Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Not a viking posted:

What happened to the last thread?

Nothing worth discussing, to be honest.

So FW newsletter is out and just hinting at the Calth stuff being revealed tomorrow. Or maybe they are showing new stuff to go along with the pre-orders? Would be cool.

P.s. gently caress the casting of the Sicaran tank, what a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

As bad as the Fire Raptor or? Sicarans are pretty ace, but is the kit particularly awful to build?

The Fire Raptor had two versions, so I can't comment on the second. But it's not as bad as version one. Still there's some annoying things.

Gaps between the tread and hull parts that you can't bend. The resin gates on the thread are annoyingly placed and also cause the armor plates they are attached to to cave in. poo poo tons of bubbles on the treads, but thankfully mostly on the bottom.

It's not a massive pain except for the big gap between treads/hull. Note: this is from when the Sicaran was first released, so maybe it's better now.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Is it a new one? I know they've completely rejigged the molds for the Sicaran as it was loving awful.

Oh there we go then, it's a very early one. Good to know they got fixed because I want more, it's such a cool unit.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

So...maybe this is a silly question, but if someone is playing Loyalist Sons of Horus or any other traitor legion, are they allowed to take Horus or whoever the corresponding Primarch is?

In normal games? Yeah, totally.
If you want to follow the FW campaign rules to the letter? No.

It's rarely a problem anyway, except for the odd case where you want to run multiple special characters.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

ForgeWorld is doing Sisters of Silence, right? Are they just gonna be some troops you can take as part of another army, or an entire army of their own?

No information yet, other than that they are coming in Book 7 along with Space Wolves, Thousand Sons and Custodes.
My guess is that any (loyal?) army will get to pick up some Sisters, but they won't be a self-operating force.

Which actually makes me wonder how FW plans on balancing Thousand Sons. The Mhara Ghal and the Word Bearer's rite of war seriously gently caress up psychers of all types.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

They don't really exist as an entire army though. They're purely around as a support group to block psykers.

They do seem to do their own shtick, but it's mainly Imperium-based. Hunt rogue psykers, crewing the black ships, etc.
The great crusade is when they started to help out legions deal with alien psykers, and then into the big legion PvP match.

That's why I can't see them getting a full army. Maybe at best like the Book 1 mechanicum: an HQ and troops, just enough to represent battlefield-level leadership.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Betrayal at Calth is live.
The pics showing the set fully painted in both color schemes is really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what people end up doing with those.

On the other hand, the paint job on the contemptor is garish as gently caress. Kind of fitting for Word Bearers though.

And as suspected, FW has put up a ton of army deals to combine with the box. No idea if they have any savings, but since it's FW... probably!

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 6, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

315 Dollarydoos!?! :monocle:

It pales in comparison to the FW bundle at almost 900 pounds which consists of "we need to make a big bundle just throw together whatever you can grab that looks like a tank and call it a day - oh and a techmarine too". It's so bizarre.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

It also appears to include three copies of the board game.

Well then.

I saw a couple of posters at Bolter & Chainsword mention they are picking 2-3 boxes on day 1, so that part isn't too weird all things taken into account.

Kind of funny they'll throw away all the cardboard though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I dig the pictures of the Betrayal at Calth marines painted as different legions on the page for each Task Force.

A lot of them seem pretty rushed though like the Dark Angels and the Salamanders.

Every single one is rushed. The lovely chest emblem on the blood angel, the big wash splotches on the alpha, the blocky shading on the white scars' legs, etc.

It's basically FW being given the models at the last minute most likely. Kind of charming, in a battle damage and grim kind of way.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I know batch painting can be a chore for a lot of people, and it lends to lazy paint jobs from time to time. It's just funny to see such low quality come out from FW/GW, but I can understand why it ended up like that.

There's a lot more effort put on the GW side this time around (since these are used for promo), kind of amusing to compare.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Recoome posted:

I'm actually surprised at how good the Iron Warriors look, the paintjob is shithouse but the helmets actually look okay.

An Iron Warrior not covered in poo poo is an Iron Warrior not doing his job.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

What are the chances we will see assault squads rebalanced for points cost in the new red book? I really want to do BA with jump packs all over. But urgh :negative:

Not outside the realm of possibilities. FW tends to be somewhat attentive to general feedback and sneak in little updates as new books come out (e.g. Justaerin point drop, alternate World Eater legion bonus, etc).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

So pre-orders are up. Wayland Games is doing 10% off but doesn't have free shipping so you save a princely £3.15, which for the random time the thing will turn up means you may as well buy it in store. Wayland are also incorrectly labelling it as limited edition.

Can anyone point me towards the best deal for Betrayal at Calth.

Something like Dark Sphere maybe? They have it for 71.25 pounds.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Spartan tank with dragon skull is radical.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

How will the Calth bix work with Emperors Children, I think it came up in the old thread but phone posting and everything is slow and poo poo.

