Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

How many points is the Calth set?
I hope they bring out more plastics, the price of resin upgrade kits is insane and with this calth set I can't really make the best legions I.e. white scars and world eaters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Actually come to think of it it's crazy they didn't put the sons of horus in there given theyr the one unique chapter to 30k

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Anybody know anything about White Scars? I'd probably play them if I could learn to paint white right because then I'd be a proper special snowflake and good guy Mongol marines are the best.

I'm guessing they haven't got much love so far but I don't know, would like to make a mobile and tactically cunning army.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Why do the jetbikes look exactly like a dick with a gun coming out of it the urethra. Guess I'm not collecting white scars then.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Can anyone post or link a tutorial on weathering so I can make some old timey beaten up astartes. Without an airbrush preferably.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

poo poo I might be doing it guys I might be buying into this super premium space Barbie game, gonna split the Black Reach and Calth into two roughly 1k pts forces for me and a bud. Seems like ultrasmurfs and word bearers are pretty solid starting teams so ill probably just stick with them even though neither are my favourites.

Getting my painting game in a better place since Bulbasaur basically destroyed all painting techniques I had heretofore ascribed to and I need some metallics and weathering for these ancient spacebarbies.
Even though I'm not even sure ceramite is metallic you guys???

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

My condolences.

But at least please paint the legions that you enjoy.

I'd go for white scars or world eaters but gently caress painting white and everyone and their dad decided to play alpha legion.
Quite liked the way the Word Bearers were in the First Heretic BL book. I always played homebrew chapters with space marines so I'm not attached to any of them. Except maybe Black Templars but they don't exist in 30k.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah the Imperial Fists have some awesome templar'y models but I'm not a fan of their colour scheme or really their motif of just strong defenders holding their dicks on Terra.

Also I know (more or less) how to paint white, but for White Scars I'd want them to look weathered and desert beaten and I'd also want them to have cool looking Asian heads and cool gubbins and treasure decorating them and Asian mini heads don't exist to the standard I'd like and my bitz pile is almost non-existant at the moment. Lots of people convert spacewolves to be them but I'm not really into that.
The scars are probably my favourite chapter, but the main thing keeping me away is the jetbikes that look like some kind of space marine themed Bad Dragon toy.
Sons of Horus are very tempting especially since my first attempt at mixing Ultramarine colours ended up with a pretty good looking Horusy turquoise and also because 10 year old me would have poo poo himself if he'd have known they'd release a Horus model with rules.

I'll probably just stick with Ultras and Word Bearers because I've already started painting the Ultras and they look pretty good. Also apart from Emperor's Children and Iron Hands they probably have the best rivalry and I can make a force of Word Bearers who had their brains broken by Monarchia in much the same way that wingnuts went mad over Obama and moderates went mad over 9/11.

e: also on White Scars, I love White Scars but don't want to buy any bikes. So yeah.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hey 30k test painting buddies.

I was the dude looking at white scars but decided to go with Word Bearers out of a total lack of suitable asian heads.
Those look pretty great though and are similar to what I would have done if I had the skill.

Anyway here's my fellas, also doing Ultras for a buddy.

My first Word Bearer, trying for a metallic style with different washes over runefang then a sorta edge highlight weathering with Necron compound. You can see I still haven't got paint thinning or uniform washes down and theres some pretty crappy smears of metal I need to sort out but I still like it.

I then got excited and painted a few more.

Theres the lonely Ultramarine bro, painted in a slightly different way using mixed metal paints, I've also painted one of them with the same method as my Word Bearers but I don't have the right inks or paints for it.
Still a bunch of sloppy stuff but overall these are easily my favourite marines I've painted.

Waiting on a delivery of new brushes and some metal medium to experiment with.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Those looks pretty good, overall. It has a unique style to it- kinda like a worn, well brushed metal. Is that what you were going for?

e: One problem you might have is that nothing really pops on the models to make them catch your eye. If you are looking for feedback, I would consider adding more saturated highlights to areas like the lenses, metals, and raised armor plates. That should be enough to bring them to life I think.

Thanks, man. Yeah thats sorta what I was going for, figured it sorta looks like they've just hastily changed to their fancy new traitor scheme and then got stuck in. Also got some weathering pigments incoming to play with.
Agreed on nothing really popping, I don't have the right paints to really highlight the green lenses at the moment so I'll be grabbing some of those. I was also thinking of adding light grey to the WB scheme (to symbolise the ashes of monarchia /sperg) but apart from the tactical marine faceplate wasn't sure where to put it and had bought the wrong grey.
How would you suggest highlighting the armour plates? I am looking for feedback here to make my mans as pretty as possible.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Brighter highlights of the same color give a cartoony effect, like on the yellow edges and yellow rivets of my vindicator here:

I do both, which gives an interesting effect, but you'll be fine with one or the other.

Ah yeah, I can see both types in that image on the yellow parts, that looks nice. I'll probably give that a go since a lot of my edges are already somewhat hit with silver.

Thanks for the pro-tips, they're much appreciated.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Endman posted:

I decided to go completely overboard with the battle damage/scuffed armour on my first Ultramarine. He's not complete yet, but I think the effect actually looks pretty rad:

Nice I'm trying something similar, your dude's eyes are way nicer than any of mine though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Endman posted:

It's pretty easy to do if you're interested, just Evil Suns Scarlet with a dot of Troll Slayer Orange at the front most part.

The Duncan method of doing a white line then glazing it is also good.

Nice, I'd forgotten about glazing eyes, I did that for my skaven back in the day before they destroyed Warhammer and I fantasised about a vampire/skaven allied army lead by an undead bretonnian fromage-lord on a throne carried by rats. Luckily they had my back by stopping stocking anything that wasn't plastic and never releasing plastic vampires.

I mainly just lack the steadiness of hand for reliable eyes like those bad boys. I usually do them last though and it looks like thats a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

So is the new age of darkness book not the go to single book for marines then? Or is there no such thing.

I was holding out for it under that impression.