Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TKIY posted:

So are the Graviton rapiers the best all around rapier option? Good against power armour, terminators and high av models.

Quad-Mortars can royally gently caress up large swathes of the battlefield. Graviton Rapiers though are one of the best means of removing spartans and similar chassis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Mortis dreadnoughts are cheaper. They always have the same weapons, and are bought as singles. They are in Bk 2 and the red book.

A Mortis-Contemptor is 155 pts, and each Kheres is 25 points.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oops, double checked and that's right.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Stanyer89 posted:

Stay tuned for next week's episode.

Are you taking donations? It's kinda tempting to give you an old metal dread and hearing a week later about who got sent to the hospital with a concussion.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

If Stanyer destroys my models I think I would just hang my head down and stop playing forever.

Some suggestions:

code:
Legiones Astartes (Space Wolves)
-Units with the Legiones Astartes (space wolves) have the furious charge special rule. In addition at the beginning of a game turn, and only once per game, you may elect to reroll all failed charge distances by units in your primary detachment. All units with Legiones Astartes (space wolves) gain Hatred (Legiones Astartes) during this turn.
-May not use librarians, destroyers, phosphex weapons, moritats, forge lords, or rad-weaponry. Must always issue and accept challenges. 
-Units with the Legiones Astartes (space wolves) must always pass a leadership check using a units lowest value before charging psykers or units with the Daemon special rule

Wargear
-A character with Legiones Astartes (space wolves) may upgrade a power weapon to have +1S for an additional 5 points
-A independent character with the Legiones Astartes (space wolves) special rule may purchase a Runic Storm Shield for 30pts. Runic storm shield confer a 3+ invulnerable save.
-Infantry and Jump infantry may exchange their CCW and pistol for a heavy chainsword or chainaxe and pistol for no additional cost.
Not even going to attempt the ROW and unique unit stuff. That takes a lot of effort to balance.

I thought the wolves were actually able to resist the warp a bit better than average because of all the fetishistic crap they wear? Then again it's been forever since I read Prospero Burns.

Also you mentioned that you had some TS house rules, mind posting them? I'm working on my own set because gently caress waiting.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Neato, seems overall pretty similar to what I was drafting up. Here's my take on them, with some of your thoughts:

quote:

- Legion of Psykers: Modified rules for Preators, Librarians, Praevians and Sergants.

Changes:
- Praetors have Mastery Level 1 by default, and can buy an additional 3 Mastery Levels at 25 points each. A Praetor must be one Mastery Level higher than Librarians in the same detachement.
- Librarians lose their non-compulsory status, can buy up to ML3. A Librarian must be one Mastery Level higher than Sergeants in the same detachement.
- Praevians are no longer HQ, but an Elite choice. (Cataphracts)
- Sergeants (and equivalent unit leaders) can upgrade to ML1 for 20 points.

- Psychic Mastery: Discard the BRB rules for generating powers; after all units have been deployed on both sides, declare which Cult (discipline) each Psyker belongs to and roll 2d6 for each ML point, choosing between the two results for powers. Doubles let you pick a specific power and ML3 and ML4 psykers know their entire discipline's repertoire.

- Tutelary "Companion": Psykers have a 4+ special save to ignore effect of Perils and Word Bearers ID poo poo. If the save against Perils is failed, the power still goes off but the opponent controls it and it behaves as if originating from his/her army.

- Enumerations: Psykers activate warp charges on a 3+, and grant a +1 bonus to deny the witch to their unit.

- Legion Wargear (Heqa Staff): Any psyker can replace a power weapon with a Heqa Staff. One-handed force staff stats, increases the Tutelary "Companion" save to a 3+.

- Legion Disciplines:

Biomancy / Pavoni
P: Smite
1: Enfeeble
2: Life Leech
3: Endurance

Divination / Corvidae
P: Prescience
1: Forewarning
2: Perfect Timing
3: Precognition

Pyromancy / Pyrae
P: Spontaneous Combustion
1: Fire Shield
2: Inferno
3: Molten Beam

Telekinesis / Raptora
P: Telekine Dome
1: Assail
2: Levitation
3: Psychic Maelstrom

Telepathy / Athanaeans
P: Psychic Shriek
1: Dominate
2: Terrify
3: Mental Fortitude

No invisibility, tightened up the disciplines a bit so even Pyromancy should feel like a valid choice.
Not sure how to represent them getting screwed over by the flesh change.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's Garro time!

