Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Stanyer89 posted:

Blood Angels Tactical Sergeant (90% Complete)

A legion of vampiric Canadian lumberjacks is a legion I can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

The trick is that (things like assault Marines aside) a lot of things aren't over costed per se, they're just inflexible in terms of what you can do with them. So a lot of the list building strategy is kinda similar to eldar aspect warriors - turbosick units at specific jobs but if you leave holes in your coverage (E. G. Anti air) you'll be exploited.

A lot of the 'good' units are ones which are competent at multiple roles which makes them unique. Sure you can try for veteran tacticals to have a more '40k' feel but they're hella expensive for that kind of 'jack of all trades' style.

How closely do the rules play to the fluff?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

BirdieBedtime posted:

Yeah, they only adopted the green heraldry after Luther went bugfuck and the surviving leadership decided they would never tell anybody ever what happened.

"Hey man what happened to your armour, I don't remember it being green?"

"Nooooooooooothing. :gay:"

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Seems legit.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
So what are the hallmark differences between this and 40K? I've played since 3rd ed, with 5th ed being my favourite but I never looked at FW as anything other than "cool and overpowered" models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

To be honest, I've always felt the idea that Forge World was a means of cranking out expensive and overpowered models has always been a bit of a myth. There may have been some truth when they just made Titans and Superheavies, since they're kinda overpowered by design, but since they've moved onto Horus Heresy and producing their own campaign books their rules tend to be more side-grades and alternatives to GW's stuff. TBH the sooner the myth dies the better, it'd be nice to be able to use my Contemptors or my Taghamata without being accused of being a filthy neckbearded power-gamer.

Yeah - when I think of FW it's still mostly the Manta, Titans, expensive terrain pieces, etc. But I see that they have a lot of upgrade spures for HH stuff.
I also don't think you have to use FW to be a filthy neckbearded power-gamer, it's easy enough to do with the basic rules.

BULBASAUR posted:

From my perspective:
  • Only troops score. Dedicated transports do not have obsec and allies cannot ride in each other's transports.
  • No unbound, no formations, no multiple army detachments, no tactical objective cards, and only battle bros confer any benefits.
  • 6 core missions unique to the setting. They favor midfield engagements with a lower emphasis on mobility and more on attrition over time.
  • Melee is a bigger part of 30k. Despite how 7th edition favors shooting, assault happens often due to the number of models involved, the mission types, and how resistant marines are in general.
Those things combined make it a different kind of game than 40k. It feels more 'balanced' despite the crazy amount of options each army has. Also it's not a clusterfuck, unlike 40k.

This is more what I was interested in. It sounds more like 5th or early 6th ed.

So my next question is, does the balance feel like it's there by design or more by happen stance since the majority of models are using the same basic profile? I think by it's nature of marine on marine action it would be significantly easier to balance than when you start including t3 races and so on.