha Legion stolen units chatter, I don't actually play the tabletop myself ($$$ reasons mainly), but I run a Rogue Trader campaign and all of my players do play the strategy game as well. One plays Alpha Legion in 30k, so I asked her out of curiosity what she usually takes as her stolen unit. She says the Iron Warrior super terminators combined with the Alphas' mutable tactics have never let her down, though lately she's been trying borrowed Invictarus Suzerains (from the Ultramarines) for a melee-oriented list.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

It does come with the full rhino sprue. You use everything from the rhino kit except for the front panel and the outer side panels. So not quite "slapped on", but replaces some key parts. The little turret parts are replaced as well.

EDIT: They should still have the "buy three at a discount" set on the forgeworld site.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 9, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

LordAba posted:

It does come with the full rhino sprue. You use everything from the rhino kit except for the front panel and the outer side panels. So not quite "slapped on", but replaces some key parts. The little turret parts are replaced as well.

EDIT: They should still have the "buy three at a discount" set on the forgeworld site.

3 for $151.50 plus $22.68 shipping is pretty steep. :/ I guess I'll stick with standard Rhinos for now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The more I think about it the more fun World Eaters would be to paint, though my issue is I only really know about the lore of very few chapters. What are some good books to read for EC, WE, WB and SoH? I've only read (listened to) Horus Rising and I'm kind of put off the others because of people saying anything that isn't by Abnett is poo poo.

e: I'm going to be one of those posters, would I just need some chain axe bits or god I don't know. This is the hardest choice I've had to make since choosing a course at university.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

The more I think about it the more fun World Eaters would be to paint, though my issue is I only really know about the lore of very few chapters. What are some good books to read for EC, WE, WB and SoH? I've only read (listened to) Horus Rising and I'm kind of put off the others because of people saying anything that isn't by Abnett is poo poo.

Aaron Dembski-Bowden is really good and, conveniently, he's done a few books focusing on the Word Bearers and World Eaters. They're absolutely worth reading if that's what you're interested in.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you want just the resin rhino bits, ebay or :ussr: are your only options. I have one FW style rhino and converted two of my own. It's not that tough to add some armour panels to the metal boxes, but it does require a chisel. Worst case, just use regular rhinos. Nobody will really give a poo poo.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah choosing an arrmy is tough since you're locked in for the long haul. You should definitely read up on the rules and find out what sounds fun and good before you commit. Any legion can do anything fairly well, so it's more about the color, feel, and fluff that should drive you.

But as Pannascope says, real bros fight for the Warmaster.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh yeah if I wanted to play Loyalist I'd play 40k, half the draw of 30k is getting a crack at those Pre-Heresy schemes.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

If you want just the resin rhino bits, ebay or :ussr: are your only options. I have one FW style rhino and converted two of my own. It's not that tough to add some armour panels to the metal boxes, but it does require a chisel. Worst case, just use regular rhinos. Nobody will really give a poo poo.

Yeah I'm probably going to buy up some Word Bearer doors because they're rad and just stick with a standard vehicle. I did try looking on eBay to see if I could find a supply from elsewhere but the minis market, like Chaos, is fickle. :(

Also from a Chaos Daemons perspective are Bloodletters a good buy? Since AP3 is heavily valued I figured they'd be a solid Troop for an Allied detachment.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ijyt posted:

EC: Fulgrim
WE, WB: Betrayer, The First Heretic
SoH: False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Vengeful Spirit

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

Lord Twisted posted:

Terror squads also have precision shot. Quite good in a realm of apothecaries and 2+ save sergeants.

I don't see where this is that they have precision shot? I am only vaguely familiar with the rules of each legion and like a lot of people here I am having trouble picking one...

panascope posted:

Play your space barbies how you want but remember that you're bitchmade if you don't side with Horus.

I am yet to understand why anyone would play as a loyalist legion.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thank you :)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I would even suggest reading Know No Fear to anybody interested in just how much fuckery the Word Bearers started going all in at Calth and the reaction it gets out of the Ultramarines.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AndyElusive posted:

I would even suggest reading Know No Fear if you're interested in knowing just how much fuckery the Word Bearers started by going all in at Calth and the reaction it gets out of the Ultramarines.