Pretty good. EC are generalists with a melee focus, where they want to hit hard before the opponent can retaliate and odds are will win combat resolution. Reserve and Outflanking fuckery is another facet of theirs.
Just don't let your unique units (Palatine, Phoenix, anyone carrying the legion-unique Spears) get charged and don't expect much out of the Kakophoni (better against solar auxillia than marines).
Next book though EC are getting a rite of war centered on Kakophoni units, so maybe they'll get a utility increase.
And remember that EC love challenges, so be careful that your sarges don't get punked by accident because they don't have the gear to back up the challenges.

Everything in the box can be used well enough with them and a Chaplain Consul is perfect; the contemptor can also be used as Ancient Rylanor.

If you want to bolster the box's contents, then assault transports would be good.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 8, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what are the chances the 30k DA will be as bad as 40k?

alternatively, we don't even have any rules for DA in the pipeline, right?

Book 6 will have DA legion rules and two rites of war, but no unique units yet. Same for BA and WS.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

not lame! posted:

What is the difference between a Night Lord Terror Squad and a standard tactical squad?

Infiltrating, Fear-causing marines with Preferred Enemy: Characters that can take a Dreadclaw and have some different weapon choices (e.g. giving everyone volkite chargers [15" 5/5/rear end 2/Deflagrate]).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I've decided on AL, one of the things I'll be getting after the Calth box is a Word Bearers Gal Vorbak squad and maybe a Night Lords Terror Squad. I've got a couple of old school Rhino models and just got a Fire Raptor, and I'll probably get Sicarans or something next year. Then maybe the Imperial Fists mega-terminators just for laughs.

Keep in mind a couple of things about that ability to incorporate another legion-specific units:

1. It's part of their Rite of War (Coils of the Hydra).
2. There's a lot of restrictions attached to it. One extra compulsory troop choice; all units must have a dedicated transport or be able to Deep Strike or Infiltrate; only one Consul allowed.
3. It's still just one unit. Not unit type; a singular unit.

This makes Coils pretty drat hard to use at low points, and still very restrictive at higher levels.

e. Assembled my old Sicaran at last. Kind of sad the pieces fit kinda of bleh at the back, but it was already a pain enough to fix and adjust.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 8, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Can Word Bearers be grey or were they all red by the Heresy?

Great Crusade - Grey.
Early Heresy - Grey, Gal Vorbak/Serrated Suns in Red.
Heresy - Progressively everyone started shifting to red.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Is there a similar color guide for Dark Angels? I know there's no color plates for them yet as their black book isn't out yet, but one of the players in my group is doing DA and wants me to paint them for him. They seem to be black with silver and white bits, and red wings on the shoulder pauldrons: https://goo.gl/photos/qfMoa3xkiJuN1Nav6

There's a lot of variation within each legion (especially since the HH books fleshed out the various sub-groups), go for what you think might look coolest.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 8, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Going off what I'm reading, doesn't Coils also forbid traitor units from taking any of their home legion's unique wargear, and swap their home legion's rules for the Alpha's? So Imperial Fists terminators (something he mentioned as something he wanted to grab) would just be bog standard Alpha Legion terminators - what makes Fist terminators really good is their legion's rules and equipment.

Imperial Fists don't have a unique terminator option, so that's not something Rewards can be used on.
But of those unique units, they can take any cool toys that are on the unit's entry... but not the toys that are in the Legion entry.

E.g. steal some Word Bearers, but you can't equip tainted weapons (not an option on the unit entries).
Meanwhile you can steal Firedrake Terminators and give them Dragonscale stormshields, because despite those being Legion gear, the option to buy them is duplicated in their entry.

Kind of weird and messy if you're not careful.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 9, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ro5s posted:

This is all very speculative, I don't know if I'd ever get into 30k, but how are Death Guard? Is the Calth box a good starting point for them? What's a good playstyle for them?

Fearless footsloggers who give no fucks about pinning and natural dangerous terrains. As a penalty, they have a -1 modifier to sweeping advances. They just don't care about chasing fools.
Gear-wise, they can replace their flame weapons' fuel with chemicals, giving them Shred + Gets Hot! Finally they get Power Scythes, which allows them to smack every model in base contact.

Both of their unique units are terminators. Deathshroud are the only ones with two wounds (but still T4) and all get scythes. Grave Wardens are chemical experts, totting toxic grenade launchers and fighting at short range.
Mortarion himself is, amusingly, the fastest primarch around and doesn't particularly need a vehicle to reach melee. He just teleports around the battlefield until he reaches something to slice up.

Their rite of war, the reaping, is just doubling down on their traits. More infantry-carried heavy weapons, Move Through Cover, rad grenades all over. For the price of: lowering FA slots to one, never running or going flat-out, and never using deep strike. Gotta go slow.

