Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

krushgroove posted:

Considering HH is basically historical 40K and my group is going to be playing the normal Heresy timeline, could I rightly give our Sons of Horus (loyalist) a bunch of poo poo if he plays Abaddon and Horus? I don't want to be a dick about it, it's plastic spacemen, he can barely play as it is, and Horus and Abaddon are cool and all...but playing them as loyalist post-Heresy?

Thanks for that, good info! I'll put it in a Google Doc file I keep for notes.

The Eye icon/watermark thingy on Horus' and Abaddon's pages means that they can't be Loyalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

The eye watermark just indicates Horus Heresy, but some characters have a special rule that specifically limits them to traitor or loyalist armies. This will never matter and can probably always be ignored. :v:

Not that watermark, there's a different one (at least in the red armylist books, don't know about the black.) Loyalists have an aquila.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Hey JackMack I would love some Sons of Horus shoulder pads if they're still available.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Why the gently caress does Garro have a master-crafted bolt pistol? He's got a two-handed sword and a fancy assault 3 bolter. It will never be used or have an impact on the game unless a player decides to specifically use it for shits and giggles. Seems like a fun character to use though.

I've noticed something about 30k characters. A bunch of them, primarchs included, have unique, master-crafted weapons in their fluff or descriptions, but they don't have the actual master-crafted special rule. You'd think, of all things, primarchs would get that on every weapon. Meanwhile, a praetor can slap it on just about any single weapon they own. Whatever.

Maybe there's a enemy squad with two dudes 5" away, one dude 7.5" away, and the rest 9" or more away, and you want to do some damage without potentially salting your charge?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Sigismund is neat, but Alexis is outstanding. Possibly the most undercosted character model in the game, in my opinion.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Re: Sons of Horus: for my basecoat I do two parts VGA electric blue to one part VMA camo green, washed in coelia greenshade. I can't find any pictures on my phone but I'll try to post some WIPs after work.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

Literally just received this book in the post, is it going to be updated then?

This is secondhand, from a podcaster who spoke to some Forgeworld leads at the last open day. As of September or so, a month or two before the release of Betrayal at Calth, it looked like the print run of red books would run out in early-to-mid next year. FW indicated that they wanted to do some cleanup before the next print run. FW was adamant that no rules would be changed, but they wanted to incorporate errata, correct typos, and POSSIBLY adjust point costs for some of the worst models (they know how bad Justaerin are).

My guess is that Betrayal at Calth has been significantly more effective as a 30k loss leader than they expected and that they've sold out of the red books several months early. Gun to my head, I'd guess that there would be a paperback or digital download stopgap, or even another full hardcover print run, before we see revised red books--there just hasn't been time for them to make the changes they were talking about. But I could be wrong.

I don't intend to sell my red books. I like them and if the rules themselves aren't changing, then I don't need to replace them, provided that I can get some sort of update PDF listing changes (which FW has been good about providing in the past, massive tardiness notwithstanding).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I do hope FW gives dreadnoughts more attacks (even though it'd be an actual rules change). But since Leviathan only has three base in its experimental rules, that seems unlikely.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

You guys are crazy. My Campaign Legion book sold less than a few hours after I put it up. For $70. I took pictures of my legion rules so there's no loss except calling out Panascope on his incessant cheating. I hope they run out of the other book so I can make double on it too.

Check your email :shobon:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

On the Leviathan Siege Dreadnought, if you take a claw on one arm and a drill on the other, can you freely choose which weapon profile to use? If so, why would you ever upgrade both arms to drills?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

That's really obnoxious, since a lot of the bolters on my guys are slung to the side rather than being held. Plus, it requires hacking off MkII and MkIII hands and replacing them with MkIVs. Thankfully, I already have all of the MkIII-related models I need, but now my MkIVs will need to hold their bolters, and I won't be adding any MkII.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Killer_Bees! posted:

Support marines drop podding/Rhinoing in with either Flamers, plasma or melta, can also be used to great effect in Zone Mortalis games.