Not quite as insane as some people thought he'd be, but he's got some neat tricks.
e. Wait no, he's got Eternal Warrior. That's a pretty drat sweet deal for 175 points and his special victory conditions can easily be handled. drat.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 27, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
[Screaming psychically]

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Lookin' forward to their special rules all being hot garbage like all other instances of Thousand Sons. :smith:

That's the beauty of 30k, they can't gently caress poo poo up THAT bad because of the shared core of units. Right? Right????
(More seriously, seeing how even the "worst" legions still have lots of cool poo poo going on, I'm not worried. Right? Right????)

Hixson posted:

YES YES YEEEESSSSS

Kinda wish they'd use the version with the corner filigree/indents, but these are still sick as hell.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Dare you enter my magical realm?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

My first horus heresy marine :toot:
C&C please?

This is loving ace, and I'm typically picky about SoH greens.

Now do the other 19 bros too!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Just in time for an early February update!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

+++ Blood Angels (2500pts) +++

So, at 2k and above things start to really depend on your local meta/players. With that in mind:
First, Lords of War become options. A single Typhon will wreck all infantry and anything not-Spartan with every shot it makes. Even Primarchs are scared of a Typhon in range to steamroll them over.
Second, because of said LoW and also due to points making the Spartan & Deathstar combo alluring, you see Graviton Rapiers and Graviton Dreadnoughts appear to wreck both.

So either/or of these will demolish huge chunks of your army... if people in your area bother.

Otherwise, you're running two dreadnoughts: one is short range, the other is mid range, and neither has a mean of getting quickly in the enemy's face. I'd say either you have AV saturation or you pod your dreads or you give them the weapons to sit back.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
To be fair, as a model the Spartan is cool as hell.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Harnessing the awesome might of Ulillillia, the Ordinatus Ulator ululates across the battlefield, depressing everyone.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Worth noting that the Horus Heresy Weekender tickets are on sale.
Since I'm going to be not too far this year, I bought a seat. Anyone else planning to be there?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Well, wish I hadn't just bought all that white primer.

Wink wink

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Germ posted:

Where are all these new chapter splash-pages coming from? New HH book on the horizon? If so, any clue of the release date?

Posters at Warhammer World. And to preempt the question, the new book coming out in February has nothing to do with Thousand Sons/Space Wolves. What's in though is:

New rites for existing legions. Kakophoni-booster for EC, hoarded/stolen/diverted supplies giving SoH limited twin-linked, Iron Warriors charging past their own artillery shells crashing around them. That last one is kind of hilarious.
Legion rules + rite(s) for Blood Angels, Dark Angels, White Scars. Meaning no units, just the basics to run your legion.
Rules for playing as Blackshields (banded loyalists from traitor legions) and Shattered Legions (banded marines of various provenance that have given up or gone rogue).
Rules for Knight-Errants (proto Grey Knights). Not sure if there's more than just Garro planned for the book though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hail Satan.

e.

Hencoe posted:

I'm gettin real sick of gal vorbak, like 5 or 6 of the local guys getting into heresy are playing word bearers, and they all (obviously) have gal vorbak, and I'm the guy trying to get the community going so I'm playing everyone.

Just ugh.

Are you looking forward to book 6's RoW that makes Gal Vorbak troops? Hail Satan indeed.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 7, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

I think I previously saw your stuff in the WIP thread? Looks awesome and that simple head & sword swap on the chaplain is ace.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Strike Captain Alvarex Maun 140
Primus Medicae: artificer armour; power weapon; jump pack 130

14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250
9 Tactical Support Marines: volkite chargers; + 1 Tactical Support Sergeant 225
Drop Pod 35
14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon
Contemptor Dreadnought: dreadnought close combat weapon (graviton gun); dreadnought close combat weapon (graviton gun) 205
Dreadnought Drop Pod 65

8 Dark Furies: + 1 Chooser of the Slain 295
Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter: twin-linked autocannon; 2× 2 kraken penetrator heavy missiles; battle servitor control; ground-tracking auguries; ramjet diffraction grid 250

Fire Raptor Gunship 200

Corvus Corax: Rite of War (Decapitation Strike) 450

2.495 points

poo poo is scary, but you're going to have a bad time if there's augury scanners on the other side.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Speaking of things not fun to play against, how can Mechanicum deal with flyers outside of bringing their own? I had to improvise yesterday by having my Myrmidons chip away at my opponent's Fire Raptor and Storm Eagle, with the former spending the game gleefully harassing my poor Thallax, though part of that was my opponent "Forgetting" that jinking reduces you to snap shots, every turn.

No flyers of your own?