The Calth box is good because this is one of the legions that wants to run a lot of infantry and specifically has a RoW that demands more infantry. Infantry and siege tanks.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 9, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

not lame! posted:

I am yet to understand why anyone would play as a loyalist legion.

Facial Eagles.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to buy up some Word Bearer doors because they're rad and just stick with a standard vehicle. I did try looking on eBay to see if I could find a supply from elsewhere but the minis market, like Chaos, is fickle. :(

Also from a Chaos Daemons perspective are Bloodletters a good buy? Since AP3 is heavily valued I figured they'd be a solid Troop for an Allied detachment.

Don't know about Bloodletters specifically, but it does open the very unique option of running Be'lakor with his annoying Invisibility spell.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Don't have a chance to look into the details, but at 2k points it's now possible to encounter Baby's First Lord of War, the Typhon, bane of footslogger lists.
You might want to look into other options for dealing with it and other tough vehicles, but otherwise it looks quite alright. You might benefit from juggling points around and fielding Zardu Layak eventually, since he's fantastic with Gal Vorbak.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Kheres Contemptor massively benefits from a pod because of the short range.
Which is to say, if you're footslogging the dread and want AA/DS protection then a Deredeo with Anvilus Autocannons is going to be a much more reliable unit.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

So what's considered a good "deathstar" for Word Bearers? Beside the Gal Vorbak they don't have anything especially unique and while awesome the Gal are certainly defeatable and don't score.

Probably Zardu Layak and a full Gal Vorbak. Zardu gets to pick his powers, so you can automatically get Cursed Earth and maintain a 4++. He's also naturally T5 like his daemon buddies.
The biggest problem with deathstars is that a low points they're a big commitment, and at 2k and above points they are likely to get splattered by a 350 points Typhon.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Stanyer89 posted:

Alpha Legion? I see the free hand 3 headed hydra on the shoulder pad.

These are obviously from the

legion

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TKIY posted:

Hello there, beautiful...

Looks like GW is including points and stat lines for both 30k and 40k separately now: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/LeviathanSiegeDreadnoughtRules.pdf

The dreadnought iron warriors deserve.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DeadGame posted:

Do we think we'll see Forge World stuff in stores any time, or is this going to be a mail order game? Takes forever to get things from the UK.

That's deeply unlikely to ever happen, as things stand.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hixson posted:

Somewhere between mid next year and never

You're going to jinx it damnit

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

No, it's me. I'm Alpharius

Alpha Legion stole your IW upgrade kits.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

"The primarchs kept asking for bigger transports, so eventually we gave up on making new templates and just tapped together some rhinos and landraiders."

Looks cool.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Just got my typhon tank, I'd like to know who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to attach the resin gates directly on the tracks :shepicide:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

panascope posted:

There's a lot of goofy poo poo like that in Forgeworld models. The Dreadclaw requires you to cut the attachment points off a regular drop pod door as part of its assembly.

It's a small price to pay to field Baby's First Lord of War. FW also sent me the replacement parts that I was missing for my Sicaran, so that one is now fully assembled and ready to paint :dance:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

So if i pick up a Calth box and decide to go Word Bearers. Could I proxy my 40k Possessed as Gal Vorbak or are these significantly bigger?

Edit: I went to the Dark sphere site this morning. They had new stock in 6 in stock, 10 copies coming in. I went and made a cup of tea and checked my email. Refreshed the page 15 minutes later and they'd all gone. This thing really does seem to be selling like gangbusters.

They are noticeably bigger, but the only important part is the larger base.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
40mm, they're basically tall terminators.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

In a game system where Psykers appear to be more rare it seems like investing in some Chaos daemons and specifically the Grimoire of True Names might be a good way to bolster a full Gal Vorbak unit, especially if you include Zardu Layak for a Cursed Earth cast. A 2+ invulnerable 2/3rds of the time would really help a giant footslogging unit.

Am I crazy or does this seems like a solid way to go?

Zardu Lalafell/Gal Vorbak/Cursed Earth is a very nice combo. Don't think I've seen Grimoire factor into it before, but if it works why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shazaminator posted:

Speaking of which, other than Pride of the Legion, which legions have ways of getting units other than tac/assault squads as compulsory troops? I know there's Maloghurst for Reavers and Zardu Lardass for Ashen Circle, do the other legions have anything?

Sons of Horus: Reavers and Veterans via their RoW.
Night Lords: Terror Squads as Compulsory via their RoW.
Death Guard: Veterans and Heavy Supports as non-Compulsory via their RoW.
Salamanders: Pyroclasts as non-Compulsory via their RoW.
Iron Warriors: Tyrants as (non-Compulsory?) via their RoW.

There's probably more but I can't remember what the other legions get from their RoW.