No dedicated transports in Zone Mortalis games. (You might realize this already given your comma placement, but I want things to be as clear as possible for people less familiar with the absolute best 30k/40k format :shobon:)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DeadGame posted:

Here is a terminator I did as a test mini for the Alpha Legion project.

I need to get some medium to thin the glaze a bit, to make it easier to control...but even a slightly messy application still looks kind of cool.

Yeah, I decided to go with lightning claws + heavy flamer on the squad. It may not be very practical, but lightning claw cataphractii look bad rear end.

Lightning claw terminators are way better in 30k than 40k. I have a bunch of lightning claws on mine.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

That metallic red is pretty cool :shobon:

I actually dislike it. It reminds me of something really cheap and flimsy and domestic--birthday party hats, maybe? Tinsel? I can't quite place it.

Edit: I'm almost positive it's something edible

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Just discovered a new reason to hate the hands-on-guns thing: now if I want to paint the weapons separately, there's a parade of horribles to match hand-painted gauntlets to airbrushed arms and bodies (I play Sons of Horus).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hair straight down. People complain of too much wax. Wind through the hair. People complain of whipping hair. You just cant win.

It doesn't make sense for the hair to be whipping backward like that if he just touched down. The only way it'd be streaming behind him is in mid flight, and the impacting foot contradicts that. It should really be swaying forward, I think.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

He's landing, forward momentum, hair is going to blow upward because of the direction of his descent. It's frankly more attention to detail than most models in the GW/FW range get when it comes to dynamic poses of this sort.

While he's not my fave Primarch sculpt, I can appreciate it for what it's trying to do and for the most part it does it well and this is when it's completely unpainted.

The only thing about him I question is where the gently caress is his crazy whip?

Lorgar was the worst of the bunch and I don't even mind his model that much. Morty feels appropriately badass upon closer inspection IMHO.

Forward momentum means his hair would be forward, not back, because his hair would decelerate more slowly than his body (which is attached to his foot, which is clearly decelerating because it is plowing through debris). I liked the crazy jet wash explanation better.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

SRM posted:

I'm personally not a huge fan of the airbrushed greens - the lights, coils, etc. but everything else about those models is baller as hell.

100% agreed. Just personal preference though--if DrPop likes them, grats DrPop! And in my experience that sort of hyper-saturated OSL looks better on the table than on display .

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Painted a ton over the last couple of days while recovering from surgery. Among other things, I just about finished this Cataphractii sergeant:

I still need to add water effects and maybe decals eventually. Once my force is further along, I will probably add some more weathering and dings, too. But for now, the painting part is done.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Their unique units are great. Dark fury squads are cost effective for what you get, especially considering assault marines are overpriced normally- they're a very hard hitting jump pack unit. Mor Death squads are like elite recon marines and can have a nasty round of shooting. Raven Guard also get a special vehicle, the Darkwing Duckship, which is a storm eagle with lower transport capacity but is stealthy, which is really ideal for dropping said mor death squads on the flanks or on objectives.

General (Internet) consensus is that Raven Guard and Imperial Fists have the strongest legion rules at the moment.

I don't know if I'd call it consensus--Word Bearers are outstanding and a lot of people still think Iron Hands are top-tier. But Raven Guard are definitely up there. (That being said, I'm not really sure that the difference between the "best" Legion and the "worst" is really that significant these days.) Anyway, not really disagreeing, just commenting, especially since there are people out there who don't want to take the Very Best army and I wouldn't want the OP to avoid RG on that account.

Also, thanks for the compliments everybody! I should have some line troops finished up by the weekend.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DrPop posted:

Do Skitarii exist in 30k Hamtime? I'd really like to get some Mechanicum allies for my DG, and I like their models a lot more than the other FW Mechanicum stuff. Thallax are ok, but I feel like the rest are kinda silly.

