Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
crossposting my review of the Eye of Horus podcast: These guys curse more than I did as a 14-year old (probably equivalent to a 10-year old cursing nowadays). It's sooo loving annoying to have fuckin cursing every other fuckin word? Can't fuckin believe how much they fuckin F-bomb every fuckin thing? But the shows have a lot of info in them - the last episode featured a rundown of classic 80's sci-fi and comic books that inspired 30K and 40K. But they'd be 10x better if they cut the cursing by 90%.

Also must give a shout-out to The Independent Characters podcast, they have lots of 30K-oriented episodes including reviews and in-depth talk about all the black books up to book 5 I think, plus how to get started in 30K cheaply (already outdated but still good info).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So...maybe this is a silly question, but if someone is playing Loyalist Sons of Horus or any other traitor legion, are they allowed to take Horus or whoever the corresponding Primarch is?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm going to get mine from Dark Sphere, the release came at a bad time for me so I'm glad it's not limited. Ebay UK has plastic Contempors at £30 and the Cataphractii for £20, for future reference. Probably cheaper to get the whole box and sell off the models you don't want or need.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So my group is settled on an escalation campaign, which none of us have ever done. Is there a campaign set in the black books that give guidelines on how to do this?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Awesome - I actually have the books up to #4, but that site is crazy good for books. Actually I might convert some of the PDFs to epub for my e-reader so I can read the text while I'm traveling.

Any tips for tracking who's played who to know what point levels we should be at? We can't play every week usually, so I'm thinking just keep it simple and play 500 points one month, then bump it up each month, which should give most of us the opportunity to play 2 or 3 times at each point level.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sounds good, my playing group is just 4 of us, and apparently the guy at the FW shop at Warhammer World is telling folks his escalation league is just bumping up 200 pts a month, which is actually really manageable for us at our rate of play. One guy lives quite a way away and has 2 little Nurgling, so he can only play maximum 2 times a month and the slow increase will let us handle a 'play it painted' policy. I'm working on some new terrain to surprise the guys with, should be cool!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've decided on AL, one of the things I'll be getting after the Calth box is a Word Bearers Gal Vorbak squad and maybe a Night Lords Terror Squad. I've got a couple of old school Rhino models and just got a Fire Raptor, and I'll probably get Sicarans or something next year. Then maybe the Imperial Fists mega-terminators just for laughs.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TKIY posted:

I'll need to get the rules but that's the Alpha Legion rule that let's them take special units from other legions, correct?

Yup! Like I told the guys I play with, leave it to me to pick the most complicated and expensive to collect legion...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mango Polo posted:

Keep in mind a couple of things about that ability to incorporate another legion-specific units:

1. It's part of their Rite of War (Coils of the Hydra).
2. There's a lot of restrictions attached to it. One extra compulsory troop choice; all units must have a dedicated transport or be able to Deep Strike or Infiltrate; only one Consul allowed.
3. It's still just one unit. Not unit type; a singular unit.

This makes Coils pretty drat hard to use at low points, and still very restrictive at higher levels.

Yeah the low point level distinction is actually good for me, it means I won't be rushing out to buy those squads during the first several months of the escalation league. I told my group on our WhatsApp chat that I really wish we'd done this when we started playing 40K, as I would have saved so much money.

Also it means I can keep a lookout for cool Land Raider variants...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Is there a similar color guide for Dark Angels? I know there's no color plates for them yet as their black book isn't out yet, but one of the players in my group is doing DA and wants me to paint them for him. They seem to be black with silver and white bits, and red wings on the shoulder pauldrons: https://goo.gl/photos/qfMoa3xkiJuN1Nav6

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Considering HH is basically historical 40K and my group is going to be playing the normal Heresy timeline, could I rightly give our Sons of Horus (loyalist) a bunch of poo poo if he plays Abaddon and Horus? I don't want to be a dick about it, it's plastic spacemen, he can barely play as it is, and Horus and Abaddon are cool and all...but playing them as loyalist post-Heresy?

Cythereal posted:

For Alpha Legion stolen units chatter, I don't actually play the tabletop myself ($$$ reasons mainly), but I run a Rogue Trader campaign and all of my players do play the strategy game as well. One plays Alpha Legion in 30k, so I asked her out of curiosity what she usually takes as her stolen unit. She says the Iron Warrior super terminators combined with the Alphas' mutable tactics have never let her down, though lately she's been trying borrowed Invictarus Suzerains (from the Ultramarines) for a melee-oriented list.

Thanks for that, good info! I'll put it in a Google Doc file I keep for notes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

boom boom boom posted:

Just tell him that you know it's actually the Alpha Legion pretending to be Sons of Horus in order to sow confusion.

Well I figured I'd sow confusion by using everyone's special snowflake units against them...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sulecrist posted:

The Eye icon/watermark thingy on Horus' and Abaddon's pages means that they can't be Loyalist.

Really? What about vehicles? I don't have access to my catalogue but I'm sure things like the Fire Raptor, etc have the eye icon too, and I've seen people online using the Storm Eagle (variant of the Fire Raptor) as an Ultramarine flyer.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Paul Rudge from Forge World (book design & production) is all over the Heresy and 40K groups on Facebook with the models he's painting up, I think he does the Death Guard ones and the World Eaters ones are Andy Hoare's, who does some of the game design stuff. They were commenting at the seminars at the 40K open day that maybe they should do some loyalist models, because they only seem to have traitor legions represented.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I finally have my Calth box set! I got the Horus Heresy Model Masterclass Volume One book that was just released also, and just uploaded a review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKNqrcCgQKc

It's long, but thorough, and if you don't have the time I give you the gist in the first minute or so (it's worth the money but could have been better).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

nopantsjack posted:

Can anyone post or link a tutorial on weathering so I can make some old timey beaten up astartes. Without an airbrush preferably.