Tarantula turrets with Hyperios missiles, optionally the command platform. That's in the neighborhood of 150-160 points for 3 and command? These will definitely piss off flyers.
Barring that, Icaran Thallax but that's expensive and, I think, not possible for all the mechanicum factions (Reductor, Cybernetica, Taghmata). Djinn-Sight is nice vs jinking though.
Barring THAT, twin-linked whatever and pray to the emperor that your opponent stops loving cheating flip the table and ram your thanatar down his throat until he chokes

alternatively do that:

panascope posted:

Always
Be
Cheating

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 9, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

I intend to play my ravenguard as alpha legion aswell. Probably, who knows, maybe. Also, how the hell do I make a good-looking landspeeder.

by buying javelins or a bar of deodorant

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Javelins cant get gravguns.

Better start shopping for deodorant then

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

No ham knows how to do that, who are you kidding

Shhh, people need to be eased into the concept.

e. vvvv I have the Lupercal and Sons of Horus green paints. They work perfectly fine with a brush. They thin well and have good pigment density, unlike the Vallejo reds that make me want to die.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 9, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

Now would I buy Alpha legion models and paint them World Eaters? Buy any model I want, say there Alpha legion and paint them World Eaters? Am I right in thinking Alpha legion can have any troop from any legion, pre or post heresy?

I really like blue/white colour scheme.

Pretty much. The simplest way is use AL rules, AL models, paint them WE colors.
Take it a step further, and look where you can use WE models to proxy certain elements of the AL. For example, you could have fun with giving AL power daggers a WE-ish look.

You can't, on the other hand, pick the WE unique units and run them (as in use their real rules) in your AL army. At least not without allies or one very specific situation (their rite of war, Coils of the Hydra), but you don't want to get into that yet.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DeadGame posted:

If you need the army list rules, get the red "Legiones Astartes" book from forge world. It also has an affordable price. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy-Legiones-Astartes-Crusade-Army-List)

Legion specific special rules are in another book that is currently sold out.

Wait until February before you buy any book.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Fearless posted:

Imagine how pissed Angron would be if he discovered he had actually been leading Alpha Legion troops all along

Imagine how pissed Alpharius would be if he discovered Angron had implanted the nails into his troops and they were all going insane and becoming incapable of much more than "charge, swing, if still alive repeat procedure".

Like seriously, that would suck.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh drat, FW just updated all of their weapon sets to include a hand, for compatibility with Betrayal models. The future is now!

E. Have fun cutting hands off the FW resin dudes.

E2. Once again Chinaman comes to the rescue.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
1. Now it's easier than ever to magnetize heavy weapons! Not sure why you'd do that overall, but eh.

2. Holy poo poo that ZM board owns.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Would anyone bitch and scream if I used a mix of 25mm, 30mm and 32mm bases for my PA models?

I have a ton of resin bases and there's no way I'm not using the 25/30mm ones.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hixson posted:

Another batch of dudes ready for basing!

drat.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
That leviathan weapon looks like a bunch of vehicle exhaust pipes taped together.

The Forge-Master didn't get what the troops meant by "something new to smoke out the enemy".

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
oh my loving god

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's good stuff for the rank and file. It feels s bit weak compared to, say, the Ultra stuff, but it's a good start.

I don't get why they didn't do the fancy trims or the more classical helmets from the artwork though. Still getting 30 mk4 tho.

e. That Command Damocles fits like poo poo, wow. The whole drat thing would require green stuff to make it fit without gaps all over. it's the Fire Raptor all over again.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 18, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

xutech posted:

There's no thematic connection to the Thousand sons Pharoah hats at all. And do they have to be red?

To be fair, these guys are the mooks of the army. The distinctive feature is a small crest on the helmet, which these heads all have in different ways. The other feature is the ornamental indents in the shoulders, but was likely dropped for the sake of compatibility with the existing range.

Not even Ahriman wears a tall crested helmet. It's more about scarabs overall. I'm guessing we'll see the crazy poo poo in the unique units and characters, or a command upgrade.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I beg to differ

The best upgreyyd kit for the best legion.

(Random thing, but I was looking through my visions of heresy books last week and noticed what I think is an iron warrior super-heavy tank that had a bunch of those stars on it)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Coloured metallics is something I've seen from a guy on the FB group 'Eavier Metal.

Did some beautiful wine red Word Bearers and is doing some Salamanders now.

Is it this guy?

His stuff is amazing.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Thousand Sons have their upgrade kits now, suppose you could add that. Do we have a confirmed date for when the next book (And probably the updated Legion Red Books) is due to come out?

February most likely, since that's the 2016 big Forge World HH event. Incidentally, anyone headed there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Your Palatines really want a transport with an assault ramp, if you can.