Skitarii exist fluff-wise. You might want to run them as an allied detachment of Solar Auxilia or Imperialis Militia Grenadiers.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I keep hearing that they are going to port over the Skitarii manpiles (because common, who doesn't want more piles of men) but my gut feeling is that its just wish listing and not based on anything

At one point at a weekender in late 2014 Forge World explicitly said that they weren't going to do 30k Skitarii because they wanted to leave that design space open to 40k and GW Prime, but this was before 40k Skitarii were announced so it may have just been a smokescreen.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

My only thought is that when you're spending 64 points on additional hand weapons, not being allowed to run sort of sucks. Also, I think artificer armor would be a better buy for your Apothecaries than power swords.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Fumble posted:

So they are pushing 3 books for £195 + postage that will be junk in the next few months?

I don't think they're reprinting those books. The rules in them will be invalidated by the reprinted red books, but the original red books already make the Istvaan Trilogy redundant at best. At this point people buy the big black books for fluff and pictures and completionism. Also, FWIW, shipping on that bundle is free.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

I like the black books. Fluff, campaigns, scenarios and so on.

Yeah me too. I'm not a habitual collector by any stretch, but I'm planning on collecting those books just because they're so beautifully made and have so much great non-mechanical content. Sticker shock is understandable, but they're less than twice as expensive as 40k Codexes and have much, much more than twice the value in my opinion, and orders of magnitude more effort and love went into them.

Edit: I should add that I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on textbooks over the years; $100 for a giant leather-bound volume is easier to swallow when you've been forced to pay $150 for a tedious 120-page paperback that you'll use for four months and never see again. Also I should add that 40k Codexes are massively overpriced--I just don't think the 30k books are.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Trying to build an army without the BattleScribe files or a PDF version is basically an exercise in madness.
But yeah, they're beautiful books and I'm glad I bought them.

Oh, for army building I absolutely recommend the redbooks or PDFs. I don't really feel bad about the latter since at this point I own all five blackbooks plus the two redbooks. It's not so bad when you're just checking the Militia or Solar Auxilia list or whatever but it's not a good long-term solution by any means. Thank god that new Army/Knight redbook is coming out soon.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 18, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Reynold posted:

I've been eyeballing the Victory is Vengeance campaign from book three as a way to get myself and perhaps a few others into 30k recently. If anyone has participated in one, or run the tactical strike rules at all, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

I'm in a VIV campaign right now, with fellow goon Arven, and I'd love to answer questions about it. One thing that's worth mentioning up front is that it is inherently asymmetrical and requires active structural decisions from its players--it's intentionally impossible to play it without discussing how you want to assign objectives, whether and when you want objectives to be hidden versus public knowledge, and how many objectives everyone has.

For example, ours is a two-player campaign. I'm Exterminators, Arven is Survivors. Survivors have a big uphill battle on the campaign level so we wanted to give them an edge at the mission level--it helps cultivate a real "winning the battle, losing the war" vibe. Each game, unless players want to invoke the Legendary Missions that become available at different times:

The Exterminators player can either randomly generate one objective and keep it secret, or choose one objective that is public knowledge.
The Survivors player can either randomly generate two objectives and have them be public knowledge, or choose one objective and keep it secret.

There are some nuances and caveats, but that should give you a sense of the vibe we want.

Arven is playing Militia, representing the resisting planetary defense force, and I'm playing a mix of warp cultists and Sons of Horus (with higher concentrations of marines as the invaders realize the scale of the problem). My most recent list was:

Hero: Centurion with Cataphractii terminator armor and chainfist
Leader: Grenadier Custodian with power weapon
(I had another Leader but he died in our first game and I haven't been able to afford another.)

Dreadnought w/ 2x CCW/Heavy Flamer arms (145)
Veteran w/ power sword (25)
5 Breachers, melta gun (65)
17 Levied Auxiliaries (34)
Grenadier w/ Flamer (10)
Grenadier w/ heavy stubber (10)
2 Seekers (30)
Tarantula w/ rotor cannons (30)
=350 (Plentiful Personnel)

I love VIV. Maybe I can take pictures of my force later.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DrPop posted:

I think the Headhunters look cool. Also.