It's also about the best book out there for the Ultramarines. It shows them and especially Guilliman at their most human, fallible, and interesting.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

not lame! posted:

Facial Eagles.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

not lame! posted:

Because we love our Emperor and arent vile traitors.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to buy up some Word Bearer doors because they're rad and just stick with a standard vehicle. I did try looking on eBay to see if I could find a supply from elsewhere but the minis market, like Chaos, is fickle. :(

Also from a Chaos Daemons perspective are Bloodletters a good buy? Since AP3 is heavily valued I figured they'd be a solid Troop for an Allied detachment.

I don't know anybody who runs Daemon allies, actually. Sisko might have more info for you, but since they are one of the better 40K books, I imagine they'll be fairly solid in 30k land.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to buy up some Word Bearer doors because they're rad and just stick with a standard vehicle.

Look, all I'm saying is that doors are the easiest thing in the world to make copies of.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Don't know about Bloodletters specifically, but it does open the very unique option of running Be'lakor with his annoying Invisibility spell.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

Don't know about Bloodletters specifically, but it does open the very unique option of running Be'lakor with his annoying Invisibility spell.

I'm going to start with a "nice" friendly game list. Belakor is when I move into the "go gently caress yourself" lists later on. Belakor and a transfigured Lorgar running around as Invisibility bros sounds fun though!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Considering HH is basically historical 40K and my group is going to be playing the normal Heresy timeline, could I rightly give our Sons of Horus (loyalist) a bunch of poo poo if he plays Abaddon and Horus? I don't want to be a dick about it, it's plastic spacemen, he can barely play as it is, and Horus and Abaddon are cool and all...but playing them as loyalist post-Heresy?

Cythereal posted:

For Alpha Legion stolen units chatter, I don't actually play the tabletop myself ($$$ reasons mainly), but I run a Rogue Trader campaign and all of my players do play the strategy game as well. One plays Alpha Legion in 30k, so I asked her out of curiosity what she usually takes as her stolen unit. She says the Iron Warrior super terminators combined with the Alphas' mutable tactics have never let her down, though lately she's been trying borrowed Invictarus Suzerains (from the Ultramarines) for a melee-oriented list.

Thanks for that, good info! I'll put it in a Google Doc file I keep for notes.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Logar lost invisibility because it's a bullshit spell. If you do run invis daemons you should house rule it to be BS1 or something. They've been pretty good about keeping that sort of nonsense out of the game.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

krushgroove posted:

Considering HH is basically historical 40K and my group is going to be playing the normal Heresy timeline, could I rightly give our Sons of Horus (loyalist) a bunch of poo poo if he plays Abaddon and Horus? I don't want to be a dick about it, it's plastic spacemen, he can barely play as it is, and Horus and Abaddon are cool and all...but playing them as loyalist post-Heresy?

Just tell him that you know it's actually the Alpha Legion pretending to be Sons of Horus in order to sow confusion.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How do people build their Lerneans? Kitbashing or what?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm a little confused by one of the Rites of War limitations, which says that you may only take one Consul. Does this mean that you can't take more than one Centurion, since the Centurion has the Consul rule? Or does it mean that you can have multiple Centurions, but only one can be upgraded to a Chaplain/Forgelord/etc?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

not lame! posted:

With the potential to use the Chapter that you play in 40k's Primarch in 30k. I'm going to have the worlds biggest loyalist erection when Sanguinius comes out, it is just going to suck when Panascope's Horus kills him over and over again...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Stanyer89 posted:

With the potential to use the Chapter that you play in 40k's Primarch in 30k. I'm going to have the worlds biggest loyalist erection when Sanguinius comes out, it is just going to suck when Panascope's Horus kills him over and over again...

Might it induce you to fits of ... Black Rage? Do we need to consign you into the gentle care of the Death Company Chaplains now and save you the trouble later?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

boom boom boom posted:

Just tell him that you know it's actually the Alpha Legion pretending to be Sons of Horus in order to sow confusion.

Well I figured I'd sow confusion by using everyone's special snowflake units against them...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

krushgroove posted:

Thanks for that, good info! I'll put it in a Google Doc file I keep for notes.

According to my friend, the main value of bringing Tyrant Siege Terminators in an Alpha Legion list is the assumption that your Mutable Tactics is going to be Tank Hunters - something the Tyrants themselves can't typically get as part of an Iron Warriors list that makes them a lot more useful (and, incidentally, solves that Tyrants vs Fulmentari debate once and for all). Likewise with Invictarus Suzerains, bring them when you're intending to use Mutable Tactics to give them a trait they can't normally get that will improve their functionality significantly.