Foam chipping with very dark silver metallics and weathering powders are your friend.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mango Polo posted:

I think in general it's just FW getting progressively more comfortable with more interesting or unique rules. And often there's a catch, like IF and AL having great legion rules but units that range from meh to outright bleargh.*

* Purely from a power perspective. Headhunters and Wardens have bitchin models

What are the stronger and outlying-est AL rules, then?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sup 30K dudes, I've uploaded a ton of pictures I took from Warhammer Fest:

Forge World area: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1122682271116836.1073741850.796633433721723&type=3
(tried sorting the photos by Knight heads, Mastodon, Warlord, Porphyrion, etc., but Facebook album organizing SUCKS so eh)

Forge World seminar: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1121692631215800.1073741848.796633433721723&type=3

Blood Bowl stuff (plus super close-ups of every model): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1121695161215547.1073741849.796633433721723&type=3&uploaded=46

If you click through the main page link there there's pictures of the exclusive stuff, prices of the Mastodon and Stormbird and other things.

Walkabout video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWQHLf7uWI

I've got Golden Demon photos as well plus many shots of the very cool Iron Warriors/World Eaters display coming, will upload them after editing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SteelMentor posted:

Good stuff. Did you get your hands on any of the new Legion branded dice? Are they decent quality?

I did indeed:

I actually haven't taken them out of the box yet, dice are dice :) the main selling point is that the legion icon is on the 6 side, NOT the 1. They are £1 per die though...and I didn't find that out (or even think to ask) until I was at the till and found out I owed £48 just for dice.

Also just uploaded a 'general' photo album from first thing in the day on Saturday: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1122781097773620.1073741851.796633433721723&type=3

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Forge World Iron Hands vs World Eaters display album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1122868764431520.1073741852.796633433721723&type=3

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Twisted posted:

As soon as the tournament is done on the end of May I'll put it on eBay

It's a shame that you got the book so recently, but when the last Eldar codex was rumored to hit I hadn't even opened the used copy I'd gotten off ebay not long before, so I sold it off and got almost all my money back. The following weekend, the new Eldar Craftworlds book was announced.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

speaking of admech has there been a book that collects the paint schemes of the forge worlds or is it scattered all over?

The FW guys seem undecided how to continue their model masterclass series, but the guy that comes up with their paint recipes told me he wants to do a traitor book and a loyalist book for the legion painting guides. I did a video review of the Horus Heresy Model Masterclass book if you want to see what it's like:

https://youtu.be/kKNqrcCgQKc

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DeadGame posted:

I've been liking the minitare colors. I think their ghost tints are really neat, I just need to find something to use them on.

At the airbrushing course I helped on recently, I taught a guy how to do his Salamanders Sicaran with metallic color modulation, basically zenithal painting dark metallics and fading up to a lighter metallic, then going over that with the Ghost Tint green. Came out so nice he re-primed his Deredeo to do the same effect on that. It's the same thing I'll be doing with my Alpha Legion guys, but with the Ghost Tint Plasma Fluid (which is teal).

Mango Polo posted:

So, the legion red book will be first shown July 17 at the FW open day, and then go on sale some time after. July-August basically, blah.

Hopefully it's for sale at the open day. I'm going with a couple of friends, one of whom has never been to a FW or GW open day/fest, and hasn't seen the museum. That alone should be fun. Hopefully the Mastodon is ready!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mango Polo posted:

I might actually have to hit you up for the event only miniature this time.

Certainly! I have 3 to post off and picked up a couple more for myself, will definitely be getting more at the open day.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Couldn't resist doing an unboxing video for the legion dice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtz7jEwrL8

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DJ Dizzy posted:

Nice. All you need is some annoying music in the background, and you are set for YT stardom.

I'll take that as a compliment! :) I have toyed with doing music understeer voiceover, but not sure if it works really, plus finding the right music is key.

DrPop posted:

Shouts out to krushgroove for getting me the special limited man and nerdwear from Warhammer Fest. Thanks dude!

you're welcome!

Now if I hadn't messed up Hencoe's request it would have all gone smoothly.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 17, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
My pics from yesterday's Forge World open day: https://www.facebook.com/796633433721723/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1163395340378862

I put separate posts with pictures of just the new stuff, just the Mastodon, just the new Deredeo weapons, etc., in the 2 big 40K groups and one or two of the Heresy gaming groups on Facebook too.

My friend and I got there and were first in line at 6:30 AM...except for a guy from Norway who had gotten there at 4:30 (there was a bunch of noise outside his hotel so he said screw it and just got up). Forge World interviewed me for their video though, right at the start:
https://www.facebook.com/ForgeWorldUK/videos/1427400373943905/

I should be recording video of the Mastodon unboxing tonight, I'll try to get it uploaded tonight as well.

e: picked up the limited codex book, but Bligh refused to write in a note that would let me take Unbound, boo

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I talked my Mastodon-buying buddy into bringing the kit over for a video, in case anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYv15d9eFpg