Forge World I will edit your copy for free if you send me plastic dolls.

"Sow descent" as in "ladypigs from above." It's a reference to their helmets, god.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Helicon One posted:

Is that a mk VI helmet? in 30k?

Post-Isstvan, Alpha Legion and Raven Guard have good access to MkVI, and the other Legions could easily have looted some by the later stages of the war.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

That was never in question.

The comma is appropriate because it's imperative, so "you" is implied as the noun before each verb: "[You s]ow d[iss]ent, and [you] destroy the heart of your enemy's army."

I listen to After Ullanor, The Overlords, The Imperial Truth, and of course The Independent Characters. Are there any other good 30k podcasts I should listen to?

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 30, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Killer_Bees! posted:

Eye of Horus podcast is everything we Aussie love about a podcast, drinking, bad language, and fantastic topical divergence, but seriously it's pretty ace.

Yeah I found this yesterday. My wife ran upstairs at one point because she thought I was weeping, but I had actually just reached a sequence where they were talking about sperm whales and how many rat-sized cats Rogal Dorn could handle while buried up to his neck. Long story short it's perfect (at least for me).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Karandras posted:

Wait, the headhunter kill team have BS5 and preferred enemy Infantry, so they hit on a 2+ and reroll 1's, so why do they have combi-bolters?

Land speeders and bikes?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

That's a big tank, Ghost Hand. I always loved that turret and +1 on those heat effects. If that thing did haywire in addition to it's regular profile it would absolutely wreck face. Are you gonna keep it glossy?

I thought it did have haywire?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

With massive thanks to Bulbasaur for ongoing love and support and the chain idea, here are my Breachers. They still need water effects and dullcote, but I was too excited to wait:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

My dude, these own. You have any shots of individual models? Wanna check out all those sick little conversions.

Yeah I'll snap daylight yearbook photos once I finish their goddamn bases. I need to switch to a different water effects brand because my current one looks okay but takes like five loving layers.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

That must be the new jump battle automata. Or the Domitar? My dark admech grows stronger! Also:

First thought is that 'Istvaan Legions' are no longer a thing, which is good. We expected this. Second thought is- god loving damnit. They spend time to reprint the book and make edits right when the new leather book is about to drop with 4 new legions. Good thing they decided not to wait one month and include them all. Now we have to haul around more books and they'll have no choice but to reprint it a third and fourth time to milk more money out of us. Glad I sold mine for $70. gently caress.

Ehhhh even if they stuck White Scars, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels pages in there they'd still have to reprint after they get full releases in 2017/2018. I'm not crazy about them doing this but I think it'd be weirder for them to just add 3-6 total teaser pages total and then sell the same six pages to us in Not Age Of Darkness Legions.

Edit: I own the first five black books but I don't haul them around, I just use my red books plus PDFs or phone pictures of the handful of additional pages I need. Usually what I'm referencing is campaign rules and stuff that wouldn't go in new red books anyway.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 3, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I got that trilogy a few weeks ago (taking advantage of the same sale) when Carl announced the return of the ICs. No regrets!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

1) Did any other Sons of Horus stuff get changed?

2) What's the new SoH rite of war?

3) Did Red Butchers or Gal Vorbak get needed at all? (I'm not really clear on whether the new red book is present--is it?)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

LordAba posted:

Wait, so the leviathan dred is in here, but what rulebook has the Doritos dreds?

Tempest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Dorn lost unwieldy, making him decent in close combat. You can take phalanx warders as troops, any infantry unit can buy teleport arrays for a cost, units gain shrouded the turn they arrive via teleport array, plus enemy units with LoS and within 12" of the teleporting unit must take a blind test at the of the phase. Pretty good.

Ultramarines have a ROW where they must take a Cult/Milita allied detachment with gene-crafted and warrior discipline provenances. All infantry units in the allied detachment gain infiltrator and implacable advance. Recon marines lose 'support squad' rule. Seems decent if you build your allied detachment around the infiltration.

SoH changes other than Justaerin?