She says that's basically the key to maximizing Rewards of Treason's unique benefit: you can get Scout, Infiltrate, Tank Hunters, Counter Attack, Move Through Cover, or Adamantium Will on a unit that normally can't get that. Don't think of it as a special extra part of your army, think about "What can I get that's going to fill a role better than the mundane options I have for that task?"

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
How viable is a force of 'a poo poo-ton of Dreadnoughts' in 30K? I got a whole bunch of stuff from a friend earlier and I've been steadily painting them Death Guard. Adding the Calth box would pretty much let me field something like 2500-3000 points of Legion forces, especially as I was going to order in some of those badass Deathshroud.

What I'll end up with:

Praetor w/ Cataphractii Armor (still haven't decided the loadout)
Centurion (Chaplain, likely)

10 Cataphractii Terminators (2 flamers, 2 chainfists, sergeant with a power maul, 7 fists) - 400-ish points
10 Deathshroud Terminators - 410 points
5 Cataphractii Terminators (Lightning Claws) - 250 points, (holy gently caress a whole squad of 10 is going to be almost 500)

3 Dreadnoughts - TL-Lascannon and Missile Launcher or Power Fist with Heavy Flamer - 165/160 points apop, 495 / 480 for the lot
2 Dreadnoughts - Plasma Cannon and Power Fist w/ Heavy Flamer - 145p apop, 390 for the lot
Mortis-Contemptor Dreadnought (Chuck) - 2x Kheres Assault Cannon, Havoc Launcher - 195 points
Contemptor Dreadnought (Charlie) - Power Fist, Chainfist, 2x Meltagun - 215 points
Deredeo Dreadnought (Eddie) - Anvilus Autocannons, Aiolos Missile Launcher - 220 points

Legion Tactical Squad (20 men) - 250 points
Legion Breacher Squad (10 men) - 225 points

Legion Predator (Plasma Destoyer) - 110 points
Legion Sicaran Battle Tank - 135 points
Legion Fire Raptor Gunship - 200 Points

Typhon Heavy Siege Tank - 350 points

Plus a whole bunch for upgrades, sponsons, etc etc.

I have a friend who's increasingly burnt out on the Finnish 40K tournament scene (Eldar, Eldar, Tau,Tau, Tau). We're all getting Calth boxes and I think this'll make for a good chance to jump into 30K. I just have to resist the urge to order in a whole poo poo-ton of resin in one go - though I think I really need to get the terminators a Spartan for transport. I'm also likely going to get a couple of Legion apothecaries for the troop squads.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

I'm a little confused by one of the Rites of War limitations, which says that you may only take one Consul. Does this mean that you can't take more than one Centurion, since the Centurion has the Consul rule? Or does it mean that you can have multiple Centurions, but only one can be upgraded to a Chaplain/Forgelord/etc?

You nailed it. It's the latter- you can have as many centurions you can fit, but only one that's been upgreydded to be a consul. I don't know why you'd take a bare bones one though.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

not lame! posted:

Salamanders 4eva

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

BULBASAUR posted:

Logar lost invisibility because it's a bullshit spell. If you do run invis daemons you should house rule it to be BS1 or something. They've been pretty good about keeping that sort of nonsense out of the game.

Bulbasaur nailed it. In the newest book Lorgar lost access to telepathy and instead now has access Divination and Telekinesis. He can still pick and choose if he is transfigured and all that. I'm actually a fan of the change as it makes him an even better force multiplier. I also just hated invisibility (at least straight out of the book) on principle.

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't know anybody who runs Daemon allies, actually. Sisko might have more info for you, but since they are one of the better 40K books, I imagine they'll be fairly solid in 30k land.

As stated earlier I know very little about chaos demons and after much thought I thought I think the Cult lists make for better ally than demons and would probably be a lot more fun for the opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

BULBASAUR posted:

You nailed it. It's the latter- you can have as many centurions you can fit, but only one that's been upgreydded to be a consul. I don't know why you'd take a bare bones one though.

The only reason I can think of off the top of my head is to save a few points when you've already upgraded another Centurion to Praevian so you can bring in some Castellax.